Good news for those who use sulfate-free cleansers!

*Muffin*

It may be ok for us to use -cones! :yay:. Ok...there are conditions. On most hair care boards one visits, it is popular knowledge that only sulfates can rid ones hair of -cones, and that is partially true. Sulfates are surfactants, and surfactants have the ability to dissolve cones. One non-sulfate surfectant that I know of is cocomidopropyl betaine and it is coconut oil derived. From doing research online I've learned that natural, less harmful surfactants can be derived also from corn syrup and palm kernal oil. But, as with anything, do what's best for your hair. Just sharing what I learned ;). I got the info from this blog:

http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/2009/04/do-sulfate-free-cleansers-automatically.html

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! I actually have grown to like my hair being cone and sulfate free. It feels different, airdries different, and it detangles so much better now. :)

However, I do keep 1 clarifying shampoo, that is sulfate free -- just in case. While I dont see the ingredient you mentioned here, I do know that this shampoo DOES clarify wonderfully without "stripping" your hair and leaving it feeling naked. Hard to explain. Anyway, maybe the other ingredients could be reasearched as additional "sulfate-free surfectants".

Jonathan Product Detox Dirt
$22/Bottle for 8.5oz.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produ...NEHUHQCV0KQRQ5UQ?id=P217517&categoryId=C12030

Ingredients:
Water, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Lauramine Oxide, Cocoyl Sarcosine, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Water, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Water, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Seedcake Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Palmaria Palmata (Dulse) Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Hedychium Coronarium (Hawaiian White Ginger) Root Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Communis (Pear) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-7, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Polyquaternium-59, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Butylene Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Trideceth-9, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance.

You can get it online at Sephora.com or JonathanProduct.com.

Last edited:
Yeah that's why I don't understand why people always tell others they have to use a sulfate shampoo to get rid of cones which is untrue. Here's a link that lists all of the surfactants that removes cones.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones

I was always told this, and I now know it to be misleading. I'm happy now that I've found out this information because I can start trying out some products I've been previously avoiding. Thanks for the link ;).

Thanks for posting! I actually have grown to like my hair being cone and sulfate free. It feels different, airdries different, and it detangles so much better now. :)

However, I do keep 1 clarifying shampoo, that is sulfate free -- just in case. While I dont see the ingredient you mentioned here, I do know that this shampoo DOES clarify wonderfully without "stripping" your hair and leaving it feeling naked. Hard to explain. Anyway, maybe the other ingredients could be reasearched as additional "sulfate-free surfectants".

Jonathan Product Detox Dirt
$22/Bottle for 8.5oz.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produ...NEHUHQCV0KQRQ5UQ?id=P217517&categoryId=C12030

Ingredients:
Water, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Lauramine Oxide, Cocoyl Sarcosine, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Water, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Water, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Seedcake Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Palmaria Palmata (Dulse) Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Hedychium Coronarium (Hawaiian White Ginger) Root Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Communis (Pear) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-7, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Polyquaternium-59, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Butylene Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Trideceth-9, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance.

You can get it online at Sephora.com or JonathanProduct.com.

I looked up sodium lauroyl sarcosinate on the cosmetics safety database, and it is classified as a safe surfectant (hazard rating of less than 5) :).

thanks for sharing *Muffin*! I plan on alternating each week with a cleasning conditioner and a sulfate-free shampoo and seeing how my hair responds.

Back