Correct way to do a bun or protective hairstyles

simplyhair

What is the correct way to do a bun without messing up or damaging the ends? I'll take any other suggestions on protective hairstyles.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

For my buns one thing I stopped doing is using the hair accessories like the bows with the hard balls on the end with the metal attachment in the center. I also stopped wearing the ouchless bands. They are better than the ones with the metal clasp,but they still break the hair off in the center. For my ends, I stopped using bobby pins to secure them. I take my ends,spray water on them and add oil to my ends. Then I wrap my hair around a scrunchie and tuck my ends somewhere in the scrunchie. This can definitely cut down on the number of split end hairs you may experience.

asummertyme

yes i also stopped useimg scruncie peroid, now i just twist my hair around , into a bun and then i put in a few hair pins to secure.

inthepink

Good days hair pins are a great alternative to bobby pins. I also use a scrunchy and twist my hair around it for a fuller bun, then secure with good days hair pins.

Spagirl

I like to gather my hair as to put it in a ponytail but instead of applying a band or anything I twist it and coil it around in a flat circle (cinnamon bun). When I reach the end I coil it around the base and secure the bun with good hair day (GHD) pins.

I'm now starting to experiment with braiding my non-secured ponytail and coiling it into a bun and securing it with the GHD pins.

In stead of re-inventing the wheel see the How To's thread for links to a lot of other protective styles be it French twist, figure 8 buns, coil buns, etc. HTH!

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
I like to gather my hair as to put it in a ponytail but instead of applying a band or anything I twist it and coil it around in a flat circle (cinnamon bun). When I reach the end I coil it around the base and secure the bun with good hair day (GHD) pins.
HTH!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I do it using the GHD pins or sometimes hair sticks (dipping them in oil before I insert them). I stay away from the scrungies. For some reason I feel like they will cause some kind of friction and eventually start breaking my hair.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Good days hair pins are a great alternative to bobby pins. I also use a scrunchy and twist my hair around it for a fuller bun, then secure with good days hair pins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

Welcome Simplyhair!

asummertyme

what r good hair day pins? and what is the diffrence between them and open hair pis...where do u get em?????????
thnx

Isis

asummertyme -
Good Hair Day Pins can be found at Sally's Beauty Supply for only about $1.69. I used to use bobby pins until I learned about them from Hairlove. They are made of plastic and styled in such a way that it grips the hair firmly without pulling or breaking the hair at all. They are wonderful and come in clear and tortoise shell colors.

douglala

Any suggestions for doing a bun without a scrunchie if you hair is not long enough to coil around itself.
When my hair is help in a ponytail I only have about 3 more inches a hair in the ponytail. No where near enough to wrap around itself.

Isis

Douglala- you could always to a French Twist with your length. You would only some GHD hairpins to hold it in place. It always makes you look like you have more hair than you do.

Isis

Yes, as in French Roll. You just gather your hair towards the back as if making a ponytail but you "roll" your gathered hair to the left or right, then put the hair pins inside of the roll. It's like a long, vertical bun.

douglala

Okay thanks, i will try that. I ususally just pin it up with a hair clip but that is getting really tired.

inthepink

douglala - You could also use a bun donut to create your bun. Or you could use a fake bun. Check out dontspeakdefeat's hair journal. She has a lot of how to's on how to make buns for shorter hair.