Co-workers hair Blues

Netta1

Hello all! There is this lady at my job who has some hair care concerns. 1st of all her hair is relaxed. But she has a problem with dry scalp and frizzy hair. The products that she uses on her hair are as follows: African Best relaxer (no lye), Scalp treatment (Botanicals)- this product has petroleum (SP), she also uses a neutralising Shampoo. She gets a relaxer once a month and the last time she got a trim was in 1998!!!!!!!!

These are some of my sugguestions to her:

1. Extend the time between getting perms
2. Get split ends cut
3. Get a deep conditioner (LeKairs?)

Here are some of my questions:

How often should she trim?

Does she need a reconstructer and why?

Does she need a protein conditioner?

What other types of products should she get?

Thanks for your help.

chanou

[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:
she also uses a neutralising Shampoo. She gets a relaxer once a month and the last time she got a trim was in 1998!!!!!!!! [/quote

Does she use the neutralising shampoo everytime she washes her hair? I find that if use it often- It dries my hair-
She should start using a moisturizing shampoo instead and get a trim-

Netta1

Yes she does use a NS everytime she washes her hair, any sugguestions on the moisturising shampoo? What about Creme of nature ( yellow and black bottle) ?

Dolce_Dawn

As far as moisturizing poos I've heard CON was good and Kercare Hydrating Detangling is EXCELLENT! Also, Neutrogena's Triple Moisture is supposed to be very moisturizing...

Dolce_Dawn

What you mentioned above, Creme of Nature (CON). Sorry for the confusion
. She can get Keracare from JC Penney's salons, ULTA (my personal fave b/c they always have a sale) or Trade Secret. I can't vouch for CON personally, but that Keracare makes my hair feel like silk and makes my new growth lay down. I've been able to stretch my relaxers w/it it's so good.

Just a suggestion...

Netta1

Oh ok, lol. Keracare shampoo huh? What do you use for a deep conditioner or protein conditioner. Do you think she needs a protein treatment followed by a moisturising treatment. If so what products do you suggest?

Dolce_Dawn

Well, I use Paul Mitchell's Color Care conditioner b/c I have highlights and, again, SILK! But she may want to try the whole line of Keracare; it gets lots of raves and a lot of people like their Humecto conditioner . Aubrey's GPB is another good conditioner. It has some mild protein in it and at the same time is moisturizing. As far as a protein treatments go (heavy duty, makes your hair hard Aphogee type thing), I've never actually had one. So, I can't help there...

I really wish I could see her hair, though. It's so hard to try and guess and estimate, but the basics are good poo, moisturizing conditioner, get rid of damage (TRIM) and pampering/nurturing through styling techniques. She should NOT be using HEAT everyday if she does. And I cannot emphasize trimming dead/damaged ends enough. She needs to start w/a clean, receptive canvas.

HTH

Dolce_Dawn

Oh! And tell her NO MORE NEUTRALIZING SHAMPOOS! They have one purpose, to stop relaxing chemicals in their tracks (and I don't even use them for that!). They are NOT for regular shampoo use!!!!

Neroli

Sounds like she needs more moisture all the way around. What is her hair type? I am 4b relaxed and am now a convert to condition washes in the last couple of months -- hair just full of bounce and shine. How about suggesting condition washes for more moisture and take a break from the neutralizing shampoo (whew, that sounds really stripping to be washing hair with just that all the time, yikes!). If CW not for her, then moisturizing shampoos followed by moisturizing deep conditioners (so many to suggest, from cheapies like suave coconut & milk & honey to more expensive moisturizing products from nexxus, paul mitchell, etc) that's gotta be better than neutralizing every time! Also, instead of using a protein based leave in, how about something more moisurizing - I can personally recommend giovanni direct leave in and nexxus headress.

Netta1

Yes moisture all the way around is thew ay to go, she might not be ready for the CO washes. But I think I will get her started on the KeraKare line. Maybe we can can take a trip to trade secret to get some Keracare products-the entire line if we have to go there. I think shes planning on making an appointment with a old stylist of mine to get her ends trimmed. I will try to take a picture of her hair before/after and post them in my album. YES the neutralizing shampoos must go and of course relaxing once a month is a really really really terrible thing to do. But anyhow I can't really tell her hair type cause shes relaxed and I can't see a trace of new growth. Does Karacare have a website?

Mariaat40

Also, while some ladies do just fine with the no lye relaxers, others have found them to be extremely drying. One of the hair books I read (can't remember which one. It was written by a man.) said that no-lye relaxers are largely responsibile for the dry, brittle, breaking hair that so many black women suffer from.

HOTCHOCOLATE

Here is a treatment that I've been doing for the last month. I'm doing my treatment a little different than the article. I apply shea butter to the scalp and hair twice a week after my shampoo wash. Also, I ordered online at www.nasabb.com

TREATMENT FOR DRY UNMANAGEABLE HAIR WITH OR WITHOUT SPLIT ENDS.

FROM THE AMERICAN SHEA BUTTER INSTITUTE:

In many cases dry unmanageable hair is simply unhealthy hair. The hair shaft, often called a strand of hair, may be suffering from depletion of vital components needed to maintain its natural beauty. On the other hand, the hair follicle, often called the hair root, maybe deficient in important nutrients needed for healthy growth. Shea butter provides treatment for the hair root and the hair shaft. When applied to the scalp, shea butter provides nutrients to improved the health of hair follicles(roots). Likewise, shea butter provides body and gives a fuller head of head. Besides increased body, shea butter provides increase protection from sun, heat, cold, and environmental pollutants.This treatment is recommended for professional hair stylist or individuals. The treatment plan given below may be employed on a routinely in the hair stylist shop or individuals may employ the treatment at home. Follow the 6 month treatment plan below to softer, more manageable, and better looking hair.

First Step: TREATMENT OF THE HAIR ROOTS WITH SHEA BUTTER:
Once A Month Hair And Scalp Treatment For At Least 6 Months

FOR THE SCALP: Simply part the hair and liberally apply 100% Pure Premium Shea Butter directly to the scalp. Be sure to apply the shea butter to the entire scalp, always parting the hair to expose the scalp before applying shea butter. Remember, the hair roots benefit from the healing power of the shea butter.

FOR THE HAIR: Part and separate a small portion of hair, liberally and thoroughly apply shea butter throughout the length of that portion of hair. Then repeat the application of shea butter to another small portion of hair. Continue to apply shea butter to small portions of hair until you have moistened all the hair. Be sure to include the area where broken, or split ends occur. Once the hair is thoroughly moistened with Shea Butter, you are ready for the wrap.

THE WRAP: Wet a clean towel with warm water, then wrap the hair and head, (not the face) with the warm wet towel. Be sure to cover all the hair. The warm towel helps the shea butter to deeply penetrate the hair shaft. You should allow the wrap to remain until it cools. Once cooled, remove the towel and repeat the wrap if necessary until all the shea butter has absorbed into the hair. When finished, the hair should be clear of any un-melted shea butter.

COMB: Now gently comb the hair in all directions (front, back, left, and right). Total combing time should be at least 5 minutes. Once the hair is thoroughly combed, you may style the hair as you desire.
NOTED: Do not use a hair dryer in place of the warm wrap. It is very important to have a bit of moist heat.

Second Step: THE SHEA BUTTER PLUS WARM WRAP
Twice A Month Scalp Treatment For Least 6 Months

FOR THE SCALP: Simply part the hair and liberally apply 100% Pure Premium Shea Butter directly to the scalp. Be sure to apply the shea butter to the entire scalp, always parting the hair to expose the scalp and hair roots before applying shea butter. Remember, the hair roots benefit from the healing power shea butter. After all hair roots have been fed, then thoroughly comb the hair and style as desired.

AFTER CARE: After you have completed the 6 month nourishing program, you will need to keep your new head of hair, healthy and looking good. For long term moisturizing and root nutrition, use the 100% Premium Pure Shea Butter to the scalp every 2 or 3 weeks or more frequent if desired. You may use the warm wrap at least once every two months, or more frequent if desired. The Shea Butter Scalp and Hair treatment will keep the hair moisten, nourished, and manageable over the long term

Finally, since the hair is an extension of the skin, it is quite likely that persons suffering with dry unmanageable hair, are also suffering with dry nutrient deficient skin. To treat dry nutrient deficient skin, apply 100% Pure Premium Shea Butter to the skin daily after each bath, (morning or night is OK). This skin application should include the entire body.

Netta1

Oh BTW does Keracare have hair moisturising creams/oils that do not contain petroleum or mineral oil. And trade secret does not carry any Keracare products, bummer.

Dolce_Dawn

You and your co-worker should browse through the website. She may not want an oil, but I think they offer one w/o mineral or petroleum in it. They have lots of stuff and it'll be good to know what you want before you get it.

www.avlon.com

Also, I'm sorry about Trade Secret not offering it
. Don't forget JC Penney's does!