Christian MatchMaking?

Raspberry

I was just thinking today that it would be great if more Christians took a pro-active approach on getting each other married instead of passively expecting everyone to work it out for themselves with God.

Lemme tell yall what made me think about this and how someone seriously blessed me today :grin:

I go to a very large church but there's a particular guy there who I've noticed over the past year, I would catch him starin at me but there was never a good way to really meet each other so I dismissed it until I could know more about him. He's single, very cute, educated, and diligent about volunteering - we also have mutual friends. But it can get frustrating trying to establish friendships/relationships of any kind in a big church and I thought he might be too young for me. I hadn't told anyone I was interested knowing more about this guy.

So today I'm going to a class at church and a woman I'm friendly with (but we're not close) comes up and asks me if I have a boyfriend. I tell her no and she says she knows a single guy who might be perfect for me (same guy :blush:), that he is 28 (answers that question - I'm 30) and she wants to introduce me to him on Sunday. I was so surprised and happy she would think to do that and I had to really tell her how much I appreciated it.

Another thing is I had prayed a while back that God would bring people in my life who could help facilitate the courting/marriage process with me because it is unlikely my immediate family would take that role and I admire cultures that do.

Even if nothing comes of this it got me thinking how we Christians should maximize our relationships more to help hook each other up. The bible talks about church interactions in terms of relationships and matchmaking should be an important part of that IMO. What do you think?

Last edited:

Bunny77

You know I think this is a brilliant idea!

The only thing I'd warn against would be creating a situation where those women who currently choose to be single feel "pressured" because people are always suggesting mates for them. I'd like there to be a mutual agreement by the matchmaker and the "matchee."

Other than that, this is a great idea and one that's common in many faiths.

loolalooh

I agree. Great idea! It would be good if this was explored more.

There was plenty of matchmaking in the Bible. Naomi matching Ruth with Boaz. Abraham (through his servant) matching Isaac and Rebekah. Etc. I am not sure why this isn't done more in the Christian community today. I see it in cultural communities. My Nigerian community is more quick to match me up with a non-believer than my Christian community a believer. Hmm.

Raspberry

The only thing I'd warn against would be creating a situation where those women who currently choose to be single feel "pressured" because people are always suggesting mates for them. I'd like there to be a mutual agreement by the matchmaker and the "matchee."

I definitely agree, there would definitely have to be an opt in clause.

I agree. Great idea! It would be good if this was explored more.

There was plenty of matchmaking in the Bible. Naomi matching Ruth with Boaz. Abraham (through his servant) matching Isaac and Rebekah. Etc. I am not sure why this isn't done more in the Christian community today. I see it in cultural communities. My Nigerian community is more quick to match me up with a non-believer than my Christian community a believer. Hmm.

Interesting. I wonder what practical steps one could take to introduce the concept of matchmaking in their church circles. I know some single women don't like to tell people they're looking for a spouse because they don't want to come off as desperate or don't want people to give them useless advice like "don't worry about finding a man, it'll happen when its supposed to" lol.

Do_Si_Dos

You know I think this is a brilliant idea!

Other than that, this is a great idea and one that's common in many faiths.

I think the important thing is being spirit lead and not just introducing people because "we think" they are good together but really seeking God about who we introduce people to.

luthiengirlie

I was just thinking today that it would be great if more Christians took a pro-active approach on getting each other married instead of passively expecting everyone to work it out for themselves with God.

Lemme tell yall what made me think about this and how someone seriously blessed me today :grin:

I go to a very large church but there's a particular guy there who I've noticed over the past year, I would catch him starin at me but there was never a good way to really meet each other so I dismissed it until I could know more about him. He's single, very cute, educated, and diligent about volunteering - we also have mutual friends. But it can get frustrating trying to establish friendships/relationships of any kind in a big church and I thought he might be too young for me. I hadn't told anyone I was interested knowing more about this guy.

So today I'm going to a class at church and a woman I'm friendly with (but we're not close) comes up and asks me if I have a boyfriend. I tell her no and she says she knows a single guy who might be perfect for me (same guy :blush:), that he is 28 (answers that question - I'm 30) and she wants to introduce me to him on Sunday. I was so surprised and happy she would think to do that and I had to really tell her how much I appreciated it.

Another thing is I had prayed a while back that God would bring people in my life who could help facilitate the courting/marriage process with me because it is unlikely my immediate family would take that role and I admire cultures that do.

Even if nothing comes of this it got me thinking how we Christians should maximize our relationships more to help hook each other up. The bible talks about church interactions in terms of relationships and matchmaking should be an important part of that IMO. What do you think?

My stepfather is Nepalese. A Christian Nepalese. He said "If you are 30 and not married I will find a husband for you in the same caste. "
Okay not a problem.

My mama is kinda ehhhh about it though :lachen:

cheetarah1980

I think the important thing is being spirit lead and not just introducing people because "we think" they are good together but really seeking God about who we introduce people to.

Can we not let the two people figure that out for themselves? An introduction is just that, nothing more and nothing less. Introducing two people does not mean you've started a relationship for them, simply brought them into one another's orbit. If our lives are already spirit led then I think we should be able to trust that judgement it's given us when we think two people might hit it off.

luthiengirlie

Can we not let the two people figure that out for themselves? An introduction is just that, nothing more and nothing less. Introducing two people does not mean you've started a relationship for them, simply brought them into one another's orbit. If our lives are already spirit led then I think we should be able to trust that judgement it's given us when we think two people might hit it off.

I HEAR YOU BUT :look::ohwell::ohwell: Could people STOP introducing me to 50 year old dudes? i'm in my 20's . I know age ain't nothing but a number and he's Christian but....FIFTY?:blush::blush::nono::nono:
(sighs)
:perplexed:look::look::wallbash::wallbash:

cheetarah1980

I HEAR YOU BUT :look::ohwell::ohwell: Could people STOP introducing me to 50 year old dudes? i'm in my 20's . I know age ain't nothing but a number and he's Christian but....FIFTY?:blush::blush::nono::nono:
(sighs):perplexed:look::look::wallbash::wallbash:

LOL!! Yeah you do have a point on that one. Some folks need to use that gift called discernment. Of course a 50 year old man would want to meet a pretty young thang. Often times not so much the other way around.