Could this be better than Nioxin Follicle Booster?

T

Tee

I recently bought a new scalp treatment based on the recommendation of a friend. She had a badly damaged hairline and a bald spot in the area above one of her ears due to wearing braids too tight. She tried a couple of things (ORS Temple Balm, and something else that I can't remember the name of) before finally going to see a dermatologist. Her dermatologist gave her a scalp treatment called Nutri-Shock Advanced Leave-In Hair and Scalp Treatment. She's been using it for 3 weeks, and her hair line has noticeably improved. The bald spot has improved only a little bit. Hair is starting to come in, but you can still tell it's a bald spot.

Anyway, I saw the Nutri-Shock at Sally's the other day, and decided to give it a try since I'm out of Nioxin Follicle Booster. It's way too early to tell how it compares to Nioxin, but I do like it so far. Compared to Nioxin, it is a LOT more stimulating! The area I applied it to was rosy and still tingling an hour after applying it. It's got some interesting ingredients that are supposed to help increase blood circulation in the scalp so that the scalp "nutrients" penetrate better. One thing I don't like about it is that it has SD Alcohol. The pamphlet that comes with the product says that the alcohol is used as a "delivering agent" for the other ingredients. So far, I haven't found it drying, but it's too early to tell. The way the bottle's applicator is designed helps to minimize contact with the hair, though.

This may be worth a try for those of you who had no luck with Nioxin Follicle Booster or other scalp remedies. It costs $12.99 for 4oz. compared to about $20 for 1oz. of the Nioxin. I'm testing it on my right temple, which isn't too bad, but could be fuller, and the nape of my neck. I'll keep you posted on my progress to see if it really is better or at least as good as Nioxin Follicle Booster.

LABETT

TEE
I have also seen NUTRI-SHOCK at sally's and almost purchased
it but I chicken out and repurchased the nioxin follice booster because I has so much success with it.
keep me posted on your results and I will try it.

Tee thanks for posting this. I'll watch how your progress goes. I have the Nioxin which I'm not too impressed yet but I'll continue with it.

kasey

Re: Could this be better than Nioxin Follicle Boos

Hi Tee, Could you post the ingredients? Thanks, --kc

Wanda

I went into Sally's today and almost lost my mind searching for this product. It is called Nutri-ox system. I finally found it, and thank you, I will see if it works.

Wanda

Tee, I just looked at the ingredients on my bottle and it does not list Alcohol. Could I have gotten a different brand? Is the box white with blue lettering?

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
Hi Tee, Could you post the ingredients? Thanks, --kc

[/ QUOTE ]

Water, Alcohol Denat., Coix Lacrama Jobi (Job's Tears) Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Maleic Acid, Menthol, Decytyltetradecylamine Oxide (Pro-Oxiden HG ®), Butylene Glycol, Lauramine Oxide, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Niacinamide, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Benzyl Nicotinate, Biotin, Fragrance.

Here's what the included pamphlet has to say about the ingredients.

Q: What important ingredients does Nutri-Ox Nutri-SHOCK contain?

A: Patented technology with Pro-Oxiden HG ®, a hair-rejuvenating agent that stimulates healthy hair growth. Biotin (Vitamin H) that is known to be essential for healthy hair growth. Vitamin A to aid in normalizing skin cells and to enhance the overall health of the scalp. Coix Extract, a medicinal herb that functions as a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. 5-alpha reductase is an enzyme responsible for hair loss. Glycyrrhetinic Acid is a gentle, soothing compound derived from licorice roots that also functions as a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Benzyl Nicotinate is a vasodilator* that improves blood circulation to the scalp, allowing a greater flow of nutrients to the scalp and hair roots.

*vasodilator -- an ingredient that expands or dilates blood vessels

Q: Why does Nutri-Ox Nutri-SHOCK contain alcohol?

A: SD Alcohol is a very important ingredient in Nutri-Ox Nutri-SHOCK. It is not damaging to the scalp and has many positive functions for healthy hair and scalp. Most importantly, it acts as a carrier for Pro-Oxiden HG ® to maximize healthy hair performance. The alcohol also acts as a preparatory cleanser to deep cleanse the scalp and dissolve dirt and oil that can clog and suffocate the hair follicle, inhibiting the growth of healthy hair.

MoezThunder

UHHWEE! Another new product
.....oh I'm in trouble now
I just left the beauty supply store! Yall better stop giving me ideas.....
shoot here I go again!

Wanda

Thank you Tee, I got the wrong one. Well, back to the store to purchase more stuff.......

T

Tee

Update: I don't think I like this stuff. I'm seeing some activity, but I saw better results with Nioxin within the same time frame (2-3 weeks). I find the Nutri-Shock makes my scalp too uncomfortable. After using it for 3 days, the areas I applied it to were very sore. I had to cut back from the suggested 2 times a day to just once a day. If I put it on within an hour of washing my hair (when the scalp pores are freshly opened), I find it very very irritating. To the point that I have to jump in the shower to wash it out. So, the bottomline is that I think Nioxin Follicle Booster performs better without the overly harsh stimulation of the Nutri-Shock. Plus, Nioxin doesn't have alcohol in it, unlike Nutri-Shock. It's still working well for my friend who had thinning and balding issues. But, I don't recommend this product unless you think your hair follicles really really need the extra stimulation for whatever reason.

LABETT

THANKS! For the review TEE.
I think I will stick with the nioxin follice booster.