Detangling Sprays/Creams

pet

Hi Girls!

I got a problem with detangling my 4A/4B natural hair. It has been a nightmare for as long as I can remember! If only I can stop losing so much hair during wash days...life would be great!

Now, I have searched the forum...and what everyone seems to say is that when they have conditioner in their hair, they detangle in the shower....I have done that. Once the conditioner is washed out and it's time to detangle again, I have tangles galore! Also, if I detangle a section and leave it along for a minute, it tangles up again...so I need some help!

What are some good detangler sprays/creams that you know of that can be used after you have washed your hair? I don't want conditioner suggestions, because I have good conditioners. Also, I press my hair, so I need a spray that would not affect the way my hair presses.

Thanks so much!

~Pet

ms.blue

I use qhemet cocoa detangling ghee which is a cream. After I detangle, I twist my hair to limit tangling.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm a tangler!! Here's my new process --
(1) section hair in 4 quadrants
(2) carefully comb and detangle on dry hair
(3) braid hair (you should have 4 braids when done) and secure with rubber bands

co-wash in shower by
(4) unbraid one section and apply condish, massage hair, rinse, apply more condish, rebraid & secure with rubber band. move to next section and repeat. put shower cap on when done.
(5) shower my body and let condish sit in hair for a little bit
(6) unbraid a section, rinse out condish and detangle with shower comb by allowing the force of the water to help detangle hair. rebraid section and secure with rubber band. move to the next section and repeat.

once out the shower, unbraid one section, apply mane & tail detangler, leave-ins, etc and comb through hair. move to next section and repeat. the results are (for me) absolutely no tangles by doing this. i know i have a lengthy process but it's well worth it. btw, i scarf air dry.

Last edited:

pet

Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into those products.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Ms.Christ3n

I agree with msblue and divachyk.

To keep your hair from retangling because of shrinkage, braid your hair after detangling each section in the shower.

Pompous Blue

I'm a tangler!! Here's my new process --
(1) section hair in 4 quadrants
(2) carefully comb and detangle on dry hair
(3) braid hair (you should have 4 braids when done) and secure with rubber bands

co-wash in shower by
(4) unbraid one section and apply condish, massage hair, rinse, apply more condish, rebraid & secure with rubber band. move to next section and repeat. put shower cap on when done.
(5) shower my body and let condish sit in hair for a little bit
(6) unbraid a section, rinse out condish and detangle with shower comb by allowing the force of the water to help detangle hair. rebraid section and secure with rubber band. move to the next section and repeat.

once out the shower, unbraid one section, apply mane & tail detangler, leave-ins, etc and comb through hair. move to next section and repeat. the results are (for me) absolutely no tangles by doing this. i know i have a lengthy process but it's well worth it. btw, i scarf air dry.

I love a reply like this that is detailed and full of instructions. I cut and pasted your post for future reference. I'm still in the TWA stage and can't braid my hair in sections.

I am natural, c-napp and to combat tangles, I use sareca's oil rinse methods. It melts my tangles and knots away. Don't sleep on Oil Rinses

Typically I ignore threads about detangling methods and products. I have for the last year or so. I thought my hair's health or my big chop had something to do with how easily it detangles. That is absolutely NOT the case. The oil-rinse method is why it detangles so easily. My hair completely detangles under just running water! Keep in mind I've recently adopted a low manipulation regimen. So the last time I detangled was at least a week (or more) ago.

If you're having problems with tangles try this...
1. Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
2. Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, jojoba, castor, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter--- my favorite is an amla, castor mix)
3. Rinse with warm/hot water
4. Apply conditioner
5. Rinse with cool/cold water
6. Apply leave-in
7. Seal
I'm not alone other people think it a miracle too...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2679989#post2679989

The part that makes it an oil rinse is using conditioner to help rinse some of the oil from your hair. Everything else is just a pre-poo, hot oil treatment, or an oil wash.

Don't sleep on oil rinses! It may be your hair miracle.

I also use Califia Moisturizing Spray:
Created for tightly curled or coarse hair. This detangling moisturizing spray helps control frizz and softens hair while adding volume. This product is excellent for dry thirsty hair. Follow with a hair lotion or moisture sealant. pH Balance 4.5
It melts the tangles away from my tightly coarse hair.

Kneechay

Sebastian Detangling Milk. I swear by this. It literally melts away tangles. I also suggest making sure to wash in sections and detangling with a shower comb during conditioning.