Cones and hair type

Crysdon

When I first came to this board, I avoided cones like the plague. Reason being, a lot of posters have said it's bad for their hair, or makes it dull looking in the long run. I have discovered that shampoos and conditioners with cones are actually good for my hair type (3b/3c) and it leaves a silky feeling to my hair.

So my question is: Is there a certain hair type that you shouldn't apply cones to?

I can't speak for anyone else but I LOVE cones in my conditioners. I'm 3C type hair (I think!). I know a couple of girls with hair very similar to mine and they too love cones for that slip it gives. I actually look for conditioners and products that contain it to give that final satin smooth feeling afterwards e.g serums.

I had heard that some girls didn't like it but its never ever been a problem for me and I'll continue using products with it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suppose like alot of things, what suits one person may not suit another. Its all about learning what your particular hair type loves, whether it be cones or not.

SVT

From reading other hairboards, it seems the people who don't have any problems with cones live in humid places like Florida or Houston. The moisture in their environment seems to counteract the effects of cone buildup. Eventually these ladies do have some problems with cone buildup but not as dramatic or as quickly as others.

Anyone else notice this?

Hi SVT!!! Just have to say that I've never experienced build up at all with products containing silicones.

Maybe its because I use a clarifying shampoo approx once a month to 'start again' so maybe thats why.

Crysdon

I agree Brownrelaxed. I live in the Mid-West and I don't seem to have any problems with the cones, but just like you, I use a clarifying shampoo once a month.

SVT: Are you saying that humidity/moisture is compatible with cones?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Silicone oils don't bother my hair, either. But they can build up on the hair and start to feel icky if you don't shampoo them out. This is why I only use Creme of Nature shampoo a few times per month. IMO, the problems occur when women use hair dressings with cones and shampoos with cones (ie Creme of Nature) every time they shampoo. The hair never gets really clean. The stuff that leaves the hair feeling soft and slippery never gets washed off and eventually makes the hair feel gummy and dirty. Silicone products also won't work with the Curly Girl 'no-shampoo' routine. I don't think conditioner alone is enough to gid rid of the cones.

Spagirl

Yep, ITA! I think cones become a problem when you don't get it off via some clarifying method. It can build up and even lead to breakage. I believe you have to learn how to use products, especially ones that contain non-water soluble ingredients, be it "cone", waxes, mineral oil, petroleum, etc. They can be a blessing but when not used with respect for what they can potentially do they can become a curse. I don't think they shouldn't be used at all but they do need to be used wisely.

G

Okay, so it is bad to use silicones in a moisturizer? I noticed that the Dew moisturizer spray (I haven't used it yet) I purchased has ingredients that end in "cone" if it is bad I wonder why she [Cathy] would put in her moisturizer....

Nyambura

surfer girl
Natori, I don't know if all 'cones are bad. I use the Serious Shining Spray from Elucence which is supposed to contain water-soluble silicone that won't build up on the hair. I love the results so far. Maybe Howse's moisturizer spray also contains water-soluble silicones.

One product with hardcore 'cones (i.e., I get buildup) that I love and won't part with is Infusium 23 leave in. I have to be careful, though, and not use it all the time because my hair eventually rebels. I leave it alone for a little bit and then it's back to being best friends again, lol. HTH.

G

Thanks for replying...but can you tell me what kind of silicone the Elucence Shining Spray has? Also, as long as you use a clarifying shampoo does it matter if the silicone builds up?

Nyambura

surfer girl
You're welcome. The Serious Shining Spray by Elucence has the following 'cones: cyclomethicone, phenyltrimethicone, and dimethicone (in that order). And depending on how frequently you clarify your hair, that will determine whether silicone buildup matters. I clarify once a month, twice at most, and have not had a problem. Good luck!

G

Okay and those silicones don't leave a lot of build up right? What is the purpose of silicones anyway in hair products?

Nyambura

surfer girl
The Serious Shining Spray contains those silicones to make the hair shiny. I haven't had a problem with buildup from this product yet. So far so good. Silicones in conditioner help provide slip. I suppose it's the same for detanglers that contain the same.

G

What kind of conditioner do you use? The Elucence conditioner and shampoo? I want to use it too..but I was looking for something else that will fit my budget at this time.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Yep, I use the Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo ($6) and the Moisture Balancing Conditioner ($8). A less expensive conditioner I really like is the Herbal Essences' Fruit Fusions line, specifically the Hydrating Conditioner (it's in the purple bottle). I've heard Jade 21 and Tracy rave about the Herbal Essence Intensive Blends Conditioning Balm but I haven't been able to find it in the shops here. It's available at drugstore.com - which will provide free shipping for all orders over $25 (but I guess that defeats the purpose of containing costs
). Here's a pic:

Others on the Board have had great success with Pantene Smooth & Sleek, Daily Moisture Renewal or Relaxed & Natural conditioners. Both Herbal Essences and Pantene are good, inexpensive conditioners that are easy to find. I also like Le Kair cholesterol treatment - that's super cheap. For inexpensive shampoos I like the Elasta QP line. I know that Megon W, another LHCF member, has had good results with the Clairol Renewal 5x shampoo and conditioner. Others have sung the praises of Creme of Nature (frequently referred to on this Board as "CoN"). Sorry I don't have more shampoo brands but I've not had much luck with really inexpensive shampoo generally because they tend to contain really harsh detergents like ammonium sulfates, which is terrible on my hair, esp. with all this hard water. HTH!

G

I was using the Cream of Nature myself but I want to make a switch because whenever I start my "hair program" I want to use products from the same line. In the past, I had to use Cream of Nature with another conditioner not made by them. Speaking of Cream of Nature-I did not know it was the CON that everyone was talking about until recently. I also do not want to use a shampoo that contains sodium lauryl sulfate and I have hard water too.

Nyambura

surfer girl
The fun part of putting together a regimen is exploring various products and routines to figure out which one(s) work best for you.
But you don't have to use all products from the same line to get the best effects for your hair. You might find that a shampoo from one line does better than a shampoo from the line that makes a conditioner that your hair just loves. If you can't find a shampoo and conditioner from the same line that you absolutely love, feel free to mix it up!

G

Yeah that's true like I said I have used different products from different lines but I thought I should change that and be consistent. Another thing, right now I don't have the budget to try various products because it can get very costly. Over the years, though I have done that and I went through products that were horrible for my hair! But, I started using the Cream of Nature a few years ago-it worked fine but I want to make a change and try some of the products that they use on here...like the Elucence line but right now I need to find something that fits my budget.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
I think cones become a problem when you don't get it off via some clarifying method.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if your clarifying shampoo contains silicone of some form? In almost every "moisturizing" product I have I see some form of silicone in it. Does it really break the hair eventually?

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
I think cones become a problem when you don't get it off via some clarifying method.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if your clarifying shampoo contains silicone of some form? In almost every "moisturizing" product I have I see some form of silicone in it. Does it really break the hair eventually?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pantene clarifying doesnt have any cones I dont think, and its not moisturizing at all. True it does dry my hair but only a dime amount will get rid of my buildup. What clarifying shampoos are you refering to?

G

The Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo has a silicone in it. I was just wondering why this is considered bad for the hair...the daily moisturizers I'm using has silicones in them too...I thought they moisturized my hair great. If I'm supposed to clarify-which I have done twice since I took the braids out-if the shampoo contains a silicone then I guess its not clarifying my hair. Maybe I need to look for a new clarifying shampoo-my hair does feel dry after using it anyway.