Christian Heavy Metal Singer Admits being Atheist..

Iwanthealthyhair67

Convicted Heavy Metal ‘Christian’ Singer Admits Being Atheist, Duped Fans to Sell Music
By Heather Clark | christiannews.net

A so-called Christian heavy metal band whose frontman was convicted of attempting to hire a hitman to murder his estranged wife has admitted that it duped fans into believing that they were Christian in order to sell their music.

“Truthfully, I was an atheist,” Tim Lambesis, the lead singer and founder of As I Lay Dying told theAlternative Press in a recent interview. “I actually wasn’t the first guy in As I Lay Dying to stop being a Christian. In fact, I think I was the third. The two who remained kind of stopped talking about it, and then I’m pretty sure they dropped it, too.”

The publication noted that his wife, Meggan, had likewise divulged in divorce papers that Lambesis had become an atheist. Lambesis, in admitting his atheism, outlined that he turned away from Christianity as he majored in religious studies while attending college through a long distance program.

“In the process of trying to defend my faith, I started thinking the other point of view was the stronger one,” he said.

And one sin led to another, turning his renunciation of Christ into justification for his actions.

“The first time I cheated on my wife, my interpretation of morality was now convenient for me,” Lambesis explained. “I felt less guilty if I decided, “Well, marriage isn’t a real thing, because Christianity isn’t real. God isn’t real. Therefore, marriage is just a stupid piece of paper with the government.”

But he continued to profess to be a Christian, as did others in the band, in order to sell records to Christian music fans.

“I remember one Christian festival where an interviewer wanted one of the guys [in the band] to share his testimony, and he just froze up and let one of the guys who was still a Christian at the time answer the question,” Lambesis recalled. “We laughed about it afterward, but we were only laughing because it was so awkward.”

“When kids would want to pray with us after shows, I’d be like, ‘Um, go ahead and pray!’ I would just let them pray. I’d say ‘Amen.’ If praying while I have my hand on their shoulder makes them feel better, I didn’t want to take that away from them,” he continued. “When they would specifically ask me to pray for something, I’d say, ‘I don’t really like to pray out loud, but I’ll take that with me to the bus.”

He said that during his tenure with As I Lay Dying, he realized that a number of bands that professed to be Christians were faking their faith just as he was.

“We toured with more ‘Christian bands’ who actually aren’t Christians than bands that are,” Lambesis stated. “In 12 years of touring with As I Lay Dying, I would say maybe one in 10 Christian bands we toured with were actually Christian bands.”

As he continued to fall deeper into sin, Lambesis asked a personal trainer at his local gym if he knew any hitmen that could kill his wife. The lead singer was soon arrested and taken into custody following an undercover sting operation where he allegedly supplied police with directions and cash to carry out the murder. He was sentenced to six years in prison in March of this year.

But Lambesis just recently came forward with the truth about his atheism and the front that the band put on to sell records.

“A lot of Christian parents said, ‘Yes, you can buy this As I Lay Dying CD, because they’re a Christian band.’ They don’t even think to actually check the lyrics,” Lambesis stated. “So when you change your views, you kind of owe it to the fans to be honest.”

blazingthru

I never liked this type of music or any that "represent Christ" but glorify man, such as mary mary and other "christian stars". So I am so not surprised.

briacait

I'm not surprised. I believe there's other so called Christian/Gospel musicians duping the public as well. It's harder to make it in the secular music world so artists turn to wherever they can be accepted. It's terrible.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I was sharing with my family earlier today that I'm not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Wasn't it a few months ago when one of the main stream Christian music groups who out of 'no where' announced that he supported gay marriage?

God is pulling away the covers...He is exposing the wolves in sheep's clothing. All the more, we have to allow the Holy Spirit to heighten our discerning of 'spirits' and we can not care when folks accuse us of being judgmental for to be discerning is not sinful judgment, it's a requirement of being walking in wisdom.

As Christians we don't want to sit in judgement. We genuinely love people. We choose to see the good and not the bad, even for those in sin. This is one of the reasons things like this and hearing of a fallen minister, are such a 'shock' when it is exposed. Only the 'world' is not surprised simply because this is what they live for and live in the mockery of it.

More and more is coming to the surface. I'll give it a few days/weeks, as there will be news of gays coming out from the pulpit and no one can mock nor use this to blame the Church nor Christians. It's one of devils own who has masqueraded himself as a sheep yet it is not.

Last edited:

JaneBond007

Katy Perry? Well, to lie about it to sell records is one thing. Better to be yourself. You can still cross over and make music. I guess I'm more disturbed by his arrest and sentence than his struggles with faith. That's awful.

sweetvi

Wow he became so enthralled in his sin that the Devil used that to destroy his life literally.

He seeks who he can devour..

paradise1975

This is why we have to pray and use rhetoric discernment of the spirit. A lot of groups do not walk and live according to how the Bible instructs us to. They have sold their soul and integrity for money and fame. I formless believe that some Gospel artists wanted to be mainstream hip hop and r&b but didn't make the cut so they went the Christian artist route because its more accepting.

Perfect example. About 2 weeks ago Michelle Williams released Say Yes with Beyonce and Kelly. This song is about Jesus but how is Kelly and Beyonce now singing about the Lord after just talking about every sexual thing they do. Its contridicting and misleading. For those new to Christ especially it leads to an unstable both sides of the fence life.

People's lives tell if they are Christian. Not just saying it and not because they say Jesus in a song. They must live in Him in all things!!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I never liked this type of music or any that "represent Christ" but glorify man, such as mary mary and other "christian stars". So I am so not surprised.

blazingthru,

Blaz, I agree with you. I don't like it either :nono:

The heavy metal genre has always been a harsh noise, no where near worship. I mean, really? How can anything as harsh and loud and screeching take one into the presence of worshipping God?

I've often wondered, "Really, they call that Christian?" It's just noise and totally off putting. :nono:

Jenibo

Being honest here. At work I listen to my pandora during the day, and my gospel stations (Kirk Franklin, Fred Hammond, Hezekiah, so on...) do nothing for me spiritually. A song here or there will put me in the mind to praise, but the majority of the time it preps me to go and listen to a secular station. The beats are sensual, the lyrics say things I don't remember being in the Bible, singers are not being humble, and plus I know many of these stars don't live up to what they sing (thank you reality tv). They don't have to lie to kick it, so why not go listen to the musicians who are keepin it one hunnit. Why listen to watered down worldly music when I can have the real thing?

Anyways I plan on just purging my pandora and sadly my gospel stations won't make the cut

Starbucks

Being honest here. At work I listen to my pandora during the day, and my gospel stations (Kirk Franklin, Fred Hammond, Hezekiah, so on...) do nothing for me spiritually. A song here or there will put me in the mind to praise, but the majority of the time it preps me to go and listen to a secular station. The beats are sensual, the lyrics say things I don't remember being in the Bible, singers are not being humble, and plus I know many of these stars don't live up to what they sing (thank you reality tv). They don't have to lie to kick it, so why not go listen to the musicians who are keepin it one hunnit. Why listen to watered down worldly music when I can have the real thing?

Anyways I plan on just purging my pandora and sadly my gospel stations won't make the cut

Thank you for being honest. After glancing at a few of their shows (preachers of la, The Sheards, etcs) I realized that a lot of these gospel artists view it as a career and not a ministry anyway. If you are going to do that, then I'm going to hold you to the same standards as any contemporary artist. In terms of worship it hasn't been doing it for me. And it's rather distasteful because their behavior makes a mockery of what people truly believe and are willing to die for. Not cool.