De-tangling! Help!

I can't wear my hair in 'protective styling' like twists on a daily basis due to my job. I also find that bunning is not ideal for my hair, so I twist my hair at night and finger style in the morning.

With regards to detangling, my hair absolutely LOVES the tangle teaser. I normally would comb out enough shed hair about 2/3 of the size of a dime. Now its countable hairs at WORST.

I am natural, 3c/4a.

As an odd ball question, I noticed that you live in England. do you know if you have hard or soft water? I remember a thread from a few other LHCF-ers who had problems that went back to the type of water in their area. Consider checking this out as a potential idea.

Also, how's your diet? Are you stressed? are you sleeping enough and getting enough exercise? All things that can contribute to the overall health of our hair.

I can't wear my hair in 'protective styling' like twists on a daily basis due to my job. I also find that bunning is not ideal for my hair, so I twist my hair at night and finger style in the morning.

With regards to detangling, my hair absolutely LOVES the tangle teaser. I normally would comb out enough shed hair about 2/3 of the size of a dime. Now its countable hairs at WORST.

I am natural, 3c/4a.

As an odd ball question, I noticed that you live in England. do you know if you have hard or soft water? I remember a thread from a few other LHCF-ers who had problems that went back to the type of water in their area. Consider checking this out as a potential idea.

Also, how's your diet? Are you stressed? are you sleeping enough and getting enough exercise? All things that can contribute to the overall health of our hair.

yeeas, i do live in England lol, do you know how i find out if my water is hard or soft? :D
umm, my diets ok i guess, i need more sleep i guess.

You might be able to call you town's Department of Public Works (or something similar) to ask. Otherwise, there is a small relatively inexpensive kit that you can purchase from your local hardware store (or Home Depot if you have it) to test your water.

You might be able to call you town's Department of Public Works (or something similar) to ask. Otherwise, there is a small relatively inexpensive kit that you can purchase from your local hardware store (or Home Depot if you have it) to test your water.

thank you :)

Here is some information to consider about hard water and its effects on hair:

Hard Water
Hard water, on the other hand, has large amounts of calcium and magnesium. These minerals can dry out your skin and hair and leave it with a rough texture. Your shower drain will also likely develop calcium buildup.

Effects of Hard Water
Hard water dries out your hair and leaves it feeling dull, lifeless and heavy. Any hair treatments you have like a perm or dye will fade and relax much faster than they should when hair is washed in hard water. You may also notice a dry, flaky scalp, hair breakage and hair thinning due to blockage at the follicles.

Remedies
Getting rid of soft water or hard water requires different tactics, but the premise is the same: either you alter your water or perform extra treatments to your hair to counteract the state of your water. If your water is too hard, purchase a water softener. If your water is too soft, add chemical supplements to the water you use to attain the right balance. Otherwise, you can use an extra clarifying shampoo and nourishing and moisturizing conditioner to restore health to your scalp and life to your hair.

Read more: Soft Water Vs. Hard Water For Hair | LIVESTRONG.COM

I would suggest finding out first before trying the remedy, but at least you know all you may need to do is change up your products and regimen.

Great thread I have been having some breakage issues myself but I try and keep it braided while I'm washing as well its helps out a lot. Hth

Hard water as I've come to learn really is a legit problem! Before I was never really aware but this could be what's making your hair so hard to detangle. Some places have harder water than others.

But to me it sounds like manipulation is your main issue, most of the natural women I've come in to cantact with (coarser heads of hair) prefer hair styles that last them atleast a week. I'm in the process of transitioning and now I know fo' sho' !!!!:lachen: too much handling the hair dry= breakage

Last edited:
OP if you live Herts it is likely that you live in a hard water area, most of the South of England is hard water. The best and softest water is in the north. One of the first things I did was get a shower filter, you can pick them up for about £50.

OP if you live Herts it is likely that you live in a hard water area, most of the South of England is hard water. The best and softest water is in the north. One of the first things I did was get a shower filter, you can pick them up for about £50.

thank you. :D

Also..
I invested in a tangle teezer, great for painlessly de-tangling hair,
but i swear i'm losing the same amount of hair as i do with a normal comb
what the hell is wrong with my hair?! :crying3: :crying3: :crying3:

Back