Castor Oil Question (possibly embarrassingly newb)

drappedup

All right, ladies, so after seeing different videos on youtube about castor oil as well as seeing it mentioned and discussed across this forum, I kind of became curious, went to my local Sprout's market, and bought my own bottle of Home Health Castor Oil. Now, I have used said Home Health Castor Oil twice, watching a "how to" video beforehand on youtube, even. But after two uses, I am a little confused on something I'm not sure is common sense or not (I know, I know! :ohwell:). I get the impression that ladies, when using castor oil, are applying it as well as a water-based moisturizer AND an oil like Hot Six. Or at least I've seen all 3 included on listings of products used. Well I happened to use all 3 in the same styling night, and I'm thinking this is oil overload, no? I don't see how it could not be, but people including it on their lists has confused me. I feel like my hair either sometimes feels too dry or too oily (due to both Castor AND Hot Six).

So what is the whole sensible thing in regard to oil? Is it a one or the other type thing daily thing? Maybe alternate each daily?

Yes, I realize this is probably a silly question, but I just had to ask because of the vagueness (well, on my part :blush:).

^^^ I would advise that you use the castor oil sparingly on your scalp only (you can use an applicator bottle or the tips of your fingers). You can then moisturise and seal your hair as normal.

HTH's

whatever i put on my hair, castor oil is usually last to go on. if i use another oil, its usually coconut and in that case I mix the two together and put that on last. it goes like this: water, watery leave-in, then oil layer. my hair totally drinks it up. i use hot six on my ends when my hair is being worn straight...its thin like jojoba oil so light. its easier for me to wrap my straight hair with thin oils like these.

Last edited:
I like to put a leave in on my hair (like Giovanni Direct Leave In or Kinky Curly Knot Today) and seal it with castor oil, meaning I take a nickle-sized amount of co in my hand and apply it all over my hair from root to end. (After you apply a moisturizer you should use an oil or shea butter to seal.) Then I put a baggy/shower cap over my head for at least an hour to lock in moisture...I do that a few times a week...some ladies just massage castor oil on their scalp for a few minutes 2-3 times a week...Before I deep condition I like to massage my scalp with castor oil...I personally wouldn't use it with hot 6 oil since castor is pretty thick and can stand alone. If your hair feels mushy and limp you know you have oil overload.

When I first joined this site I used to baggy my bun nightly to moisturize my ends, and since thats where my relaxed hair was it didnt need so much moisture and always looked and felt wet and mushy and limp...just pay attention to how your hair looks and feels and you will know just what to do with the castor oil.

Hope this helps!

It depends on what you're using it for. I use castor oil to seal my ends. Sometimes I mix it with shea butter and apply to my scalp to soften my new growth. Be careful of bandwagons. That's how you end up with too much of product in your hair.

i agree with what keyawarren said above....be careful of using other people's entire regimen.

if you have something that works for you, try incorporating one new element for a month and see how it works. keep a hair journal, so you know what works and what doesn't.

as for castor oil, i use the exact same castor oil you purchased. i apply a water based moisturizer (which provides the actual moisture for your hair) then i apply an oil to seal in the moisture from the water based product.

oil seals. it doesn't moisturize. it makes sure the moisture you have in and on the strand, stays and doesn't evaporate.

i rarely use two different oil prods at a time. my hair is fine and gets weighted down easily. but their are some ladies that do "stack" oils with success.

since you said your hair feels "dry and oily" at different times, my suggestion to you is to use a water based moisturizer like ORS Olive Oil Moisture Lotion (i don't use this prod. just giving it as an example) or some other product with water as the first ingredient. then put a little castor oil on after. see how that works for you.

also...stay away from products that have mineral oil in the first two or three ingredients. it can be drying and since your hair is already dry, it's probably best to avoid it.

Thank you! I've decided I'm going to be backing off of the whole oil overload........I'm just still trying to figure out what "works", and it can be confusing and frustrating. I feel like the castor oil has made a positive impact on my ends, so I think I will continue to apply it to my ends. I've recently started using Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Leave In, but I am admittedly not as impressed with it as I am with the deep conditioner. :perplexed:

I do have thick hair, but I think even I was going overload with my hair.....it definitely doesn't feel "natural" having my hair so oily.

Back