Crochet Braids/Hair Growth

Candy27

Hello Hair Legends,

First of all, I want you to know you guys are awesome and you provide great information.

I have some questions.

I have been taking care of my hair for a while now and it's grown a lot. Now, I am getting ready to put some crochet braids in my hair for about a month. Will this cause my hair not to grow?

Are there ways I can take care of my hair and continue to allow it to grow with crochet braids?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Candy

naturalmanenyc

Sure you can take care of your hair while in crochet braids. Crochet braids are a protective style that will allow your hair to grow without manipulation. You can moisturized your own hair while in crochet braids.

I have left my crochet braids in for up to 9 weeks at a time.

If you are doing your own crochet braids, you can check out a video of my install.
http://youtu.be/4LOxBU2fIkM

Harina

Someone's going to come in here and say that hair grows regardless. And it does. What crochet braids will do is help you to keep all that beautiful hair growing naturally out of your scalp on your head. Actually I'm under the impression that any type of cornrows (as long as they are not too tight) in general is very good for growth retention. I used to wear these all the time when I was young and my hair was so healthy. Didn't do a dang thing to my real hair. Other ladies will probably chime in how to care for them. The only thing I would suggest is leave in conditioner spray/braid spray on your real hair.

Lute

I would like to cosign, I also did a self instillation as well. Used Free Tress Water wave. As long as you take care of the hair underneath. You will be able to retain length.

Naturalmane I have a question for you though. Did your hair ever get frizzy/fuzzy and tangles was that normal for you?

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Got ur PM.

No, I had no frizz issues. I used gel on the hair strands.

If you get frizz, you can revive the hair by cutting off the frizz.

I would like to cosign, I also did a self instillation as well. Used Free Tress Water wave. As long as you take care of the hair underneath. You will be able to retain length.

Naturalmane I have a question for you though. Did your hair ever get frizzy/fuzzy and tangles was that normal for you?

pringe

I love crochet braids! I just put mine in last weekend and I'm fine. I just leave my edges out so I can moisturize them. I spray my hair with StaySoFro and I keep it moving