Can a hot oil treatment replace deep conditioning?

whitedaisez

Lately, I've been thinking that using oils known to penetrate the hair shaft, such as castor oil, as a hot oil treatment, could be just as effective as using a deep conditioner. I was thinking of applying the oil to dry hair under heat and shampooing it out, then using a regular conditioner to detangle. Do you guys think this method is as effective and more cost-effective than buying a separate conditioner for deep conditioning?

Damaged but not out

I didnt have conditioner or leave in for about 3 months. Used oils and clay( to keep hair stretched). Just had to use them more frequently. Oil rinses 2/3 times a week, oil overnight 1 time a week. Castor/coconut oil on wet hair as leave in. I also had to keep my hair snag free(no lazy days), since I had no creamy conditioner to fall back on to detangle.

But life is simpler when I can just DC once a week with aubreys.

lazy days= the days( more like weeks) when I don't comb my hair, basically letting it turn into a rats nest.

Flawlis1

During my lazy phases, and to switch things up I replace DC with hot oils and have had good results before.

empressri

Not on my head. My hair would laugh and then ask for some real conditioner. But I use my oils on top of treatments.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
^^^^This is me also, my hair like thick and creamy stuff so I NEED a DC but I do mix oil in the combo.