Division Among the Body of Christ

metamorfhosis

Hello-

Probably since Christianity's inception, Christians have debated each other on issues/theology. However, aren't we supposed to be the Body of Christ that will be presented to the LORD without spot or blemish? I have seen a division among Christians in the recent days about their beliefs on: women pastors, creation vs. evolution, JESUS being the only way to GOD, everyone being a child of GOD, plastic surgery, divorce and remarriage, homosexuality, preaching parts of the Bible, etc.

So my question is how can we be one Body with so much division about our beliefs?

Caramela

Hello-

Probably since Christianity's inception, Christians have debated each other on issues/theology. However, aren't we supposed to be the Body of Christ that will be presented to the LORD without spot or blemish? I have seen a division among Christians in the recent days about their beliefs on: women pastors, creation vs. evolution, JESUS being the only way to GOD, everyone being a child of GOD, plastic surgery, divorce and remarriage, homosexuality, preaching parts of the Bible, etc.

So my question is how can we be one Body with so much division about our beliefs?

The bible urges us to be like-minded, on one accord. If we all are going by the same bible, there shouldn't be division. However, the division comes in because man (as always) thinks he can improve on what God has already perfected. When man's traditions and beliefs start mixing with God's, we have a recipe for disaster... also known as denominationalism.

Nice & Wavy

If people within the body of Christ, focus on what God wants all of us to do (leading people to Him so that they don't die in their sins and be separated from God for eternity), instead of getting in the business of what this one is doing and what that one shouldn't be doing, then things can change.

Our focus must be clear....not blurry with a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't help those that are struggling in this life.

In order for the body of Christ to be united, we must be in one accord.

Blessings to all.

metamorfhosis

The bible urges us to be like-minded, on one accord. If we all are going by the same bible, there shouldn't be division. However, the division comes in because man (as always) thinks he can improve on what God has already perfected. When man's traditions and beliefs start mixing with God's, we have a recipe for disaster... also known as denominationalism.

Hi Caramela-

I don't think I have ever heard of "denominationalism". If you have some extra time could you explain this concept please?

divya

As Christians, we are to live by the light that we have. Because we are at different places in our walk with Christ, we may have different understandings. Christianity is a thinking religion, and a religion that is truly one where we are constantly learning and growing. That's where many of these varying beliefs come from. Also, there is sometimes stagnation by choice, because people struggle with various issues or make choices contrary to the will of the Lord. However, as long as we are sincerely following God and living up to the light given to us, the Lord can work on us and use us as examples and ultimately for the spread of the gospel. That is our purpose...it's the process of letting God work in and through us that allows us to become a people without spot or blemish.

divya

Denominationalism comes from people putting a label on where we have come in their understanding of the Word and the stances taken on certain issues. The problem that can come with it is that people can become stagnant, too comfortable, and not strive to learn beyond where we are. But that can happen to someone whether part of a denomination or not.

But not all so-called denominations are about traditions and not every group that is labeled by a denomination actually regards itself as such. For example, my "so-called denomination" for lack of better words, it is Movement. We were formed out of many groups. But we are labeled a denomination and that's alright, as long as we keep moving towards the prize.

Last edited:

Caramela

Hi Caramela-

I don't think I have ever heard of "denominationalism". If you have some extra time could you explain this concept please?

It's the state of division. Denominations. The act of having denominations = denominationalism. That's when you take Christianity, which is supposed to be whole, and start cutting and dividing it up ... then you have catholic, protestant, presbyterian, 7day adventist, baptist, methodist, pentacostal, etc, etc, etc and the list goes on and on and on. Each one is different, although based on the original, yet are all (according to the word) perversions of the Gospel of Christ.

divya

Just wanted to add...Adventism is actually not a denomination, it's a movement. We are born out of numerous denominations. It is labeled incorrectly as such for a number of reasons, including our using the term for clarification. It may seem like semantics but it really isn't. I believe we have greatly fallen away understanding, including myself. However, it is important that we bring it back...

But in a broader sense, every denomination including "Non-denominational" Christians can be considered a denomination because there are core doctrines which people embrace. But this is a good discussion...

Bye ladies, I'm off to church! Have a wonderful day!

Southernbella.

It's the state of division. Denominations. The act of having denominations = denominationalism. That's when you take Christianity, which is supposed to be whole, and start cutting and dividing it up ... then you have catholic, protestant, presbyterian, 7day adventist, baptist, methodist, pentacostal, etc, etc, etc and the list goes on and on and on. Each one is different, although based on the original, yet are all (according to the word) perversions of the Gospel of Christ.

I agree with this.:yep:

Also, man has always twisted the scripture to suit himself. We don't really follow the Bible the way we should, and we rely on others' interpretations of it. That's another way division comes in.

cheetarah1980

At each demonination's core is Christ. Regardless of what day we pick for our Sabbath, whether we baptize children, whether we believe speaking in tongues is necessary for salvation, we all believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah and that through him all nations can receive salvation.

Here's the thing. The Bible is not just a spiritual text. It also records thousands of years of history that happened in a part of the world far removed from the places Christianity flourished. I think we often forget that Christianity originated in the Middle East and the scriptures were written by ancient Middle Eastern Jews.
As we know the Gospel did not take root amongst the majority of Israel, but instead spread throughout Gentile communities. These Gentile communities were not tied to the Hebraic roots of the faith, so certain scripture that would have clear meaning to an Israelite (due to thousands of years of historical teaching) would have completely different meaning to a Gentile not exposed to that life.
Now if you look at that over many centuries it would make sense that over time different people would interpret scriptures differently and apply these different understandings to doctrine and theology. Thankfully, God is good and the main idea was never lost in the minutia. Since the fall of man, God promised a redeemer and he sent that redeemer in the person of Jesus Christ who died for our sins and rose on the 3rd day. Through belief in God's promise of that redeemer we are saved. That's the way it has always been and always will be. As long as we all agree on that, we'll find out if any of the denominations really had it right when we get to the other side.

Ms.Honey

We have the same core of beliefs that's what makes us one.Jesus is Lord, Jesus is God, He is the Christ/Messiah, salvation comes through Him alone and is free to all who desire it etc. How we practice what we believe is not separating the body. Just as our physical bodies have many parts that function differently they still have the same purpose to maintain the body. As long as the way we practice doesn't deny a person from fully receiving the gifts of God we're fine. He has given each Pastor instructions on how to guide his assigned congregation. Doing everything exactly the same way is not necessary. While there are heretic churches out there we can't do a thing about it but preach the Gospel the way He taught us and if a church is of God it'll stand and if not then He'll cause it to crumble.

KhandiB

I agree with your statement.

This is my whole problem with denominations. As a hobby I study them, and I there are over 50,000 demoninations that are "recognized" .

I will have to humble myself one day, because even though I believe most denominations have the same core values, some of the doctrine that is taught by some is very troubling to me and this is what prevents me from getting serious about church. I read the bible regularly, I even have different versions, but some of the teachings that are being taught in various denominations bother me.

*sigh*

I agree with this.:yep:

Also, man has always twisted the scripture to suit himself. We don't really follow the Bible the way we should, and we rely on others' interpretations of it. That's another way division comes in.