Chewable protein tablets

Neroli

I like to eat and drink my protein!!! I guess vegetarians would benefit since that diet is rather low on proteins. But someone like me who low carbs, protein ain't no problem, heck, I probably get way more than I need . . . .

L

LaNecia

Alright ladies, let's go to nutrition school! :yay: Ready class?:

There are 1,000 mgs in 1 gram. The supplement you are looking at has only 250 mgs of protein, which calculates out to .25 grams of protein per tablet, or as the serving size suggests, 4 tablets = 1 gram of protein.

The diet for 'average' female requires about .75 grams of protein per lb of body weight. If you weighed 155 lbs, like me, you would ideally (according to this theory) ingest about 116 grams of protein per day. (That's 155 lbs x .75 grams of protein = 116 grams).

For the sake of explaining how it's virtually impossible to overdose on these, let's say you get your protein strictly from these tablets alone (no meat, eggs, protein drinks, nada!!), you would have to consume a whopping - eye popping 464 of these to reach your 116 grams of protein for that one day.

I think drinking a protein shake, eating a few eggs or handful of nuts would be a much better way get the protein you need if you can. That's a LOT of pills!! :)

HTH

L

LaNecia

Neroli said:
I guess vegetarians would benefit since that diet is rather low on proteins.

That's an excellent point! That would be a good way to supplement the protein of that type of diet. Though, would a true vegan have a problem with the Milk Powder? I dunno, I'm a carnivore to the 'nth' degree.

bajanplums1

The label reads to take 12 pills a day, for 3mg of protein. I'll stick with liquid amino fuel, but thanks, it seemed like a great product.

Neroli

LaNecia said:
That's an excellent point! That would be a good way to supplement the protein of that type of diet. Though, would a true vegan have a problem with the Milk Powder? I dunno, I'm a carnivore to the 'nth' degree.

Amen Sister! Me carnivore too . . . .

Leslie_C

LaNecia said:

There are 1,000 mgs in 1 gram. The supplement you are looking at has only 250 mgs of protein, which calculates out to .25 grams of protein per tablet, or as the serving size suggests, 4 tablets = 1 gram of protein.

The diet for 'average' female requires about .75 grams of protein per lb of body weight. If you weighed 155 lbs, like me, you would ideally (according to this theory) ingest about 116 grams of protein per day. (That's 155 lbs x .75 grams of protein = 116 grams).

For the sake of explaining how it's virtually impossible to overdose on these, let's say you get your protein strictly from these tablets alone (no meat, eggs, protein drinks, nada!!), you would have to consume a whopping - eye popping 464 of these to reach your 116 grams of protein for that one day.

I think drinking a protein shake, eating a few eggs or handful of nuts would be a much better way get the protein you need if you can. That's a LOT of pills!! :)

HTH

Teach on Teacher :) The only reason I know about mg and g and all that is because in pharmacology we have to learn how to do dosage calculations for medications....milligrams to grams to grains, ounces, milliliters, drams.....boy am I glad I made it through all that! They taught use a triangle to memorize that directs u how to do conversions too. sometimes I still have to draw out the triangle to do conversions! lol....its like, do I multiply or divide????

This is good info Necia! :) I didnt know how many grams of protein us normal folks are supposed to have, I know a lot of body builders eat up to 1.1 or more grams per pound of body weight. I wont even go there for how many grams of protein I need! LOL.

L

LaNecia

Carrie, Sent you an email!

Leslie_C, I sent you a PM! I'm consuming somewhere around 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight right now....I like meat and all but this gets tiresome for even me! I like the Amino Fuel too! Fills in the void when I need to get the protein but don't have it in me to do that additonal chicken breast or protein shake.

Ashee

LaNecia said:

HTH

Whoa... :eek:

If that's how many pills I would have to pop a day then hook me up to an IV & pour it in!!

aquarian1252004

Damn, I didn't read the label either and I just ordered these from PP they should be here this week! I will not be taking 12 pills a day I am already a walking vitamin shoppe!

Last edited:

Dolapo

so amino acids is the same thing and protein. Since l-cysteine is an amino acid then it's a protein. Right?

L

LaNecia

aquarian1252004 said:
Damn, I didn't read the label either and I just ordered these from PP they should be here this week! I will not be taking 12 pills a day I am already a walking vitamin shoppe!

:rofl: Same here!

Dolapo, yes, it is an amino acid/protein. Actually I was surprised to learn last week that it is a form of Sulfur, kinda like MSM...

If you're interested in another protein source, here's the info on TwinLabs Amino Liquid, it yields 15 grams of protein per 3 tlbs:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 3 TABLESPOONS
Servings Per Container 32 Liquid

Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value

Calories 100 N/A*
Total Carbohydrate 10 Gm 3%
Protein 15 Gm 30%

Vitamin B1 2.5 Mg 166%
Vitamin B2 2.5 Mg 147%
Niacin 30 Mg 150%
Vitamin B6 4 Mg 200%
Folic Acid 100 Mcg 25%
Vitamin B12 12 Mcg 200%
Biotin 10 Mcg 3%
Pantothenic Acid 30 Mg 300%
Paba 2 Mg N/A*
Choline Bitartrate 100 Mg N/A*
Inositol 100 Mg N/A*
L-Carnitine 25 Mg N/A*
L-Alanine 990 Mg N/A*
L-Arginine 980 Mg N/A*
L-Aspartic Acid 1110 Mg N/A*
L-Cystine 150 Mg N/A*
Glycine 2960 Mg N/A*
L-Glutamic Acid 1840 Mg N/A*
L-Histidine 170 Mg N/A*
L-Isoleucine 360 Mg N/A*
L-Leucine 850 Mg N/A*
L-Lysine 900 Mg N/A*
L-Methionine 180 Mg N/A*
L-Phenylalanine 380 Mg N/A*
L-Proline 1930 Mg N/A*
L-Serine 490 Mg N/A*
L-Threonine 420 Mg N/A*
L-Tryptophan 90 Mg N/A*
L-Tyrosine 210 Mg N/A*
L-Valine 480 Mg N/A*

Directions:
As a quick-acting, easily digested amino acid dietary supplement, take 3 tablespoonfuls daily or as recommended by a health care professional trainer. Amino Fuel may also be taken with meals, between meals, as a low calorie anabolic aid before workouts, or after physical activity as a post exercise recovery booster.

Other Ingredients:
Filtered water, hydrolyzed gelatin, fructose, whey protein isolate, propylene glycol, citric acid, maltodextrin, egg white hydrolysate, vegetable oil, cellulose, inositol, choline bitartrate, orange flavor, sorbic acid, sodium benzoate, methylparaben, d-calcium pantothenate, niacinamide, l-carnitine, propylparaben, vitamin B6, riboflavin 5'' phosphate sodium, thiamin hydrochloride, Para aminobenzoic acid, biotin, folic acid, cyanocobalamin, l-tryptophan.

Does Not Contain:
Whole undigested protein concentrates or protein isolates, such as calcium and potassium caseinates, whey, egg and soy isolates, acid or alkaline hydrolyzed proteins, artificial sweeteners, soy, yeast, wheat products, artifical colors or flavors.

Warnings:
Shake well before using.

I take this to supplement my protein for bodybuilding but would I take it for just having enough protein for my hair? Yes.

L

LaNecia

You can probably find this most any place that sells vitamins. It usually retails for about $19.99 for the 32 oz bottle. I purchase mine usually from Vitamin Shoppe or NutriMart (a local vendor).

It does have a taste that is a bit gritty, kinda apricot/orange/lemonish flavor. You may want to try the smaller size bottle to see if you like it. I didn't at first so I used a small amount of water and mix it with another juice to make it better, now I drink it just mixed with water.

senimoni

I agree the pills seem like a total waste of money. You are better off with the liqued fuel or a Protein Shake Just as an added comparison here is what you get in one scoop of Optimum Whey

Container Size: 2 Lbs.
Serving Size: 1 Scoop
Servings Per Container: 31

Container Size: 5 Lbs.
Servings Per Container: 77

Container Size: 10 Lbs.
Servings Per Container: 155

Amount Per Serving:

Total Calories 110
Calories From Fat 10
Total Fat 1.5 g 2*%
Saturated Fat 0.5 g 3*%
Cholesterol 10 mg 4*%
Sodium 40 mg 2%
Potassium 220 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 3 g 1*%
Sugars 1 g **%
Protein 23 g 46*%

Calcium 150 mg 15*%
L-Leucine 2470 mg
L-Isoleucine 1520 mg
L-Valine 1440 mg
L-Lysine 2120 mg
L-Methionine 440 mg
L-Phenylalanine 670 mg
L-Threonine 1720 mg
L-Tryptophan 240 mg
L-Alanine 1380 mg
L-Arginine 480 mg
L-Aspartic Acid 2490 mg
L-Cystine 440 mg
L-Glycine 530 mg
L-Histidine 400 mg
L-Proline 1540 mg
L-Serine 1240 mg
L-Tyrosine 590 mg
Glutamine 3870 mg

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

**Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, and Whey Peptides) Cocoa, Artificial Flavor, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium.

senimoni

Dolapo said:
so amino acids is the same thing and protein. Since l-cysteine is an amino acid then it's a protein. Right?

Pretty much....Amino acids are the building blocks for protein.

senimoni

Found some more interesting info on sulfur and amino acids

Sulfur is a mineral that is part of the chemical structure of Methionine, Cysteine, Taurine, and Glutathione. Sulfur disinfects the blood, resists bacteria, and protects the protoplasm of cells. It aids in oxidation reactions, stimulates bile secretions in the liver, and protects against toxic substances. Because of its ability to protect against the harmful effects of radiation and pollution, sulfur slows down the aging process and extends life span. It is found in hemoglobin and all body tissues and is needed for the synthesis of collagen, which prevents dryness and maintains elastic in the skin.

http://www.dancingwolf-inc.com/AMINO.HTM

Dolapo

senimoni said:
I agree the pills seem like a total waste of money. You are better off with the liqued fuel or a Protein Shake Just as an added comparison here is what you get in one scoop of Optimum Whey

Container Size: 2 Lbs.
Servings Per Container: 31

Container Size: 5 Lbs.
Servings Per Container: 77

Container Size: 10 Lbs.
Servings Per Container: 155

Amount Per Serving:

Total Calories 110
Calories From Fat 10
Total Fat 1.5 g 2*%
Saturated Fat 0.5 g 3*%
Cholesterol 10 mg 4*%
Sodium 40 mg 2%
Potassium 220 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 3 g 1*%
Sugars 1 g **%
Protein 23 g 46*%

Calcium 150 mg 15*%
L-Leucine 2470 mg
L-Isoleucine 1520 mg
L-Valine 1440 mg
L-Lysine 2120 mg
L-Methionine 440 mg
L-Phenylalanine 670 mg
L-Threonine 1720 mg
L-Tryptophan 240 mg
L-Alanine 1380 mg
L-Arginine 480 mg
L-Aspartic Acid 2490 mg
L-Cystine 440 mg
L-Glycine 530 mg
L-Histidine 400 mg
L-Proline 1540 mg
L-Serine 1240 mg
L-Tyrosine 590 mg
Glutamine 3870 mg

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

**Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, and Whey Peptides) Cocoa, Artificial Flavor, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium.

Does this stuff taste nice?

senimoni

Well it depends on how you drink it. If you make it with milk etc...it is better. I drink mine with water so it is a little thin but I add different things to it.

Some examples

1)Protein Mix, Water, Instant Coffee, Splenda - Pretty Good over Ice
2)PM, Water, Splenda, Cocoa, Cinnamon - Not bad either
3)Same as 1) but I use less water and I mix it with warm Coffee (not hot b/c the protein will clump up).

Depending on your weight you can add milk,fruit etc and make more of a smoothie but I don't have that luxury :).

Last edited: