Detangling in the shower?

seeminglysweet

Detangling in the shower is favored among many, I also do it.

But many people often say "I only lost ___ strands of hair while detangling in the shower"

I'm wondering if the pressure from the shower that helps loosen tangles could also be pushing loose strands down the drain instead of them holding on to the teeth in your comb. Making you think that you only lost 5 strands of hair.

I say this because hair sheds, it just does. So if you only comb in the shower, have been doing braid/twist outs for the past month and you are still only loosing 5 strands of hair in the shower each week I'm thinking that these shedding hairs have to be going somewhere

camellia

I do most of my detangling in the shower but I lose the same amount of hair as I do when I detangle out of the shower. I have an extra hair trap in my shower and I clean the hair out after every time I wash my hair. We have an older house and if I wasn't careful I'd clog up the pipes with my hair.

It used to really bother me to see the amount of hair in my comb after I was done combing, but one day I actually counted each hair and there were about thirty five hairs in there. I don't think that's too bad. As your hair grows longer the amount shed looks like a lot more than it really is.

ravenmerlita

My hair seems to shed periodically (versus the same amount each day, every day). I'll go weeks shedding only a couple of hairs each morning when I detangle in the shower, then there'll be a few weeks when I shed a whole lot more (dozens of hairs) each day.

so so chic

I really think that this is true. I've been detangling in the shower lately and have been "thinking" I wasn't losing that much hair, but today I was trying to clean hair from the drain, and you should have seen all of that hair. I think I need to find one of those hair traps camellia mentioned.

planodiva

ravenmerlita said:
My hair seems to shed periodically (versus the same amount each day, every day). I'll go weeks shedding only a couple of hairs each morning when I detangle in the shower, then there'll be a few weeks when I shed a whole lot more (dozens of hairs) each day.

I experience this type of shedding. I guess it goes in cycles but it is strange to me.

Allandra

I use a hair catcher when I shampoo my hair because I don't plan on clogging my pipes with my shedded hair. Even though I use the hair catcher, I don't count the shedded hair strands although I'm certain it's way more than five strands. I never got into counting shedded hair. :lol:

senimoni

LOL @ 5 threads. I've wondered that too, b/c when I comb right out of the shower I usually see way more than what I saw in the shower so I assumed I just wasn't seeing all that was lost. I will say that I do use it as a measure even though some hair is loss, before MSM I had tons of hair in the shower, now its only 3 strands..haha...I kid, but seriously it is a lot less.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
seeminglysweet said:
Detangling in the shower is favored among many, I also do it.

But many people often say "I only lost ___ strands of hair while detangling in the shower"

I'm wondering if the pressure from the shower that helps loosen tangles could also be pushing loose strands down the drain instead of them holding on to the teeth in your comb. Making you think that you only lost 5 strands of hair.

I say this because hair sheds, it just does. So if you only comb in the shower, have been doing braid/twist outs for the past month and you are still only loosing 5 strands of hair in the shower each week I'm thinking that these shedding hairs have to be going somewhere
I've been wondering this same thing. When I hear so many people say they loose like 2 strands when they wash it makes me feel bad, like I'm doing something wrong. It also makes me wonder how they know they only lost x amount of hair. When I detangle in the shower most of my hair goes down the drain or some other unknown place, lol. The other day when I got out i saw a big ball of it dangling from the shower curtain.....I know I ain't counting that, lmao.

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
Pokahontas said:
The other day when I got out i saw a big ball of it dangling from the shower curtain.....I know I ain't counting that, lmao.
lol

mine also ends up on various parts of my body. That's where I think the majority end up.