Do co wahes stregthen or shed your hair?

AgapeQueen

Hey ladies...I was just wondering do you lose or gain hair from frequent co washing? I , have personnally noticted more shedding:perplexed...but I love co washing :wallbash:...

Co washing gives your hair moisture. It's an alternative to shampooing which can become drying to some. I personally love co washing.hth

How often do you co wash and is it shedding or breaking? Shedding is normal to a certain extent, but little broken hairs can be a sign that your hair is not balanced. I would start off with a lite protein treatment like cholestorol/15 minutes,plastic cap,under warm dryer, and make sure to use a leave in moisturizer and seal with oil.hth

I co wash every other day some weeks...or evryday on others. Depending my hair style. My hair is not breaking...just shedding, I have been wearing the wet look and after I apply the leave in conditioner I have hair on my hands...not much, but its there....I will try what you said and I will keep you posted on my progress...Thanks:drunk:...by the way who makes a good moisterizer? I was thinking on starting keracare?

Co-washing will definitely increase your shedding. Naturally so, considering that you are washing more frequently than usual. Also, your scalp is cleaner so... the hair can actually fall and not get tangled up on the other hairs. Its no big deal... you're just noticing the shedding more now that you are co-washing.

If you are recieving breakage, then you will need to follow up with a protein. You said you like Aphogee? Well, I use the green tea and keratin revitalizer spray... but you can use any you want. I heard that Big Sexy Hair makes an excellent one. I know for a fact that I would die without Africa's Best Organics Hair Mayo Leave-in.

Co washing softens and hydrates my hair and removes the shed hairs. I have taken a hiatus from my beloved co-washing because of how soft my hair is.

With air drying taking as long as it does with my hair in braid, I have opted out of co-washing instead - I wash my hair as normal on a saturday or sunday and then on wednesday or thursday I will drench my hair in conditioner and top it of with castor oil. A massage and then cover with satin scarf and off to bed. My hair seems to like this. As normal with my moisurizing daily. So it co-washing doesnt work for you, you can try puting on a moisturizing or protein conditioner with a bit of oil and go to bed with it. In the morning hair is moisturised and all soft with the castor oil.

For the most part, my hair likes cowashing. I work out, on average, 5 times a week and I sweat a LOT during my workout. So my hair definitely needs it. However, I don't think my cowashes were as beneficial as they could have been for three reasons:

1. My co-wash shampoo was more of a protein cream rinse than moisturizing

2. I wore twist outs or bantu knots ALL summer long. I rarely wore buns, ponytails or french twists.

3. Up until about 2 weeks ago, I after every cowash, I sat under a dryer on low heat for about 20 to 30 minutes, oftentimes up to 40 to 45 minutes.

So, I've switched to a conditioner that is more moisturizing (EO Hydrating Conditioner, it has chamomile, honey, and coconut milk). I now airdry and I'm starting to wear protective styles more. So, we'll see if it gets better :grin:

Last edited:
I do it everyday.
I swear by it.
Works for me... my hair sheds but not
more or less than if I didn't do daily co-washes...
normal shedding. Strenghten? I don't know...
I guess when I was using MNT to co-wash but
now I use Suave Humectant.

Back