Cotton bandana better for working out?

sharifeh

My hairstylist told me that cotton absorbs sweat and that working out with a cotton bandana is best to preserve a flatiron job or a blowout. What do ya’ll think. I usually use non-cotton like the save your do wrap. What does LHCF say? What type of headband/bandana is best for keeping hair flat…?

Thank you!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I use a silk bandana. But I don't even attempt to preserve my hair style. I sweat too much.

I just don't like to put cotton on my hair. Ever.

summertimewine

*sips tea*
If you are trying to preserve straight hair you shouldn't be working out so hard that you sweat! Also I would never put cotton on your hair, ever. It dries hair out something fierce! And you might not see the damage until you wash again. Anyway water moisturizes the hair so I would say sweat it out!!

Ogoma

I use cotton headbands. I don't know about preserving styles as my hair not straightened, but it keeps the sweat off my face.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
i'm not a fan of cotton anything touching my hair... i would go with a silk or a satin scarf

Subscribe

The sweat/ sebum is your hairs natural oil. Why would you want it to be soaked up by a cotton bandana? Oh, that's right. Your stylist gave you this advice.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Silk/Satin scarves & bonnets never worked for me...they just slip off while I sleep. Satin pillowcases make me sweat too much. I sleep on my regular cotton pillowcase in a high bun if my hair is in a curly style or if my hair is straightish..a 90% cotton body scarf twisted into a turban. Different strokes for different folks I guess. None of the above practices dry my hair out, plus when I go to bed, I'm trying to look cute...not like my grandma if you know what I mean. lol

Excuse the sunglasses, cause I wear the turban out and about but you get the idea.

Edited: Just realized you meant for working out, not sleeping. lol

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
The sweat/ sebum is your hairs natural oil. Why would you want it to be soaked up by a cotton bandana? Oh, that's right. Your stylist gave you this advice.

Or it's sweat running down your face from exercising. If it isn't absorbed it's going to drip down your face and drip down to the floor and you'd be wiping your face with a towel all the time.
We have too many options for people to continue being unhealthy and not exercising just to preserve a hairstyle. OP they make exercise bands that absorb water to preserve your hairstyle. Nicole Ari Parker makes one of these called the Save your do. I got a knockoff from TJ Maxx and it works really well. I sweat a lot and it keeps the sweat from dripping into my eyes and I don't have to wipe my face so much.

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen

Dri Sweat Edge Women's Headband $3.99 or $3.59 w/ Sally Card

Fashionable tapered look
Smooth comfortable fit
Absorbs sweat

The Dri Sweat Edge band absorbs sweat around the hair and neck line to absorb sweat to combat hair damage while protecting the hair style during rigorous activities. Perfect for the gym or outdoor activity. Features a fashionable tapered look and contoured fit that ensures headband won't slip or easily shift during exercise.

Dri Sweat Women's Active Wear Protector Cap $3.99 or $3.59 w/ Sally Card

Keeps head cool during exercise
Headband feature absorbs sweat
Contoured fit with pony tail outlet

Dri Sweat Fit Women's Style Protector Cap is the solution to preserving your style! Absorbs sweat around the hair and neck line while protecting the hair style during rigorous activities. Mesh material allows the hair to breathe. Features a contoured fit with pony tail outlet.

OP, you should go to Sally Beauty or Wally World tomorrow and pick up both of these. They work and they will not break the bank. Please don't use a cotton bandanna!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Sweat can dry out your hair. Sebum is good for hair, but sweat not so much. A cotton bandanna to soak up the excess sweat for an hour is not gonna kill your hair. It is not like you will be sleeping in it.

It is up to you what you'd like to use. That one that MileHighDiva posted looks good. I just make sure to spray some water on my hair afterward or co-wash at least one other time during the week to restore any moisture needed.

shtow

@shtow uses the Save Your Do wrap. I believe she likes it. I will probably break down and spend that $30 for it :ohwell:

For me, its worth it. I tried the knock offs and they didnt work as well. Of course everyone is different so with trial and error they will find what works for them :yep: