Dark colored hair vs. Light colored hair

C

Cami

I was curious to know if you all thought that the appearance of dark colored hair looks more healthy than hair that has light color in it. The reason I ask is because I've noticed this with myself that when my hair is dark, it looks more healthy and full because the breakage is more camouflaged as opposed to havin a head full of light hair. I know that there are women out there who has light colored healthy looking hair, but I can say for myself that mine looks better with a dark tone.

G

Nope I've had full head of blonde, brown with blonde highlights, and black hair and I like them all equaly. The difference depends on ones complexion, and how well they take care of there hair as lighty colors tend to show up split ends and damaged easier than darker pigmented hair. I think if well maintaned blonde hair can look good on most people.

Karonica

To be honest, I think that lighter shades of hair may stand out more on African-American women, which draws more attention to the health of it, thus making damage, etc. to become more noticeable. I am sporting a light brown, orangey shade, and I can see split ends, you name it. I am particularly aware of shedding, compared to the days I wore my natural hair color, and other darker shades.

G

I absolutely think that darker hair looks healthier. Ever since dying my hair black, I think it shines more and looks very "rich"(for lack of a better word). I think lighter hair has the tendency to look dull and dry. I mean I guess it can potentially look healthy, but it takes so much more effort to make lighter hair look good.

C

Cami

I agree with you. I just think of people like Aaliyah and Amerie and how beautiful their dark hair looks. Beyonce's look good also, but with her's being a weave it wouldn't look damaged as opposed to someone trying to bleach their own hair as light as her's. I currently have streaks in my hair now. I bought a dark brown rinse today and will put it in my hair after my touchup later on this month. I wish that my hair could look healthy with a light color at the same time.

G

okie,,,,,, I'm posting my OLD pic, dont laugh.. lol

Me with my bleached head...... now that I think of it I like my long black hair better .. oh well

ThursdayGirl

Its not just that... I think its easier to see a shine on darker hair. My natural hair is a med-dark brown...it never really gets shiny (well until I started using olive oil)...When its dark (i.e. a rinse)... it shines more

Islandgirl

Cami and Caramela I totally agree with you on the dark hair looking healthier vs. light hair. Have you ever noticed that more hair advertisements feature brunettes and red heads as compared to blondes? I think it has something to do with the health, shine etc. of dark hair.

HOTCHOCOLATE

My natural strawberry-blonde hi-lites comes out in the summer and I love how healthy and shiney it looks, but in the winter season my hair changes to a very dull dark brown. I guess for me it depends on the season

Boadicea

To me, the shine on lighter hair doesn't seem as intense as it does on darker colored hair. The lighter parts of my hair seem to have more sheen than shine and the darker parts are just the opposite.

Also, I think darker hair seems more full and healthy.

mirrormirror

Darker hair always does appear healthy. Cause I know when I had very light orangey hair, it looked really damaged, and thats because it was. So I would put in a very dark rinse and my hair appeared so healthy and glossy.

hada

I think darker hair looks more healthier because damage is hidden. Sheen shows up more too in my opinion. Also I think really dark hair is becoming on black women. The contrast is there and very nice when it is a blue raven black.
Sometimes when we go lighter the face color and hair color make it bland. You see one shade of "brown" coming towards you.

hada

Honey01

I think dark, particularly jet black hair appears to be more healthy. It seems so shiny (ex. I always thought Nia Long's hair looked really healthy.I have a love-hate relationship w/ my own hair color which is naturally medium brown w/ sandy highlights (winter) to really sandy (during the summer. When it's dry it looks, ugh. A long time ago a hairdresser called it "dusty". I didn't like that.

Tracy

Of course I am biased and disagree....
but just a little...

I think either can be healthy or unhealthy looking depending on whether or not it is, in fact, healthy or unhealthy.

My hair looks FAR healthier in my pics from early this year where it's light, whereas my dark hair looked not as much so - but that was because it really wasn't.

I do agree that overall dark hair reflects more light and therefore can appear shinier than light hair.

butterscotch

I always thought that black hair looked shinier and therefore, healthier. That's why I wish I had some (my hair is medium brown). The downside to black hair is it gets dull fast.

The only positive note to having hair my color is that it turns colors in the sun - from light brown to red. Other than that, I would want black hair in an instant. I'm just too chicken to dye it

metalkitty

Hey, everyone, newbie here. I had to put in my 2 cents... I personally prefer dark hair on myself, I just don't like blonde, I'll stick with my funky purple tint! Guess its all about your complexion and personality though. I think alot of WOC can pull off blonde and look cool though.... but there's nothing more unattractive then a pastey chick trying to pull off white-bleached hair and a greasy tan (la Britney Spears), yuck!

Kiadodie

I really think dark hair looks healthier but if you have light hair and really keep it moisturized, the color can look lovely

Paris Belle

This may be true.

My hair is brown, in the pics, it looks darker, like med-brown. My hair is shiny, but it also shows any dryness or split ends right away too. And I think for most people (but not all), the ends are lighter than the roots (from the sun) and that could do it as well.

Jenai

I think darker hair shows shine a looks richer. However, lighter hair (especially with highlights) can look just as good when healthy and conditioned -- think Tracy's hair. Glossy!

butterscotch

I have heard about (and witnessed) some horror stories with colors and rinses, so I'm afraid to try

Maybe once my hair grows several inches, I be a bit more daring.

Healthb4Length

Lighter color hair or hilites makes my complexion pop, but color whether light or dark takes a lot of maintenance. I feel darker does a better job of hiding damage but color is fun and comes with its own sets of issues.