question: why does shampoo have cones in it?

blessedandlucky

i usually use abba pure moisture which is sulfate and cone free. i used a moisturizer with cones this week and am looking for a sulfate shampoo to get rid of the cones. i have clarified with nexxus aloe rid in the past, but found it too stripping so i figured i'd just use a sulfate poo. i'm reading labels and can't find a drugstore brand without dimethcone.

i'm really confused - why would a shampoo have cones? i can understand a conditioner, but not a shampoo.

can someone explain to me and also recommend a drugstore sulfate shampoo without cones? thanks for your help.

p.s. - i've done a board search and can't find an answer.

Zaz

I think maybe because cones help to detangle hair and that's why they're added to shampoos. I know I was looking at baby shampoos and the 'no more tangles' had cones while the regular didn't. Most people who aren't familiar with hair boards and curly girl method don't really care about silicones and coating, just manageability.
As far as a cone free drugstore shampoo I think I've read that suave and Vo5 ones have no cones. I use Kenra moisturising shampoo to clarify, it's not a drugstore brand but that's the only one I can vouch for. HTH

shunemite

I agree with zazou583. I think that the average consumer is very busy, and wants to comb through hair really fast, so the less tangles, the more they'll buy the same product. Supply and demand, is all.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I've always read that it was so that the shampoo doesn't dry the hair out. The sulfate/cone combination is usually in shampoos that claim to be moisturizing. I think they sort of cancel each other out (in a way).