Cones and hair type

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
The Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo has a silicone in it. I was just wondering why this is considered bad for the hair...the daily moisturizers I'm using has silicones in them too...I thought they moisturized my hair great. If I'm supposed to clarify-which I have done twice since I took the braids out-if the shampoo contains a silicone then I guess its not clarifying my hair. Maybe I need to look for a new clarifying shampoo-my hair does feel dry after using it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

After a prolonged use of silicone products my hair gets this bulidup and my hair seems dryer and my moisturizers dont help unless i clarify. Maybe the Suave only has a small amount added. Whereas most of the products that i used have Cones (aka dimethicone, silicone, etc) as one of the first ingredients

G

The silicone is close to the end of the ingredients that are listed. So they actually make your hair dry...I keep reading this; I even read that it is bad for your hair and it will make it break [which I don't understand because a moisturizer is supposed to limit breakage I thought]...I can't say that I'm noticing this or not right now.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
The silicone is close to the end of the ingredients that are listed. So they actually make your hair dry...I keep reading this; I even read that it is bad for your hair and it will make it break [which I don't understand because a moisturizer is supposed to limit breakage I thought]...I can't say that I'm noticing this or not right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on the persons hair. Some people on this board raves about how much their hair likes cones. It has never made my hair break because as soon as it gets that dry I wash anyway.

inthepink

If I use silicones too much, my hair does get dry. It took me a long time to figure this out b/c when I was relaxed I used Pantene all the time. Then I would feel like my hair was dry and didn't know why. That is until I read this article about how Pantene is so full of silicones. I try to minimize my use of silicones now.

aikaa71

I am a 4b and use cones. i use a clarifying shampoo(Elasta QP Bodifying) once a week followed by a moisturising shampoo(Keracare hydrating & Detangling)

moneychaser

bump.. I just found this glossier that give me that SALON FINISH but it contains nothing but cones and im scurred.

Nonie

Silicones do not really make your hair dry. What they do is smooth down cuticles (just like conditioners do) only they don't add moisture like conditioners can, and they are heavier (read: thicker ie more sealing) than conditioners. So when you use them on moisturized hair, they seal in the moisture, smooth down cuticles making your hair shine better, become less frizzy, and detangle easily. In that sense, cones are a great product.

So why do pple experience dryness and breakage? Because they apply them to dry hair and because of build-up. You know how after using a great product for a while, your hair stops responding to it? Most times this happens due to build-up of hair products, and usually clarifying your hair seems to bring the magic back to the product your were about to discard. Well, cones, because they are heavy, cause build-up much faster and to a greater degree than other products. So if you use them often, you need to clarify more often. And because they are very thick, applying them to dry hair just locks in dryness and prevents any moisture from reaching your hair.

When I use cones, I usually use them on the day I plan to wash my hair. And I always make sure my hair is wet before applying them. (Drenching your hair in a moisturizer too prior to applying a cone isn't a bad idea either.
) This way applying the cone will do more than make your hair look beautiful: it will also seal the moisture IN.

So the rule of thumb is, if you use a cone, make sure your hair is well moisturized first and be sure to clarify or wash off the cone before too long in order to be able to "condition" your hair, otherwise it will start to feel dry and starved of moisture. I also believe that it's best to use cones on hair that isn't already suffering from build-up.... So don't use them if you haven't clarified in a long while.

[ETA: By forming a coating on your hair, silicones protect your hair from normal wear and tear eg due to combing or just the environment. So that's another score for Gryffindor! ...I mean, cones.
)

Angelicus

now that i finally learned how to use cones, my hair likes them
. before, i was just using them all the time and that made my hair feel weird. I rotate products sometimes to help my hair out

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">My hair is 3a/b and have no problems with the cones. I use my Pantene every other day for conditioner washes, and use either my ACV rinse or VO5 Kiwi and Lime conditioner as clarifiers. And I agree, some people don't use cones on their hair due to the buildup that's involved. But if you use a clarifying shampoo, then your hair is removed of the cones. Neutrogena has an excellent shampoo that can remove hair buildup in one wash.

I use my conditioner mostly for my washes. But if my hair needs a "total makeover", I'll use my Pantene for a few days, ACV rinse and go. I want some slip when I comb, too. </font>

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
How do u know whether a product has cones in it or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will have among its ingredients one that ends with -cone eg dimethicone.

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
[ETA: By forming a coating on your hair, silicones protect your hair from normal wear and tear eg due to combing or just the environment. So that's another score for Gryffindor! ...I mean, cones.
)

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAH! Yeah for Gryffindor!

Donda

Yeah I love Cream of Nature overall, before I started to use it my hair was dry and would break, since using it I have had very nice results.

Still I clarify my hair, 5 weeks CON on 1 week Pantene (or any shampoo with Laurl Sulfate) by then it is almost time for my retouch.