Could it be all in my mind - loosening cornrows in a week?

naturalmanenyc

I have had my crochet braids (curly twists) in for only 10 days but it feels like my cornrows are already loosening.

I do not think for a second that my hair is growing at some abnormal rate; however, what I do think is that rollersetting my hair the night before my salon appointment was the mistake. I think that shrinkage is resulting in my cornrows loosening faster than my first crochet braids install.

I moisturize my cornrows daily and it seems that having my braider start with straight hair was a mistake. Granted, there was no detanling necessary and the cornrowing part of the process was a breeze, but it seems to have backfired.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VugYhMRnLvU

Last edited:

longhairlover

when I use to rock cornrows, I would blowdry my hair no flat ironing so the braider would have some texture and my braids would hold.

by the way I love the way your crochet braids come out, where hair do you use for the curly twist hair?

naturalmanenyc

I did not buy the hair. The braider supplied it.

It's called "Dred Spring" by Royal Supreme.

when I use to rock cornrows, I would blowdry my hair no flat ironing so the braider would have some texture and my braids would hold.

by the way I love the way your crochet braids come out, where hair do you use for the curly twist hair?

naturalmanenyc

The first time that I had the curly twists installed, I went to the shop with my curly hair. It was a beast to detangle and I ended up combing out my own hair to avoid losing strands. The cornrows were not tighter, but just done on curly, shrunken hair.

This time I went with straight hair and I have noticed a difference already. My cornrows seem much looser in this last week than they were the first time. I can only attribute it to the straight hair reverting.:perplexed

I am still hoping to keep these twists in until April 17 though.

Good question. I always thought it was the 'loosenization' of the twists/braids lol