Desperately Seeking Natural Relaxers

Tigerlily25

I went natural with my BC experience which I loved, it was great, and 5 years later I'm still growing strong. I am currently at SL hoping for MBL and maybe even WL.

During the first 4 years since BC, I used Naturalaxer to texturize. Loved it, it's more like a DC which left all of my curl pattern intact, but softer and mroe manageable.

Here's a step-by-step application
http://www.naturalaxer.com/jordansteps.html

I applied all over, with no parting or sectioning, I just slathered it on my hair like conditioner, left it on for 15 minutes and rinse out.

I switched to Forever Soft later, which yielded the desired results as well. I wanted something to soften but left the curl pattern ALONE....:swordfigh

http://www.justbeautifulhair.com/index2.htm

The trouble is, although they both claim to be natural and non-chemical, and even my friend the beautician says they are nothing more than a good DC that doesn't have anything to relax, they both have THAT smell... smells like a chemical relaxer to me :perplexed. I want something pure and natural, leaves the hair soft, manageable, without straightening the curl pattern. I don't mind a little stretch, but nothing too much further cause I loves my curls. I flat-iron from time to time but mostly go for wash-n-wear look.

I saw a natural relaxer thread started in the children's haircare section that looks promising. Itz uses it on her daughter's hair...amazingly it's just three ingredients: coconut cream, coconut oil, and plain yogurt...wow, sounds yummy! I'm not good with hair recipes :nono:, so does anyone know of any other ready-made natural relaxers out there... ?

Fhrizzball

You can always try the caramel treatment or the coconut milk/lime treatment. Replacing it with full fat plain yogurt works too.

What are the ingredients these "natural relaxers"? I'm still not complete convinced with these type of products only because if it change the texture of the hair it must contain some type of chemical. I could be wrong I'm no expert. However, I did find a YouTub video on how to make natural relaxer with coconut cream. I may give this a try once I reach full should length.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBLGdTOGT4

Tigerlily25

What are the ingredients these "natural relaxers"? I'm still not complete convinced with these type of products only because if it change the texture of the hair it must contain some type of chemical. I could be wrong I'm no expert. However, I did find a YouTub video on how to make natural relaxer with coconut cream. I may give this a try once I reach full should length.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBLGdTOGT4

I'm at work right now, but I'll post the ingredients when I get home later. I remember Shawn (licensed cosmetologist friend) looked at the ingredients, I try to check with her about stuff...:rolleyes:, and got the thumbs up from her. She said there are no chemicals in it the either one, despite the chemical smell. I don't know what's the deal... but, they didn't straighten my hair in the least. Left me glossy ringlets, for real. But still... the naggin' feeling is was due to the scent, ya know what I mean?!? Some of the ingredients were not recognizable to me, so I deferred to the experts...

Tigerlily25

You can always try the caramel treatment or the coconut milk/lime treatment. Replacing it with full fat plain yogurt works too.

The caramel treatment is promising, and it sounds interesting, and it worked for a lot of people......BUT... darn those sticky ingredients :nono:. I already had a bad experience with Castor Oil. Lawd, lawd, lawd, this stuff did not want to let go and wash out so I'm not looking forward to putting another set of sticky stuff of in my hair anytime soon....:lachen:.

Do tell me more about this coconut milk & lime treatment...that's it? Just TWO ingredients for soft, manageable natural hair... tell me I'm not dreaming :drunk:. What do I do? How much do I mix? Do you consider it a DC or a Leave-in...tell me chile, don't leave me hangin like this...LOL :spinning:.

msa

The caramel treatment is promising, and it sounds interesting, and it worked for a lot of people......BUT... darn those sticky ingredients :nono:. I already had a bad experience with Castor Oil. Lawd, lawd, lawd, this stuff did not want to let go and wash out so I'm not looking forward to putting another set of sticky stuff of in my hair anytime soon....:lachen:.

Do tell me more about this coconut milk & lime treatment...that's it? Just TWO ingredients for soft, manageable natural hair... tell me I'm not dreaming :drunk:. What do I do? How much do I mix? Do you consider it a DC or a Leave-in...tell me chile, don't leave me hangin like this...LOL :spinning:.

Well I use caramel and I blend it up and it's not sticky at all, just creamy.

But if you want to use fewer ingredients I'd suggest yogurt and lemons, over coconut and lime. The yogurt and lemons seems easier to deal with and it's the same chemical, lactic acid, that will be doing the work.

Yogurt (full fat) and lemons is like a protein DC but it does have some "relaxing" effects. PM naturalgurl about it, she does it and you can see in her siggy that her hair has smoothed out. Also, do a search on the board for coconut/lime, yogurt lemons, and caramel (the "yum caramel" thread) and you will find a lot of information.

Also, you can try looking for information on using baking soda as a texturizer. It seems that people report than when using a lot and letting it sit for a minute it does help to get rid of some frizziness and elongate the curl a bit. It has helped make my hair more manageable but I only use it as shampoo so I don't know its full effect.

As you saw from the other products you used, when natural hair is moisturized well it hangs better and is easier to manage. So no matter what you do, stay on top of your DC's (at least weekly) and moisturizing.

Last edited:

Tigerlily25

Well I use caramel and I blend it up and it's not sticky at all, just creamy.

But if you want to use fewer ingredients I'd suggest yogurt and lemons, over coconut and lime. The yogurt and lemons seems easier to deal with and it's the same chemical, lactic acid, that will be doing the work.

Yogurt (full fat) and lemons is like a protein DC but it does have some "relaxing" effects. PM naturalgurl about it, she does it and you can see in her siggy that her hair has smoothed out. Also, do a search on the board for coconut/lime, yogurt lemons, and caramel (the "yum caramel" thread) and you will find a lot of information.

Also, you can try looking for information on using baking soda as a texturizer. It seems that people report than when using a lot and letting it sit for a minute it does help to get rid of some frizziness and elongate the curl a bit. It has helped make my hair more manageable but I only use it as shampoo so I don't know its full effect.

As you saw from the other products you used, when natural hair is moisturized well it hangs better and is easier to manage. So no matter what you do, stay on top of your DC's (at least weekly) and moisturizing.

THANK YOU.....:dance7:!!!

This is incredible and I'm happy beyond words. This is exactly what I desire for my hair...but it was so hard to explain it to the local BSS owners. I'm on cloud nine right about now... and I can't thank you enough....thank you thank you thank YOU.I know the BSS and hair care websites can't stand this Forum....:lachen::lachen::lachen:.

Last edited:

HeavenlySkies

THANK YOU.....:dance7:!!!

This is incredible and I'm happy beyond words. This is exactly what I desire for my hair...but it was so hard to explain it to the local BSS owners. I'm on cloud nine right about now... and I can't thank you enough....thank you thank you thank YOU.I know the BSS and hair care websites can't stand this Forum....:lachen::lachen::lachen:.

Ive been thinking about using the baking soda thing how did you use it?

msa

Ive been thinking about using the baking soda thing how did you use it?

I just use it to shampoo...about a palmful to 16oz of water...and it's only on long enough to get my hair clean.

I know LittleGoldenLamb used A LOT...check out her fotki because she did a long review of it. I know she made a thread on it here as well about it burning.

I think you have to find a good balance between too little and too much. I think you also need to leave it on a while and do it consistently (like once a week). Also, BS can be VERY drying because it's a clarifier, so you would need to use a super moisturizing conditioner after and you might want to pre-treat with oil or something first.

Search "baking soda rinse" either here or on google (baking soda rinse site:longhaircareforum.com) and you should get a lot of results.

Lucky's Mom

Oh boy. What is this "just Beautiful" product? Lawd.....:rolleyes:

Anyway..................
Ok - Caramel ( or Carmelux - available at www.etaeproducts.com) or sour cream with lemons might work well for you.

msa

IMHO Natural Relaxers do not exist, oxymoron.

So true...if it actually relaxes then it must be a caustic chemical. If it's all natural then it definitely isn't going to give you relaxer results. If it did, NO ONE would ever use relaxers. Even natural lye doesn't "relax" the hair as good as manufactured lye relaxers.

Tigerlily25

IMHO Natural Relaxers do not exist, oxymoron.

Okay, okay, okay, you got me on that one...so true :lachen:. See, I told ya it is hard to explain.... I want something to soften the hair, even loosen the curl pattern a little bit but that is not a chemical... seems like a mouthful so I just come up with natural relaxer... don't want a chemical in this head :nono:.

Oh boy. What is this "just Beautiful" product? Lawd.....:rolleyes:

Anyway..................
Ok - Caramel ( or Carmelux - available at www.etaeproducts.com) or sour cream with lemons might work well for you.

Ooh...sour cream and lemons seems easy enough even for me :lachen:! Where do you ladies come up with this stuff.... I'm so happy I found this forum...I don't feel so weird anymore...:lachen: We "get" it, it's them that's strange and different...:yep::yep:

The Just Beautiful Forever Soft is a Texturizer. All I found was the little brochure that comes with the jar and the jar does not have the ingredients on it. Here is the writing on the jar: Healthy Hair Growth. Chemical Free and 100% natural. The creator is an older woman/salon owner named Julia Smith. Ms. Julia told me she developed the recipe in her salon and has used on family, friends, clients over the years... I love talking to her cause she is such a cool old girl. I started ordering this when I was overseas from her website but when I returned stateside I would go pick it up in person. All of her granddaughters have long hair and of course they swear by all of the products. Call the salon, see for yourself...they are all pretty nice, easy-going and will answer all of your questions.... which is what I did way back when I first discovered this stuff. It's been a while since I called the salon, but the last time I called to place an order, the woman, not sure who she was but it wasn't Julia, kept finishing my sentences for me...not in a rude way but in a funny way...too cute.:grin:.

One 16 oz jar lasts years for me cause I only use sparingly, every 6 months but Ms. Julia says you can use it more often if you like super soft hair. I spread it out so far apart because my hair is so thin and it would be too flat if I used it more often. I still have almost a full jar left, as I tend to buy two jars at a time :rolleyes:. I was hoping to find something that smelled better...and not smell like it is a relaxer.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

Okay, okay, okay, you got me on that one...so true :lachen:. See, I told ya it is hard to explain.... I want something to soften the hair, even loosen the curl pattern a little bit but that is not a chemical... seems like a mouthful so I just come up with natural relaxer... don't want a chemical in this head :nono:.

Ooh...sour cream and lemons seems easy enough even for me :lachen:! The Just Beautiful Forever Soft is a Texturizer.

All I found was the little brochure that comes with the jar and the jar does not have the ingredients on it. Here is the writing on the jar: Healthy Hair Growth. Chemical Free and 100% natural. The creator is an older woman/salon owner named Julia Smith. Ms. Julia told me she developed the recipe in her salon and has used on family, friends, clients over the years... I love talking to her cause she is such a cool old girl. I started ordering this when I was overseas from her website but when I returned stateside I would go pick it up in person. All of her granddaughters have long hair and of course they swear by all of the products. Call the salon, see for yourself...they are all pretty nice, easy-going and will answer all of your questions.... which is what I did way back when I first discovered this stuff.

One 16 oz jar lasts years for me cause I only use sparingly, every 6 months or Ms. Julia says you can use it more often if you like super soft hair. I spread it out so far apart because my hair is so thin and it would be too flat if I used it more often. I'm still have almost a full jar left, as I tend to buy two jars at a time :rolleyes:. I was hoping to find something that smelled better...and not smell like it is a relaxer.

I understand. Thanks for Sharing..... :yep: I like sticking with the stuff in the fridge... You might too!!!

It will be cheaper. Sour cream costs about 1.50....