Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery and Christianity

mahogany

cocoberry10 said:
After reading everyone's responses, again, I still believe it's something to go to God for.

Lavendar, I agree with everything you said.

lwill38 and mahogany, I understand both of your statements. I believe that anything can become an obsession, like plastic surgery, hair, appearance, shopping, money and even food! We have to eat to live, and without food we would die. However, some people spend their lives addicted to food (either overeating or starving themselves), and it becomes an unhealthy obsession. I don't believe getting cosmetic surgery alone means you are unhealthy or obsessed. However, like all things, even good things can be used for evil (i.e. Satan wants us to hate ourselves, and always look down at ourselves)!

Again, that's why I say I would go to God before making a decision like this. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be improved and better. In fact, we should strive to be better at everything as witnesses of God's glory.

However, God loves us and wants us to see ourselves the way He sees us...as beautiful creatures of His creation! I don't think this means we can never get surgery, I just think we need to be clear as to the reasons why.

As I said earlier, I've been contemplating breast reduction or breast lift, since I am very small, but have bosoms like watermelons!

So, if you want plastic surgery, whether it be for reconstructive reasons, cosmetic reasons, to feel better, etc., there's nothing to be ashamed of. However, it's important that But just trust in Him!!!

I'm against vanity type surgeries, but sweetie if you feel you should get a breast reduction because of health reasons then go for it. My opinion should mean nothing, I have no idea what it would be like to carry such a load so I apologize if I made you feel vain about inquiring about surgery. My main point was that as Christian women we should be strong and powerful, not insecure especially if the insecurity is coming from someone else. I watched some Maury show where this man lost his wife because of a bad tummy tuck and he felt awful. He kept saying maybe if he would have told her how much he loved her it would have build up here self-esteem then maybe she would have never made that decision. I wonder the same thing about others who consider plastic surgery.

cocoberry10

mahogany said:
I'm against vanity type surgeries, but sweetie if you feel you should get a breast reduction because of health reasons then go for it. My opinion should mean nothing, I have no idea what it would be like to carry such a load so I apologize if I made you feel vain about inquiring about surgery. My main point was that as Christian women we should be strong and powerful, not insecure especially if the insecurity is coming from someone else. I watched some Maury show where this man lost his wife because of a bad tummy tuck and he felt awful. He kept saying maybe if he would have told her how much he loved her it would have build up here self-esteem then maybe she would have never made that decision. I wonder the same thing about others who consider plastic surgery.

I agree. However, I realize that when someone doesn't love themself, no matter how much you tell them, it can't really penetrate in their mind.

Maybe she wouldn't have done it if he told her how beautiful she was. But most likely, she was empty inside, and that probably had nothing to do with him. It's unfortunate. I've read articles about fatalities with plastic surgery, and I once saw a show about it too. This woman (she was white) seemed like she had a great life. She talked about how much her parents loved her, said she was 5'7" and 115-120 pounds (so she was slender) before the surgery. She married a really wonderful man (for a white guy, he was attractive and actually so was she) and he was ready to love and take care of her. But she wasn't satisfied with her thighs (for her frame she had large "saddlebags"). Anyway, she got two surgeries--the first went really well, but the second left her scarred and disfigured. She has spent over $40,000 trying to correct the second surgeries damage. It cost her, her marriage, her life, and she was talking about rebuilding her life. She told girls to love themselves first, and know that they have many amazing qualities outside of how they looked.

beyondcute

My mama always said God dont make mo mistakes and he dont make no junk! My interpretation: dont mess with Gods perfection.

secretdiamond

Honeyhips said:
I understand what you are saying, but couldn't one say the same thing about women who relax, or color their hair. Should I not get my eyebrows or nails done? Should we not get our teeth whitened, or straightened. Should we not get lasik? The list could go on and on.

Other than that, I have to say I have never thought about this issue before. It is something to think about it.
I personally think Christians should dress to impress, not flashy but look good at all times, because we represent Christ. We shouldn't represent him while looking a hot mess. But I don't know if I could translate that into all plastic surgeries. I think some are needed. Like the lady who had her excess skin removed, reconstructive surgery, babies born with cleft lips and etc... I also think that God gives us these surgeons, doctors, medecine to help us. So I don't know. I personally don't want PS right now, but, as with everything, I'd pray about it before I decided on anything.

I have always said I'd get a breast lift and tuck if babies distorted my body to much. :grin:

Ditto. :yep: My boobs are not small and they already sag. AND I have seen what kids did to my mother's body. :nono: She's fine with it, but I know I won't be. Plus, I'll be doing it for me and my husband. Yes, I said my husband. He is the only one who will have access to my body and he should always like what he sees. lol. BUT firstly, I should like what I see. Whether people acknowledge this or not, this is mainly b/c I believe in a great sexual relationship as part of the MANY tools in a successful TRULY happy marriage. As a young person, I am already self-conscious about my body. I would hate for it to be 10 times worse when I get older and not being able to feel secure or confident around my FH. I will literally be hiding from him. (I know it) It will be a conlclusion we both will come to and work on AND pray on. Moreover, this will be after exhausting all other possible ways to solve the problem.

If I do get it done, I will have no shame or qualms about it (unless it looks bad) lol. Yes, GOD made my body perfect and I want in no way to disrespect HIM. But like HoneyHips mentioned.... I have relaxed hair, I occasionally wear makeup, get my nails done, etc. And one day, will have my teeth whitened. People liken getting tattoos and piercings to PS as well---- permanent change to the body, but what about millions of CHRISTIAN women who get their ears pierced? Yes, you can take out the earring, but the hole is definitely permanent. Moreover, tattoos today can be removed and tongue rings actually do heal. (I don't have any though).

Even with that said, I am SHOCKED that Joyce had a face lift, but like someone said, it's all about your relationship with God. PRAY ON IT.

cocoberry10

secretdiamond said:
Ditto. :yep: My boobs are not small and they already sag. AND I have seen what kids did to my mother's body. :nono: She's fine with it, but I know I won't be. Plus, I'll be doing it for me and my husband. Yes, I said my husband. He is the only one who will have access to my body and he should always like what he sees. lol. BUT firstly, I should like what I see. Whether people acknowledge this or not, this is mainly b/c I believe in a great sexual relationship as part of the MANY tools in a successful TRULY happy marriage. As a young person, I am already self-conscious about my body. I would hate for it to be 10 times worse when I get older and not being able to feel secure or confident around my FH. I will literally be hiding from him. (I know it) It will be a conlclusion we both will come to and work on AND pray on. Moreover, this will be after exhausting all other possible ways to solve the problem.

If I do get it done, I will have no shame or qualms about it (unless it looks bad) lol. Yes, GOD made my body perfect and I want in no way to disrespect HIM. But like HoneyHips mentioned.... I have relaxed hair, I occasionally wear makeup, get my nails done, etc. And one day, will have my teeth whitened. People liken getting tattoos and piercings to PS as well---- permanent change to the body, but what about millions of CHRISTIAN women who get their ears pierced? Yes, you can take out the earring, but the hole is definitely permanent. Moreover, tattoos today can be removed and tongue rings actually do heal. (I don't have any though).

Even with that said, I am SHOCKED that Joyce had a face lift, but like someone said, it's all about your relationship with God. PRAY ON IT.

Again, well said! Before you make any decision, you should go to God, and if you are comfortable with it, it's between you and Him!

cocoberry10

I found this post, and thought this was an interesting perspective on the topic. I found it at http://www.gotquestions.org/plastic-surgery.html

What does the Bible say about a Christian having plastic / cosmetic surgery?

Question: "What does the Bible say about a Christian having plastic / cosmetic surgery?"

Answer: I do not believe that plastic surgery in and of itself is wrong. However, there are several things that one needs to consider before deciding whether or not to have anything like this done. Altering one's body is unnatural, and there are always risks of potential side effects – both physically and mentally. No one should allow themselves to be put "under the knife" without thoroughly researching all alternatives, risks and side effects involved with the surgery. A person also needs to fully understand his or her motivation for desiring the surgery. For many who were either born with or later acquire physical deformities, it is natural to want to fit into society and feel "normal." There are also cases of slight abnormalities that would cause someone to feel very uncomfortable with themselves, such as a very large or misshapen nose. But many, if not most, plastic surgeries are done because of people's attempts at meeting their emotional voids in physical ways. They are trying to feel better about themselves by attracting attention and seeking approval from others.

According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the most commonly performed cosmetic procedures include breast augmentation/lifts, liposuction (the removal of body fat), facelifts, eyelid lifts, buttock and other body lifts, leg vein treatments, botox/fat injections, and nose and face reshaping. Approximately two million people subject themselves to these kinds of procedures each year, shelling out money and sacrificing time and comfort. When the attitude of a person undergoing surgery is that of vanity, he or she has become his or her own idol. The Bible warns us not to be vain or conceited (Philippians 2:3-4) and not to draw attention to ourselves by the way we look (1 Timothy 2:9). Another concern would be the cost. Most insurance companies do not cover costs associated with cosmetic surgery, so the expenses would all come out of the patient's pocket. This is a major consideration because most people have significant others and/or families that have needs to be taken care of; the expense of plastic surgery should never come before the needs of the family. The Bible also tells us that we need to use wisely the money that God has entrusted to us (Proverbs 11:24-25, Luke 16:10-12).

The most important thing to do before making the decision to undergo plastic surgery would be to consult God about the issue. The Bible tells us that God cares about every worry and concern that we have, so we should take our problems to Him (1 Peter 5:7). Through the wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, we have the ability to make decisions that will please and honor Him. "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised" (Proverbs 31:30).