Cornrows, braids, plaits

Lovelylocs

Can some one give me some tips on how to make really nice braids please?

I am practicing on my mannequin head that I bought to learn how to do rollersets.

I want to learn how to do cornrows and other types of braids. Currently, I am trying to learn from instructions on websites, but the instructions don't seem to be enough for me. I think I need more detail b/c my braids don't look very professional. :ohwell: I want them to look really professional. I'm not going to do them professionally, but I think it is a nice skill to have. :) TIA

Ms_Twana

I'm trying to learn myself. I want to be able to cornrow and flat twist. I got my directions off the internest as well. What makes them not look professional?? Keep in mind that they won't look perfect immediately from ANYONE'S directions. Practice makes perfect.

Lovelylocs

Ms_Twana said:
I'm trying to learn myself. I want to be able to cornrow and flat twist. I got my directions off the internest as well. What makes them not look professional?? Keep in mind that they won't look perfect immediately from ANYONE'S directions. Practice makes perfect.
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who is still learning. They dont look professional b/c they just look bad. :lol: The braids aren't straight even when the parts are. When I get around the round part of the head the just really start to go bad. I am learning how to braid on long hair which may be harder. I know it's going to take some practice, but how much? :ohwell: I've only tried like 3 times though. :lol:

Ms_Twana

There's a video that demonstrates??? Shut-up!!!

The only thing that's wrong with my french braids and flat twists is that they're loose. I don't know quite how to get closer to the scalp. And least not on my own head. I don't have any little girls to practice on.

Lovelylocs

Ms_Twana said:
There's a video that demonstrates??? Shut-up!!!

The only thing that's wrong with my french braids and flat twists is that they're loose. I don't know quite how to get closer to the scalp. And least not on my own head. I don't have any little girls to practice on.
I can't find the video either. :ohwell:
My flat twists are tight at first, but then they get loose if I put an elastic on them. If I clip them they stay tight though. I only make them in the front. I haven't tried to make them all the way down the head like I do with cornrows yet.