Benefits of detangling hair in shower???

northernbelle

While reading a recent post on a detangling comb, a question emerged:

What are the benefits to detangling hair in the shower?

Educate me, please.

I thank you in advance.

northernbelle

The force of the water running through your hair while you are combing it makes is so much easier to detangle. I do this while rinsing off my conditioner (after having it on my hair with a cap for 25-30 min.) The running water seems to help separate the hair strands and so there isn't unneccesary loss of hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
The force of the water running through your hair while you are combing it makes is so much easier to detangle. I do this while rinsing off my conditioner (after having it on my hair with a cap for 25-30 min.) The running water seems to help separate the hair strands and so there isn't unneccesary loss of hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Works like a charm with a good conditioner on those days when you aren't using heat.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

[/ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

This aided me tremendously in my WOT (War on Tangles) this summer. Also, I comb my hair out thoroughly before shampooing and I finger comb my hair while the shampoo is still in it to prevent any tangles from forming. My hair is detangled so well that once I put the conditioner in, I don't have to do any combing. Just when I rinse out the conditioner, I finger comb while the water is running through it.
smile.gif

I HAVE to detangle in the shower...especially since I am still transitioning and I do not want to put uneccesary stress on the permed ends of my hair...the force of the water and the lubricant of the conditioner have helped me to keep my hair throughout the whole process.

I agree with what is already said. Also, you have less tangles than when you hold your head over the sink, then have to push your hair back in the opposite direction to comb it...anyway you get it...lol

I'm wondering... whether you really get less hair loss during comb out or if you just don't notice it because the air is washing down the drain instead of accumilating in your comb? Does anyone know for sure?

I will try this method of detangling none-the-less today.

Good point, TG.
scratchchin.gif
Perhaps a good experiment would be to put a stopper in the drain and see how much hair accumulates after washing. But I prefer washing my hair in the sink anyway and I can see how much hair comes out after the stopper catches it, and it is still significantly less than if I weren't to do anykind of combing, whether with a comb or with my fingers.

But overall for me, fingercombing while the water runs through it makes a world of difference.
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree with this. Another thing i should add is when I try and do my hair over the sink, i wind up with a massive amount of tangles and lost hair no matter how gentle i am.

i use a hair catcher in the tub. so i collect all the hair that i lose while combing in the shower. i definitely lose less hair then vs. waiting until after i shower.

I prefer to detangle in the shower because I use Creme of Nature shampoo and it makes my hair so soft that it detangles on contact, so I just go ahead and comb through once and I'm done. I lose little-to-no hair this way, and detangling in the shower saves me time on styling. It works great dor me.

I like to detangle this way because if I'm going to airdry curly, I don't have to disturb the curl formation after its already begun to dry.

Yep - same for me. All of this detangling keeps me from having a lot of detangling to do when I'm out of the shower so I use less leave-in (the necessary amount...I don't have to overdo it now).

Thanks, ladies, for all of the responses re:detangling hair in the shower.

Now that I have come to like shampooing in the shower, I now will have to try combing out in the shower. Hee Hee!

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
Thanks, ladies, for all of the responses re:detangling hair in the shower.

Now that I have come to like shampooing in the shower, I now will have to try combing out in the shower. Hee Hee!

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]
It will make all the difference. You will hardly have to detangle once you get out! I love it!

Back