Color Gurus: Questions About Hair Color Remover

aprilbiz

Hi Hair color Gurus (Tracy ,
)

I'd like to know about hair color remover. Does it damage the hair? Is this a good thing to do before you apply another tint? Since I want to go lighter I would like to know if this is something I should do to remove my dark brown tint...

Thanks!

Tracy

Depends on what kind you use...

Semipermanent color removers have never presented a problem on my hair. I've used them more than once...

I heard tell from a little birdie (Denali! Who is also a color guru - quiet as it's kept
) that PERMANENT color removers are DISASTERS!

HotCoCoGurl130

Re: Color Gurus: Questions About Hair Color Remov

Instead of removing the color would it be easier just to dye your hair back to its original color.

shelli4018

Re: Color Gurus: Questions About Hair Color Remov

I used the permenant remover before. It was horrible. Not only did it strip the color, it ruined my natural color as well! It's like pouring bleach over your head! I'm surprised I had hair after that ordeal.

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Depends on what kind you use...

Semipermanent color removers have never presented a problem on my hair. I've used them more than once...

I heard tell from a little birdie (Denali! Who is also a color guru - quiet as it's kept
) that PERMANENT color removers are DISASTERS!

[/ QUOTE ]
Tracy I have learned a great deal from you

I am still in this trial and error phase with color, and boy is it fun

aprilbiz

Well I finally did my color and it was a disaster. I look like a bumble bee. Even though I put it on my ends first, they didn't do anything. Instead of washing it out at that point I went on and applied the color all over...so I get what I deserve!

aprilbiz

No unfortunately not. I will have to seek someone out to try to correct this. I don't want to go dark again, but I've got to get rid of this brassy color. What's funny is it took in the back of my head, but not on the sides...

Tracy

OY - April I'm sorry. Yeah if your ends don't lift you can't do the roots....ack. Sorry it didn't work out.

aprilbiz

Thanks Yall... After I let my hair dry I realized that my ends did lift some, just not as much. I also only left it on about 20 minutes total. I didn't do the right thing. Okay...I hate to say it, but now I'm determined to make this work.

I'm going to use some 40 volume and a high lift blonde. I'm prepared to suffer the consequences.

Tracy

APRIL!!!!

IF U HAVE A RELAXER DO NOT USE 40 VOLUME! YOU CAN MELT YOUR HAIR CLEAN OFF.....

Sorry to yell but I can't stress enough...only do this if you're natural. And even then i don't recommend it since you already colored.

aprilbiz

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
APRIL!!!!

IF U HAVE A RELAXER DO NOT USE 40 VOLUME! YOU CAN MELT YOUR HAIR CLEAN OFF.....

Sorry to yell but I can't stress enough...only do this if you're natural. And even then i don't recommend it since you already colored.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay to yell at me when I need it! Fortunately, I have been doing some reading and decided that it would not be a good idea. What saved me the most is that I had a bottle of it from my last bleaching episode and I just threw it away while clearing out old products.

Sadly, as long as I've been bleaching/dyeing my hair, I did not realize the damage that peroxide does. I always thought it was the bleaching agent that did the most damage. I knew about the varying strengths in the developers, but just didn't pay that much attention.

I've been a total daredevil on my head for so many years (which is why I've lost all my hair before). I swore off that behavior, but old habits die hard.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
aprilbiz said:
I've been a total daredevil on my head for so many years (which is why I've lost all my hair before). I swore off that behavior, but old habits die hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a former haircolor daredevil, I can totally understand that!!
It's scary the things I USED TO put my hair through...
But now I wouldn't DREAM of doing those things.
It's just not worth it. (It's REALLY tough starting over!!
) I'm all about hair health now.

Tracy

You people are crazier than I thought!

to all... you know I love my fellow color junkies...

But ya'll have me beat. I will NEVER use 40 Volume again...but someone has to..so I'll live vicariously through y'all....

:::::tracy wonders if a 40 volume bleach would be less damaging without any ammonia......::::

Tracy

Karonica - ok now I'm bugging....she used JUST developer? Nothing else? On your relaxed hair...?

I want details girl!

Karonica

Re: Color Gurus: Questions About Hair Color Remover

Denali, guess what?

I went to a new girl to do my hair, not A. that I told you about.

Anyway, she applied the stuff without the booster (I don't think she heard me when I said it needed a booster). Anyway, she proceeded to apply it. She left me sitting there (didn't put me under the dryer). About 15 min. later,she checked it out and it hadn't done anything. She was suspicious that my ends were not the same color Sunset Brown as she applied. So, she ran across the street to the BSS to get the booster.

When she came back, she had a revelation. She said she knew something was wrong since my hair didn't change at all, even though she hadn't used the booster. Apparently, Sunset Brown is a DARK color!
It's supposed to be a really dark brown!!! I used to wonder why when I looked at color swatches online of S.B., it was always dark.

She told me that this was why stylists were always having such a hard time lifting my hair with that color, because they were basically dyeing my hair darker than it was, and then trying to lift it back up again. She also said this was why I was having such a hard time with my ends, because of all that lightener I was getting continuously placed in my head. She said instead of the lady admitting she was wrong (I told you how the lady who first used S.B. on my head and how she was all baffled
) she probably didn't want to tell the truth and had me thinking I had the correct color. She said next time, go by the color ring of hair that they have, and not by the name, cuz you know SB does sound like a light color.

Anyway, because my hair did nothing, she added the 40 level peroxide and bleached it. She said I can't get another perm for like 2 months and I need to use plenty of oil on my head for now on. I'm so glad I found her!!!!!

Here, look at the swatch for yourself!

http://www.independentbeauty.com/clairol.htm#MISS%20CLAIROL

PS- My color is darker now, but it looks like a rich, reddish cinnamon. Very pretty.

Everyone up in the salon now wants this color.

Karonica

LOL! There are your details girl.
Anymore questions, lemme know. This was an experience!

Tracy

Ok - so yeah I have more questions
So she just bleached the ends?

You said:

{this was why I was having such a hard time with my ends, because of all that lightener I was getting continuously placed in my head.}

So she only did your roots? I'm confused...

And I want my hair color back BADLY so if you found a way to lighten dark hair that was perviously colored AND relaxed without losing it, I need to know about it...

Tracy

And is it even, the color? All uniform? I know it's sometimes hard to get that when you use just developer.

And what do you mean they were taking it dark (I understand the SB was a darker color than you thought) and then trying ti "lighten it again"...how were they attempting that? With each color attempt? In the same day, or spread out?

Karonica

She first applied the dye to my roots, and it did nothing.

When she came back from the BSS, she mixed some sutff, and applied it to my roots (I think this was the 40 and bleach). She then added something on my ends, I think it was the color mix and she might have added some of the bleach mix too. She wanted my ends to match my roots, which is why she applied some of the color to my ends, but she didn't so this at first. She did this on the second try.

It was a crazzzy process. The black turleneck I wore is ruined.
Some of the stuff got on it (how I don't know), and whatever it is, I don't think it can be washed out. I'll try and see.

Blast the first hairdresser to use Sunset Brown and continued doing so when she was wrong, BLAST HER!!!!!!!

As far as my ends, she said they were split. I told her I just had a trim 2 weeks ago.
She said I needed a thorough trim, and I explained to her how my ends were always splitting. She said from those previous times I got my hair dyed with SB and had to get all that lightener to lift it, is what damaged them.

Karonica

Yip, Tracy, all in the same day.

Sunset Brown darkens your hair. So, they're applying a dark dye to my hair, and then applying booster to lighten it. And lots of booster, because out of all the times, they'd sit me under the dryer, and end up pulling me back from under it to apply more gunk because it wasn't lifting like it should. That doesn't make sense, yuh know?

My ends are still a bit lighter than the rest of my hair, since my previously dyed hair was much lighter. My roots are a bit lighter too, but I really like it. Kinda looks like a sunburst. It's not a drastic lightness though.

I'm going to dye my eyebrows brown next week. With facial lightener.

moneychaser

K I think I have Sun-Blonde Brown in my hair

That sounds like a major ordeal. You really can't trust anybody I see. That first stylist was just wrong for playing with your hair like that. I am happy that you figured everything out now, and you didn't experience any damage.

Karonica

Okay, that makes sense Den.

I think I may try Sun Bronze next time or Coppertone.