Celeb Hair Regimes and more...

melodee

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
ms kenesha and karonica:

ok now that you've explained it that way i understand where ya'll are coming from better. See now this is one of the reasons i stopped buying hair magazines since 2000 cause i was getting disgusted about how they would LIE all the damn time. Why should i pay $5 for a colorful picture book of lies. i think the only honest celebrity is probably mary j. blige cause shes not ashamed to say she has weave. Everyone elese tends gives vague answers about their hair routines. Even aaliyah who i loved was vague about certain aspects of her haircare because i dont believe all of it was hers as her stylist would claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Babyblue,
Now you feel me, right? I don't think that this fentiment is necessarily perpetuated by the stars themselves, but mainly by the hairstylists who are sworn to secrecy in many cases. It really doesn't matter why you are wearing that weave, case in point it is a weave. Those hair mags do often print lies or fail to revel the whole truth. And often times their tone is so condesending. That's all I'm saying.

Karonica

Yip. I wouldn't recommend people to buy hair magazines for advice on how to take care of their hair. I buy them for style ideas and entertainment purposes. Beats the heck out of reading a book for class.

asummertyme

yeah i would not believe some of what those magazine's claim...it is obvious to me when i see the celebritys hair that they are wearing a weave or a wig....i dunno why they say those things in the interview's but i dont listen to it anyhow.i normally buy those hair magazines fot the hair styles, not for the commentary...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
sounds like ol' Derrick done lost his mind

Shoot, not only would your hair not grow if you went to him, it would most likely get shorter. But, I guess if you waited a YEAR between relaxers, you could grow some hair

Ayeshia

Totally true about hair care advice...I was reading an old issue of SBH tia and Tamera Mowry said they clip their ends every three weeks to make it grow longer....does that make any sense? And I read another article with a representative from the new pantene relaxed and natural line recommending that black women wash their hair every two and a half weeks so the hair doesnt dry out...what a loser!!!!!!

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Yip. I wouldn't recommend people to buy hair magazines for advice on how to take care of their hair. I buy them for style ideas and entertainment purposes. Beats the heck out of reading a book for class.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments EXACTLY!

inthepink

A lot of what was mentioned in this thread is the main reason I stopped buying those magazines! They didn't tell me what I was hoping for - just all seemed like "lies" but I guess they are nice for styling ideas!

Sky

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Halle also says Neeko does her hair and she has listed him as her main stylist many times, I've also seen her state that she has a relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I heard that too .... and isnt she on one of the Revlon perm boxes?

CoCoChantel

Ok see I think I'm losing it 'cause I remember Jada on A Different World and her hair was @#*%$@$&ed up! Not the slightest hint of a curl; just puff! If her has such a managable texture why would they jack it up for the show? I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just such a big change from then to now.

velvethalo

[ QUOTE ]
CoCoChantel said:
Ok see I think I'm losing it 'cause I remember Jada on A Different World and her hair was @#*%$@$&ed up! Not the slightest hint of a curl; just puff! If her has such a managable texture why would they jack it up for the show? I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just such a big change from then to now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like she has a texturizer to me. I'm not saying that couldn't be he hair, but I think texturizers are more normal than folks let on.

I also think Sydney Portier's (sp?) daughter has a texturizer. I've seen in in other pictures where her hair has a lot more shrinkage and frizz.

melodee

And the point I was trying to make was the relaxers, texturizers, and styling aids are options for all of us now, from those with the slightest wave to the tightest "beads". I thank God I'm living in a time where there these advanced styling products are there for me if and when I choose to use them. When my mom was younger, there were nowhere near the options. So if the stars don't use em' fine, and if they do, more power to them. But I just don't like it when those magazines try to tell me that such and such doesn't NEED them. No one NEEDS them, just like none of us NEED makeup, but most of use use it!!!

Tara

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:

Okay now on to some craziness. They had a stylists section where they talked to several famous stylists Marvin, etc. but listen to what Derrick Scurry said, "Hair should be regularly trimmed for relaxed hair, you need to discard an inch after every relaxer"
How the hell is your hair supposed to grow if you cut an inch off everytime you get a touch-up? And since when is an inch considered a trim!! Girls never go to Derrick Scurry for a trim!

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I would not have gone to him even BEFORE I read that interview. Peep the last name.....Scurry!!

He is "Scurry" because he want to cut all our hair off, so we should be "Scurred" to go to him!!

And they say what's in a name? Coincedence? I think not!

Tara

p.s. Ya'll know I'm touched

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I just got this magazine. (BH&T--Nov 2003) I just had to say that Jada's hair is looking awesome on page 20! Wow!