DIY Naturals: How do you deal with the back of your hair?

AmyRose92

Hi everyone! I've been a natural for almost four months and it is definitely a challenge to style my hair (since I've never attempted to do my own hair until now; I would always let my mom do her thing with it). I'm starting to play around with it, see if I can make something work with my hair but then I end up slapping a wig on it because I feel it looks amateur-ish? :ohwell: Last night, I braved two-strand twists and it started coming out pretty well in the front (well, compared to the other attempts I've made) but when I reached the back of my hair, I panicked. I ended up doing two-three big twists and taking myself to bed. :spinning: Since I can't really see back there, I have no idea how my parts are coming out and I end up getting discouraged, thinking it'll look messed up anyways. Has anyone else delt with this? How do you DIY naturals overcome this?

BONUS: What should I do if I have heat damage at the beginning of my hair (near the roots) but not at the ends?

SweetSpirit86

I part my hair into two sections down the middle in the back. I put one half in a ponytail, and then section off rows of hair starting at the bottom while pinning up the top. Then from there, I just feel my way around. I've been doing this for a long time (even while relaxed), so I'm very familiar with how the back of my head feels, and how to maneuver around it. It comes with practice.

Nasdaq_Diva

I always twist from the back to the front. I also dont' use combs to part my hair. I use my fingers. Uniform partings cause for to many spacey gaps.

Anyway, my best advice is: BE CONFIDENT!

If you rock your hair as if you know it looks good, it WILL look good.

Ronnieaj

^^^Cosigning on above.

I finger section across and finger section the parts for the twists. I don't like my scalp showing :nono:. Do it when you can take your time. When I first started doing them I would stop and check every row that I did, now I better know what I'm doing and don't have to do that.

As to your heat damage question, I'll let other more knowledgeable ladies chime in on that :yep:. Good luck!

infojunkie

^^^ And I'm co-signing on posts 3 and 4. I never part with a comb for my twists. I think they look better with no scalp showing. And I too, twist from the back of my head to the front. And for me the smaller they are, they neater they look and longer they last. But since I've reached BSB length I've started making them larger. Just too much hair to twist.

Whimsy

Agreed with nasdaq

start back to front

don't comb part

take deep breaths

don't aim for perfection

keep practicing

Good luck!!

(and post more pics :))

As for the heat damage - just keep dcing and moisturizing, and babying and let that ish grow out :)

constance

I agree with the previous posters re: starting from the back. Not only do you have more patience with an area that tends to be coarser than, say, the front or around the ears, but if you're working with wet hair you may need to detangle/style it before the hair or product dries. If you find yourself getting frustrated~too aggressive with your hair take a break. Also, you can buy one of those large handheld mirrors used at salons at Sally's or other beauty supply stores.

afrikurl

Use two mirrors. I use the medicine cabinet since it opens at an angle to the big mirror. But you can strategically hang a smaller mirror where you normally do your hair so that you can see back there. I personally don't care how the back of my hair looks, the rest of the hair usually covers it anyway.U twist with out a comb on the couch while watching TV.

ETA I wouldn't worry about the heat damage, as you hair grows, it will be in the middle of the strand, which it you are going to have damage, IMO is the best place to have it. I think it can be concealed better

Last edited: