Crawly, Itchy Scalp while using Ayurvedic hair care method

FeelinIt

Is anyone experiencing itching and crawly feelings on their scalp right after using the indian hair powders and oils?

For the past week, my scalp has felt like I have things crawling in it or it's really really itchy.

I started off using a combo of Amla, Coconut, Brahmi, and some other indian oils during the first week.

Then I got my powders and used them for the first time on Sunday. I've been oiling my scalp daily since then.

It's just so weird, my scalp has been going off since starting this. Can anyone give any insight as to why?

MissMasala5

You should wash your hair, wait a couple days and start over again, but using only one item at a time. You are either having a reaction to something, or, it could be that your follicles are over-stimulated.

FeelinIt

You should wash your hair, wait a couple days and start over again, but using only one item at a time. You are either having a reaction to something, or, it could be that your follicles are over-stimulated.

You think. Well I just CD washed last night. I'll do another one on tomorrow. I really want to oil my scalp now though. It's become a habit!

luckiestdestiny

Hey all ayurvedic addicts please get in here. Bump. I want to know myself. I'm using some oils and I do feel a lot of stimulation and a little itching. I looked at my scalp and it isn't red, there are zero bumps, so I'm sure it's not a reaction. Is it just overstimulation? And if it is, isn't that a good thing? BUMP:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

luckiestdestiny

I don't necessarily feel the crawling, though. And I might add that I massaged my scalp before it feels over stimulated. Then it just feels like a little stimulation for a few hours afterwareds. What do you think, is that a good thing?

MissMasala5

Yes, it's a good thing from a growth standpoint. When I started, I went past itching and straight to scalp soreness. Just moving a hair on my head hurt! It will calm down soon. You may want to avoid things like caffeine or cayenne pepper for a week or two. They can aggravate the situation.

PassionFruit

I dont have any soreness or itchy scalp... not sure if thats good or bad

the only thing I notice that with certain powders ( Shikakai & tulsi) I need to followup with extra moisture

FeelinIt

My silly self used to much of the powders. I used 1 TABLESPOON of 4 different powders and mixed them into a paste. I thought I was using too little.

Right now my scalp is itching. Not bad but more than normal. I hope that means the little hairs are pushing through my scalp! LOL!

PassionFruit

So does your powder mix come out watery or paste like? I thought it was supposed to be a paste.

watery.... but thats only when I am in braids...

I had been rinsing my tea rinses out while in braids... Im considering leaving it in...maybe mixing it with a lil glycerin or aloe and sealing with coconut

when my hair is out, I use more powder and make a paste and let it sit for at least an hour or so.. then follow with co-wash & DC mixed with EVOO ( to help get granules out)

MissMasala5

So does your powder mix come out watery or paste like? I thought it was supposed to be a paste.

It can be whatever your preferences are. I prefer a paste. But like Passion, if I wore my hair in twists or braids, a tea rinse would be a better option.

There really are no hard fast rules in this method of hair care, with a couple exceptions, those being preoiling the hair before using bars or pastes. I do strongly suggest that new users try each product independently because these products are plants and fruits, and can cause allergic reactions in some users. Not only that, but you can see how each product acts on your hair. What is drying on one head can actually be conditioning on another head. There is no one-size-fits-all concept in Ayurvedic hair care.

FeelinIt

It can be whatever your preferences are. I prefer a paste. But like Passion, if I wore my hair in twists or braids, a tea rinse would be a better option.

There really are no hard fast rules in this method of hair care, with a couple exceptions, those being preoiling the hair before using bars or pastes. I do strongly suggest that new users try each product independently because these products are plants and fruits, and can cause allergic reactions in some users. Not only that, but you can see how each product acts on your hair. What is drying on one head can actually be conditioning on another head. There is no one-size-fits-all concept in Ayurvedic hair care.

Thanks for the reply. I thought we had to follow one method. And I think you are right with regards to the products being used independently. In a rush of excitment I put all of my powders together. My hair came out harder than usual BUt I attribute that to using to many powders all at once.

I'm still itchy BUT my dandruff is gone! That is a good sign.

Josie

Is anyone experiencing itching and crawly feelings on their scalp right after using the indian hair powders and oils?

For the past week, my scalp has felt like I have things crawling in it or it's really really itchy.

I started off using a combo of Amla, Coconut, Brahmi, and some other indian oils during the first week.

Then I got my powders and used them for the first time on Sunday. I've been oiling my scalp daily since then.

It's just so weird, my scalp has been going off since starting this. Can anyone give any insight as to why?

Hi Ladies,
This subject came up awhile back, and I remember that the Mineral Oil
in the amla/shikakai oils was the culprit. You'll have to clarify more often
when using these oils or find a mineral-oil free version. Here's the link:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=185063&highlight=josie&page=4

Josie

Aggie

I don't use too many of the powders anymore either so I don't get the itchy feelings.

MissMasala5

Hi Ladies,

Josie

Thanks for the link, Josie. I personally don't think it's the mineral oil, especially since it is widely used by dermatologists as a carrier to treat certain disorders like dandruff and psoriasis. Anything that stimulates the scalp skin is bound to cause a tingling. A more intense tingle is an itch. A more intense itch is pain. If it were simply mineral oil, then almost everyone in the world would be itching all over their heads and bodies since the most popular-selling skin and hair products globally contain mineral oil, more often than not.

FeelinIt

Hi Ladies,

Josie

Oh so there was already a thread about this. Sorry for the extra post.
The amla oil that I have does have mineral oil. My wash day is today so I'll see what happens with a more thorough wash and using less of the powders.

Thanks for the reply.

FeelinIt

Thanks for the link, Josie. I personally don't think it's the mineral oil, especially since it is widely used by dermatologists as a carrier to treat certain disorders like dandruff and psoriasis. Anything that stimulates the scalp skin is bound to cause a tingling. A more intense tingle is an itch. A more intense itch is pain. If it were simply mineral oil, then almost everyone in the world would be itching all over their heads and bodies since the most popular-selling skin and hair products globally contain mineral oil, more often than not.

This is def something to think about. My scalp isn't sore but a good scritching feels soo good now than it ever has. I have to remind myself to stop before I seriously scratch my scalp sore.

I'll use less of the oils also.

FeelinIt

To the OP,

I had that problem. I ended up selling all of my oils and powders. I wasn't willing to figure out what the problem was.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=209107

OMG Really! Ohh I don't want to sell my products. I bought a lot of stuff!. Wow someone had to go to ER.

I mean one day I was sitting up thinking there were bugs in my hair. I'll keep trying the oils and powders but I'll do a patch test and do a process of elimination by using each item independently. I'll be doing a clarifying wash today!

Thanks for the link.

I've been trying to do searches on this site and it is not working so thanks for the links!

Ms.Joi

OMG Really! Ohh I don't want to sell my products. I bought a lot of stuff!. Wow someone had to go to ER.

I mean one day I was sitting up thinking there were bugs in my hair. I'll keep trying the oils and powders but I'll do a patch test and do a process of elimination by using each item independently. I'll be doing a clarifying wash today!

Thanks for the link.

I've been trying to do searches on this site and it is not working so thanks for the links!

Lord knows I didn't want to sell mine either. Someone told me that I needed to buy the organic powders and that would stop the itching. My scalp is sensitive so I decided to just go without.

I tried clarifying, but nothing seemed to help me. Once I stopped using the powders I was still itching, so I couldn't say what the exact problem was. Hopefully clarifying will do the trick for you.

MissMasala5

If you have ever had relaxed hair, ever notice how new growth and itching seem to go hand-in-hand? Add to this products that increase stimulation of the follicles. Itch-fest! Ayurvedic hair products all seem to have one benefit in common: promotion of hair growth. Isn't this why we use them in the first place? Once you are at terms with the fact that your scalp is being stimulated because the products are actually working, just go ahead and let them work. This itchy, sensitive scalp period will subside once you get settled in to your regimen and your scalp is acclimated. This has been the experience for me with my soreness period. Clarifying to relieve the itching is futile, you'll basically be removing the active elements of the products. So just scritch and massage, it will eventually subside.

Aggie

If you have ever had relaxed hair, ever notice how new growth and itching seem to go hand-in-hand? Add to this products that increase stimulation of the follicles. Itch-fest! Ayurvedic hair products all seem to have one benefit in common: promotion of hair growth. Isn't this why we use them in the first place? Once you are at terms with the fact that your scalp is being stimulated because the products are actually working, just go ahead and let them work. This itchy, sensitive scalp period will subside once you get settled in to your regimen and your scalp is acclimated. This has been the experience for me with my soreness period. Clarifying to relieve the itching is futile, you'll basically be removing the active elements of the products. So just scritch and massage, it will eventually subside.

ITA with MedMunky. I just started experiencing this itching that everyone is talking about. I started spraying my scalp and braids with my bhringraj, brahmi, and amla tea rinse mixed a combination of ayurveda oils and I finally started getting this itching sensation and I gatta tell ya, my hair is now growing and I had my braids in almost 4 weeks now. I had to get my hairline re-done a few days early as a result. I actually like the growth spurt I'm getting right now and I'm using my MN to control the itching. I haven't yet experienced the soreness though.

natieya

ITA with MedMunky. I just started experiencing this itching that everyone is talking about. I started spraying my scalp and braids with my bhringraj, brahmi, and amla tea rinse mixed a combination of ayurveda oils and I finally started getting this itching sensation and I gatta tell ya, my hair is now growing and I had my braids in almost 4 weeks now. I had to get my hairline re-done a few days early as a result. I actually like the growth spurt I'm getting right now and I'm using my MN to control the itching. I haven't yet experienced the soreness though.

I'm having the itchies and soreness too. Nothing unbearable. Just enough to know it's working. I can also tell that my hair that is 4 weeks post relaxer looks to be 8 weeks post. That's a good thing (and a bad thing)...how am I ever going to wait another 4 weeks to relax? :spinning:

jamaraa

Using something new sometimes causes a side effect like shedding or itching, but those SHOULD subside w/ some time. Your body had to get used to something new.

Frankly, I think some people mix way too much stuff together hoping for fast results, but it doesn't work like that.

Platinum

I noticed some scalp itch ever since I did an Ayurvedic co wash the other day. It's not like an "allergic reaction itch", it's a mild itch. The only think I can think of is that it's probably growing. I can't wait to do the co-wash again. I was thinking about this earlier today :look:. Thanks for bumping the thread.:look:

frizzy

I have 4 or 5 powders mixed up together that I add to a conditioner (haven't used in a while) and I haven't had itchies from the mixture.

I said that to say, I don't think it is the mix, I think you may need to rinse the scalp more thoroughly. OR massage a weak ACV rinse to clarify the scalp after the powders.

jamaraa

I said that about the mix because people should ideally start as simple as possible. If something is causing a problem, you get a better idea of what. Not everything in the same proportions works for everybody. We have to keep in mind allergies and things like that, so it's better to start out w/ 1 herb or oil and workup to whatever is ultimately desired. That said, people should do whatever they feel comfortable w/ whenever.

Irresistible

I used grapeseed oil (on my hair and scalp) and itched and I used Evening Primrose Oil (internally) and itched

never touched them again

ya'll be careful thinking the itching is a good sign when it also might be an allergic reaction-always be mindful and watch out for that too:yep: