Dealing with potential trolls...

pebbles

Hello Ladies,

I hope you are all well.
In light of the events that took place today on the board, I wanted to take this time to give you ladies some advice on dealing with trolls. I wasn't logged on at the time and didn't see what took place, but after all of the PM's I've received, I thought it would be good to address this subject.

For those who don't know, a troll is a person who logs onto a message board and starts making statements that are meant to incite negative reactions from members. Their sole purpose is to cause an uproar and get everyone upset. If they can make enough nasty comments to get people angry enough to respond to their posts, they have achieved their objectives.

We're going to get them. There isn't much that can be done about that.

But, you do have some power over them. The best thing to do is to starve a troll. Don't feed them, don't give them what they want. Your best line of defense is to ignore them until someone comes along and just shuts the thread down all together. They can't enjoy themselves that much if no-one responds to what they're saying. No response takes all the fun out of their silly antics.

I know this can be difficult because the urge to put some of these individuals in their place can be overwhelming.
Believe me, I do understand the desire to tell some folks off.
But often times, it just makes matters worst.

So ladies, enjoy your time on the board. It was created for like-minded women to come together and talk about hair, and a lot of other topics. Should a troll happen to cross your path, ignore them if you can. It's one time when your silence will speak volumes.

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member
Yes Pebbles is right, Trolls will always pop up, on virtually every discussion board. This happened a while back and will happen again in the future. There are articles on trolls, if anyone could find literature, and post the link, that would be great!

Well said Pebbles,

I know from previous boards that the best treatment is to ignore them. That's the ultimate insult to the because they WANT your attention.

I always have and will treat them like they don't exist

adrienne0914

dang, i always miss all the fireworks, but it's probably best cuz yall know i forgot my blood pressure medication today. lol!

anyway, very wise words...

adrienne

Leigh

I ususally ignore them too but I had to say something today. I didn't say it in a very negative way either in my opinion. I'd like to think it was thought provoking.

Leigh

Crysdon

Thanks for addressing this Pebbles.

I will do my best not to reply to the trolls. I know there is no excuse to go back and forth with trolls, but I am on the rag today and I didn't have such a good day at work, so this was the icing on the cake, so to speak

Tracy

Thanks for this Pebbles. I understand why everyone was so upset - it was merited certainly - but we can't entertain this kind of behavior for too long.

Most people who posted handled themselves well IMO. None of our wonderful members REALLY showed out even tho they so could have.

Well done ladies. And thanks to the moderators for handling it so quickly and efficiently.

And thanks for posting the link to the information about trolls to. Interesting first ammendment dicussion...

Moderators of message boards have SO much to think about!

Thanks again guys....

adrienne0914

i have a bunch of sites that i've collected over the last few months. i've been waiting forever to use that one!

G

Thanks Beverly and Pebbles

Yesterday was a mess! But thank goodness there are mature people here who will not indulge trollish nonsense. Adrienne that graphic is so cute. You and sweetcocoa seem to find very nice graphics.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Ack! I missed all the fun! The glorious British Telecom's routers were overloaded yesterday and I lost my internet connection at home and I only managed to have a look at the forum today

Nevermind. Trolls will be trolls.

Nikos

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
A notice to everyone - and especially the "ladies" that tried to cause distress to the ladies in this community:

I am sure that you (the 5 that got banned) can read this thread since it is open to guests. Hence this message is for you:

I have recorded what you said and when you said it. I also recorded your IP and your email addresses.

I had email discussions with both Yahoo (the emails) as well as the University of Stanford in Chicago. Also I emailed your ISP's and most of them have responded.

What you did was pretty serious and it does have grounds for legal action against you. We have tracked you down and we CAN take actions against you for grievance caused to the members here. If I am to ask for written proof from the girls here I am sure I am going to get loads and loads of replies, hence it is going to get really messy for you.

This is the deal then: Stay out of here and go to the forum that you are regulars. There you can talk about this forum but you are not allowed to be in here. I know which one it is and rest assured that if you do this again I will push this as far as it goes with any action necessary to ensure the happines of the members of this community.

As for all the current members that even consider causing trouble just to fill their miserable lives: Our family here has no place for you. Hence if you are considering a similar stunt, better leave now - you have been warned.

Nikos

Radiance

It really is a crying shame that this has occured. I had posted some info about my thermal reconditioning consultation but I think I will erase the phone number I listed because I would hate to have a bunch of crazy people call that salon just because members here choose to relax their hair

Armyqt

Now THAT is what I'm talking about!! Go Nikos, it's ya Birthday
. Very, Very well said Nikos. That's why we cherish you soooo

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Thanks Crysdon and Armyqt.

I am a reasonable person with loads of patience (I am a Taurus you see...) but if anyone pisses me off they'd better disappear.

Unfortunately last night my internet connection was not working otherwise I would have taken even harsher measures.

Nobody is allowed to hurt my friends.

Nikos

Country gal

Thanks, Pebbles for always doing a great job keeping us informed. I know have a nicer name I can use for those people, trolls.

Kitkat

Wow . . . don't mess with Nikos!!!!

Mild mannered moderator by day
. . . fearsome protector of LCHF at night
!!!! Nikos, I'm glad you're on my side. Wouldn't want to make an enemy out of you!!

Thanks so much for everything you, and all of the moderators, do for us here. We really appreciate it.

pebbles

Holy cow!!! Nikos, you don't play around. Excellent!!
It's time for people to stop that nonsense.

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member
LOL @ Nikos, you don't play, I am glad you are on my side we love you too Nikos

NayNay

Nikos U r the man!!!!!! Thank you and I am glad u are on our side too!!!
Our KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOUR!

Three cheers for NIKOS or 3 million cheers for NIKOS!!!!!!!!