cold weather and dry scalp/hair

janaq2003

These past weeks , sub zero temps have been drying my poor scalp and hair. I even tried natural oils but they make my scalp itch. What are you ladies doing to keep your hair/scalp happy?

felic1

I have been wearing my wig. I came out of some braids so I have been doing treatments twice weekly with Okra reconstructor and deep conditioner treatments until I go into some braids or a weave. I am heavy sealing with oil and some palm butter by SSI or SM curl enhancing smoothie. Then I am braiding it up

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Wigging it (same as felic1 )

Also, plenty of rich Butters, Cremes. DC'ers, Steam Rx's etc......

I will also Baggy in the evenings. Using LCO, LBOC etc...methods

Rozlewis

I have been steaming my hair on a regular basis and that helps the hair/scalp to retain moisture. In addition, I am using the LOC method and using heavier products such as JBCO and butters. Last, when I am exposed to outdoor elements I always wear silk lined hats. I also protect my ends 90% of the time. Cowashing mid-week is an added benefit and gives a nice moisture boost.

BFeathers

Oiling the mess out of my scalp and hair and putting in my DIY sew in ponytail and turning it into a bun.

My hair soaks up oils like a sponge it just needs the chance so Wed-Fri it gets to do just that with my bun. My hair is usually fine in the winter but it's acting crazy right now.

kupenda

I've been tucking most of my hair under a half wig and using a thick moisturizer daily. Im also dc'ing more often and using oil with mineral oil as a main ingredient over my dc'er. I massage my scalp with oil/butters and practice low manipulation

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
LCOB method, Steam DCs, & Overnight oil prepoos. In warm weather the only change I'll make is dropping the butter (B in LCOB).

WYSIWYG

The cold doesn't bother my scalp/hair so much, it's this dryyyyyyy central heat! To fight the itchies:
- I run a humidifier in the bedroom at night.
- I shower with a light silk scarf on my head instead of a shower cap to let the steam in.
- I lightly spritz my scalp with distilled water and massage it with a little emu oil before I m&s my hair.
- Then I spritz the inside of my scarf with distilled water before I tie my hair up for the night.

No more itchies!

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
For me:
- shampoo/wash less frequently (from weekly to biweekly for my scalp)
- use JBCO in my DCs
- use various butters for sealing my ends
- wear satin lined hats when I go out in cold weather
- if scalp gets itchy, I massage in a vinegar containing spray (currently LACE Naturals Ayurvedic Spray) followed by a sulfur containing oil/butter product

Last edited:

WYSIWYG

I heard that oils can clog the scalp making dry scalp worse. Is that true?
Emu oil absorbs deeply into the skin without clogging pores. It's the only oil I can put directly on my scalp with no itching or dandruff. I use it on my face too with no breakouts - and my sensitive skin will break out if you look at me the wrong way.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
My twists have been bone dry and I had an increase in breakage. I read this thread and did an impromptu co-wash and then deep condition. My hair feels like butter! I must have been underestimating the effects this cold winter air has on my hair and skin. Thanks for the thread and responses.

Evolving78

My twists have been bone dry and I had an increase in breakage. I read this thread and did an impromptu co-wash and then deep condition. My hair feels like butter! I must have been underestimating the effects this cold winter air has on my hair and skin. Thanks for the thread and responses.
my eczema is starting to flare up and I am giving myself and oil treatment prepoo right now.

niknakmac

I have been killing my hair with shea butter to combat the cold. Whipped shea and olive oil on damp hair seems to be locking in the moisture.

ajargon02

Have you tried to mix a little tea tree essential oil mixed with jojoba oil and apply directly to your scalp? The jojoba oil is similar to sebum (the natural oil your scalp produces) so it should soak right in. The tee tree should help with the itching when mixed with a carrier oil. Hth

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
*wash less frequently - washing every 2 weeks right now
*wear lined beanies
*lightly oil scalp a few times per week
*use Komaza scalp products (bountiful mane & pona hair and scalp)
*do an overnight prepooo before washing
*spritz hair daily

Tea tree helps with dry, itchy, flaky scalp.

Misseyl

I prepoo with a combination of olive, coconut, castor, argon, oils and some glycerin and my scalp stays itch free for a week.

Beany

Steaming weekly
Heat cap 2-3x a week after I M&S
Baggying 3-4 days/nights a week
Oiling scalp every other day (right now I'm using NO honey and jojoba balm)
Keeping my hair covered in satin (a satin scarf under my tam during work hours, bonnet during off hours)

GGsKin

I've been wigging it too. Baggying all day and night. Last week I had my hair out. I upped my MHM regimen (cowashing, clay etc) during that time and baggied at night. My hair felt good.

Mad Scientist

Have you tried to mix a little tea tree essential oil mixed with jojoba oil and apply directly to your scalp? The jojoba oil is similar to sebum (the natural oil your scalp produces) so it should soak right in. The tee tree should help with the itching when mixed with a carrier oil. Hth

What about almond oil? I used a mixture of almond, tea tree and peppermint oils applied directly to my scalp and it worked like a CHARM. I'm talking about I went almost 2 weeks without shampooing or cowashing without a flake. Now it seems to not be working anymore. My scalp is out of control. It's getting embarassing. If I don't oil it every single day, it will start flaking. I oiled it last night and when I part my hair it does look dry and it itches, but it's not flaking at least. Still...I need some suggestions. Im going to find a dermatologist but I don't want to use prescription dandruff shampoo bc it's been rough on my hair in the past.

Mad Scientist

That ACV rinse was the business! I don't want to get too excited but it really helped. My scalp has never felt so clean w/o shampoo. I do still have a few flakes around my hairline but I'm gonna do another rinse in a few days and start doing them weekly or so.

nlamr2013

I wonder if it's the temp for me too. Usually I have flakes quickly after I wash regardless but this last time I washed I could literally peel pieces of my scalp and hair line skin away. It's either the weather or the fact that I used baking soda on my scalp. I wanna say last time I used baking soda on my scalp it peeled like this but I haven't been documenting my hair well enough. I'll document this time to see when something like this happens again, for now olive oil is keeping the peeling down.

SEMO

Misting my hair at night and re-applying a leave-in or moisturizer and some kid of heavy cream to seal in the moisture helps me. When I try to go more than a day or two without re-moisturizing my hair gets crazy dry, and I know I'll pay for it when it's time to detangle on wash day.

ajargon02

What about almond oil? I used a mixture of almond, tea tree and peppermint oils applied directly to my scalp and it worked like a CHARM. I'm talking about I went almost 2 weeks without shampooing or cowashing without a flake. Now it seems to not be working anymore. My scalp is out of control. It's getting embarassing. If I don't oil it every single day, it will start flaking. I oiled it last night and when I part my hair it does look dry and it itches, but it's not flaking at least. Still...I need some suggestions. Im going to find a dermatologist but I don't want to use prescription dandruff shampoo bc it's been rough on my hair in the past.

Almond, grapeseed, olive oil are all good when used in moderation. I would do an oil prepoo prior to washing your haur with dandruff shampoo. This will help it not to strip the life out of ur hair.
Hth

overtherainbow

Its been a solid -15 in my city for the past two weeks. I just hide my hair under a bonnet and beanie at least 4 days out of the week for protection. I dress it up with different twisted bangs styles.