Coconut Milk is the Ish: Vol 2

sengschick

The Bun Master
character58.gif
Yes, yes, I'm once again tooting the horn for coconut milk. The holiday weekend was a little rough of my tresses. My freshly coiffed hair had the unfortunate duty of attending a drizzly outdoor wedding on a super humid Sunday and then it was subjected to a full on downpour which further decimated my twist-out
mad.gif
. Since I had just washed I wanted to do something simple and mild to my hair. I didn't want deep conditioning, but if I do too little my hair isn't happy either
think.gif
. Coconut Milk!!!

I used an organic brand of Thai milk, which was labeled as 'virgin'. It was thick and creamy, and lacked the souring Goya smell. It was only $1.83 and I think Goya is maybe .30 -.50 cent cheaper, but this is worth it. I used 1/3 of the can as a pre-treatment for 30 mins. Then I hopped in the
bath2.gif
, rinsed and used another 1/3 as a shampoo. I have flaky, itchy scalp sometimes which forces me too poo, so I was really testing the CM w/this one. My final 1/3 of the can had a special treat! I guess you should shake the can before opening
crazy.gif
b/c I noticed that there was a thin layer of milk and then just straight oil at the bottom!
shocked.gif
weird.gif
So that was my conditioner!!! It gave me amazing slip, so my tangled hair detangled like a dream. And my itchy scalp is here no more!!
party2.gif
I finished w/my BabyCurls inspired Coconut Milk leave-in. And y'all know the rest my hair is super soft, light, bouncy, shiny and is totally hydrated. I'm adding this to the regular rotation, it's my "You Should Coco Day"!
grin.gif

I'm texturized, but some days those 4a patches feel real natural!
laugh.gif
I'm a few days shy of being 18 wks post-relaxer
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I'm texturized, but some days those 4a patches feel real natural!
laugh.gif
I'm a few days shy of being 18 wks post-relaxer
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Wow!! How long are you planning to wait before your touchup?? I'm at about 14 weeks now and I can't wait for mine!! (Probably going to get it done next week)

25, Lindy, 25
ohwell.gif
. I wanted to reach 26, but I'm going white water rafting that week and I'll have to have a shake n' go. It's been so long now that I don't really even notice. I've finally learned to do twist-outs so well that they totally straighten my roots (most of them, not those 4a areas...but those are two small sections & they aren't unmanagable), so it's not so bad. It's too hot to rollerset in my non-air conditioned house anyway!
laugh.gif

I was just in your album and your hair looks great. I love the Honey Wheat color and that rollerset was beautiful!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thanks for the reminder Sengschick. I have some organic coconut milk in my freezer (it keeps very well) and I'll be pulling it out again, maybe my next wash.
smile.gif

Sure Isis! I buy organic everything, but this is one case when I really think it's a superior product. Downside on the organic milk is that it spoils much faster. That was the main reason I wanted to use the whole can! Last time I had to throw it away after sitting in fridge for a week. Goya can sit for at least 2 w/o being frozen
ohwell.gif
!

It has a thick film on top. Skin, is the term actually. You know like soup when it get's cold, only a bit thicker. And it had a more intense spoiled milk smell. Thai milk gets lumpy more rapidly than the Latin version which smells rotten more rapidly.

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I was just in your album and your hair looks great. I love the Honey Wheat color and that rollerset was beautiful!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Sengschick!!
smile.gif
You're a
littleangel2.gif

Is the coconut milk leave in just coconut milk or is there something else mixed in?

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Is the coconut milk leave in just coconut milk or is there something else mixed in?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a mixer. I just grabbed all the stuff my hair likes most. It's mostly distilled water (3/4 of the bottle), then I added the end of a bottle of Elasta's H-Two (which was only a few ounces), a nice squeeze of Aloe Vera Gel, a quarter sized portion of Lacio Lacio (maybe a little more), a capful of avocado oil, several drop of castor oil and then topped it off w/the milk. I just shake it vigorously to get it to combine, then test the mixture by spraying it on my hand before using. You don't want it too milky or too oily either, never had either result though.

So how are you guys using this? Do you put it on dry hair and let it sit and then wash it? Do you put it on sit under heat and wash it? Do you use it as conditioner and then rinse it out? Please tell.

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
So how are you guys using this? Do you put it on dry hair and let it sit and then wash it? Do you put it on sit under heat and wash it? Do you use it as conditioner and then rinse it out? Please tell.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the wonderful thing WT, you have so many possibilities!!! It can be used w/ or w/o other conditioners. I've found that if you use Goya or a Latin brand, the milk is very thin, the Thai is thick, so I use conditioner more often w/the Goya to help it hold in the hair.

If I use it as a pre-treatment I start on dry hair. Sometimes I mix it w/a little Nature's Gate Aloe Treatment conditioner, then I just do something else until I get ready to wash. I usually don't use poo w/it b/c it strips the oil from the milk right back out of the hair
frown.gif
. So I condition wash. It can also be used for deep conditioning, again w/ or w/o another conditioner. I always deep condition w/heat, but it's not necessary. You'll receive the benefits if you let it sit for @ least 15 mins. before your final rinse. I find that unlike most conditioners, if I let the water run over my hair for a full minute, it seems to release more oil from the milk. Make sure it's not hot, but warm is okay. As your hair dries the oil will be replaced w/the feeling of softness and moisture, b/c the oil in the milk seals it in
smile.gif

Back