Did jojoba oil disagree with your hair?

winnettag

I tried using jojoba oil last week and it seemed to make my hair feel dry/brittle.
I'm wondering if it was just that particular brand or a bad batch?
Has anyone else had a not so great experience with jojoba? :perplexed

Beaute Noire

I'm relaxed and mine loves it. I use a 100% organic brand. I only use it to prepoo though. My mom is a natural loc'd 3c with some parts 4a and she uses it on her hair and scalp everyday. This is all she uses. Her hair is WL and she is 5'11.

Irresistible

I did read that, which made me wonder how it could be that great for hair. :perplexed

I think my hair is the same way, although it does like coconut oil and castor oil. It doesn't like butters much either.
They *whoever they is right?* say its most like our natural sebum

But yeah, I can totally live without it :perplexed

angenoir

It also made my hair dry and brittle so I dont use it any more. My hair also doesnt love coconut oil. It responds better to castor oil and butters. I dont know why.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Yeah my natural hair hated it. Supergirl was raving about it a few weeks ago and I decided to give it a second chance, now that my hair is relaxed. Meh. Sad too 'cause I have a HUGE bottle just sitting here. Maybe I should try it as a pre-poo or something, just to use it up.

ToyToy

My hair and scalp really don't like Jojoba oil for some reason. My scalp just remains dry, and my hair generally doesn't like oils anyway (unless mixed with a water-based moisturiser).
I used to use Jojoba on my face for a while a few winters ago, and it did wonders for my facial skin.

shunemite

Yes! And I was disappointed coz I heard so many good things about it. It makes my hair stringy and it separates. Only thing my hair likes this winter is almond oil.

Summer79

Alone, jojoba was not cool. But after playing with it I learned that if I mix it with a little coconut oil, castor oil, in a bottle with some Sauve conditioner (cause it's light) and maybe a little water to thin it out, it becomes a perfect daily moisturizer for me and my daughter. Not sure of our hair type because well I never really understood that system anyway. But we are both natural. Hope that helps.

Nella

My hair loves jojoba oil. It is one of the best, I can't use carrot oil as it makes my hair itchy and brittle. I also like the wild growth oil as it keeps it nice and soft.

Creatividual

My hair luvs it and retains a lot of moisture with use of it. I use it in my moisturizing mist (water, aloe vera gel/juice, jojoba oil) and my hair shows up and out. It's also in my oil cocktail that I seal with.

katblack

My hair hated it! It really isn't like the sebum at all, or atleast no my sebum. It just seems to sit there on my hair and doesn't much in form of conditioning.

winnettag

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!
I was going to give the Aura Cacia brand a shot that Supergirl was raving about, but I'm just going to leave it alone. (It's a wee bit too expensive to risk not liking another bottle.)
Glad it works for the rest of you!

Thanks for all the feedback ladies!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Maybe it is the brand. I can't imagine a good, quality jojoba oil being wonderful for "our" hair. My hair has loved jojoba for years!

I realize everyone's hair is different though and I can only speak from the perspective of a relaxed sista.

sharifeh

I like it ok....
Don't love it or hate it. the stuff is expensive though...
how do you guys use it for your skin?

Arcadian

I love it. I think the key for some is to not use a lot of it at one time. I also find my hair does better with it after its has been properly moisturized.

I only use 10 drops or so for my entire head (mostly the ends) and I'm MBL.

-A

Kacie

My hair hates to have oils and butters left on it too. I tried the Desert Essence brand jojoba and it was no different for me.

I've tried using as little oil as a needle point size in my hair and it still resulted in brittleness.

winnettag

I love it. I think the key for some is to not use a lot of it at one time. I also find my hair does better with it after its has been properly moisturized.

I only use 10 drops or so for my entire head (mostly the ends) and I'm MBL.

-A

That could pose a problem for me. I tend to be a little...ok, very... heavy handed, but I am getting better.

I tried the jojoba as an overnight prepoo last wash and my hair turned out nice and moisturized in the end, but it could have been from my new leave-in :ohwell:

charmtreese

It also made my hair dry and brittle so I dont use it any more. My hair also doesnt love coconut oil. It responds better to castor oil and butters. I dont know why.

My hair is the same way. castor oil and butters always seem to do the trick for my hair. :yep: