Design Essentials lo-lye vs time release

pmichael52172

Hey ya'll!

Some of you may already know but I've been asked a couple of times about the difference between these two relaxers and I didn't know.

I finally talked to one of the chemists at DE in Georgia and she said:

"The lo-lye w/ shea butter works more like a texturizer. Ito contains lithium hydroxide with is a very low level of hydroxide and it won't give you that bone straight result.

The time release is also considered a mild relaxer. It contains sodium hydroxide and the longer you leave it on the more it straights or breaks down the bonds. You could still get a texturized result if you don't leave it on long, but the lo-lye has shea butter so it won't be as moisturizing as the lo-lye."

Those were her words, now here are mine. I'm under the impression that both are good for fine hair. I can attest to the texturized results of the time release which is why my hair looks like a fro and I'm only 4 weeks into my touch up.

When I run out of the time release, I'm going back to the lo-lye... by way of TheRoots company on Ebay of course! My stylist used lo-lye on me while I had streaks in my hair. Now I see why.

Hope this sheds light on any questions.

Healthb4Length

Even though I was underprocessed with the lo-lye relaxer, I must say that I am impressed. The underprocessing was my error, my underprocessed hair has remained soft and moisturized and I liked the wave pattern somewhat. When I do another touch-up I'll go over the bad parts. I hope I'm successful the next go round.

I was interested in the Time release formula but I'll stick with the lo-lye for now.

dynamic1

Hey ya'll!

Some of you may already know but I've been asked a couple of times about the difference between these two relaxers and I didn't know.

I finally talked to one of the chemists at DE in Georgia and she said:

"The lo-lye w/ shea butter works more like a texturizer. Ito contains lithium hydroxide with is a very low level of hydroxide and it won't give you that bone straight result. .

Unless the formula changed, Lo-lye also contains Sodium Hydroxide (in addition to the lithium hydroxide).

Crystalicequeen123

The time release is also considered a mild relaxer. It contains sodium hydroxide and the longer you leave it on the more it straights or breaks down the bonds. You could still get a texturized result if you don't leave it on long, but the lo-lye has shea butter so it won't be as moisturizing as the lo-lye."

Those were her words, now here are mine. I'm under the impression that both are good for fine hair. I can attest to the texturized results of the time release which is why my hair looks like a fro and I'm only 4 weeks into my touch up.

Hmmm...I'm a bit confused about the statement above in bold. Did you mean that the TIME-Release relaxer doesn't have shea butter in it, so it WON'T be as moisturizing as the Lo-lye relaxer? Or, did you mean something else?? I'm trying to figure out which one she said was more moisturizing.

pmichael52172

In a nutshell... yes. The "it" was referring to the Time Release. So it also reads.

"You could still get a texturized result if you don't leave the Time Release on long, but the lo-lye has shea butter so the Time Release won't be as moisturizing as the lo-lye."

Sorry for the confusion.

When I run out of Time release, I'm switching to the Lo-lye again because I plan to get streaks again for the spring/summer.

Crystalicequeen123

In a nutshell... yes. The "it" was referring to the Time Release. So it also reads.

"You could still get a texturized result if you don't leave the Time Release on long, but the lo-lye has shea butter so the Time Release won't be as moisturizing as the lo-lye."

Sorry for the confusion.

When I run out of Time release, I'm switching to the Lo-lye again because I plan to get streaks again for the spring/summer.

Ohhhh..okay thanks! Now it makes sense. :D

So, you really liked the lo-lye relaxer? I've had it before a couple of years back, and I liked it too, but it never got my hair straight STRAIGHT. I guess I listened to my mom too much, because after a while, I started to get tired of my mildly-relaxed hair. :ohwell:

But now that I look back, that lo-lye relaxer was probably the best thing I did for my hair. My hair was thickening up, my hair was stronger and had more elasticity, and it grew longer than it has ever grown. Not sure if that's due to the mild relaxer in itself, but it's definitely something to think about.

I'm thinking to go back to the DE mild with shea butter. Would you recommend it as far as using it as a mild relaxer (not a texturizer)?

tapioca_pudding

I really think I'm going to make DE my next relaxer. :yep:

I like my hair straight, not texturized. But I recently discovered (Thanks to LHCF) that I have fine/medium, dense hair. So if I'm understanding this post correctly, I can use the time release formula to get straight results?

pmichael52172

I really think I'm going to make DE my next relaxer. :yep:

I like my hair straight, not texturized. But I recently discovered (Thanks to LHCF) that I have fine/medium, dense hair. So if I'm understanding this post correctly, I can use the time release formula to get straight results?

Yes. I have fine/thin (but healthy) hair and I use time release. I really like the relaxer.

tapioca_pudding

Yes. I have fine/thin (but healthy) hair and I use time release. I really like the relaxer.

Thanks for responding! :) I'm gonna order it off ebay today, just wanted to be sure I got the right one. I don't texlax, but I don't like bone straight either. So we'll see what happens. :)