Can you wash relaxed hair too much?

levette

What are your thoughts on this. I have started co-washing more often and I wonder if I am drying out my hair. For example, this week I washed 2x with at-one shampoo and co-washed 1 with Vo5. I have become somewhat addicted to washing my hair more often and wonder if I should scale back. I mainly do this because I have a itchy scalp.

ajoyfuljoy

Does your shampoo have SLS in it? Maybe you should use non-SLS shampoo on your scalp. I know that makes my scalp itch and go crazy.

epiphany braids

Girl tell me about it!! I love co-washing me some hair, I am texlaxed and i have not experienced any problem co washing my hair 3x a week!! I say get u some great conditioners and leave in's and a great sealer and u will be A ok!! I do not believe in recommending products as whats good for the goose may not be good for the gander..feel me ;-)
but listen to your hair read how it reacts, thats the sure way to know if wat ur doing is the right thing to do!!!

HHG

*Muffin*

I, personally, I don't like co-washing. My hair doesn't retain moisture as well when I do. If I do a normal deep conditioning routine I can easily go 5 days without another wash. Once I co-wash I usually feel the urge to wash again after a day or two because my ends feel dry for some reason. I believe co-washing works for some, but not all.

Toy

I have been co-washing my hair twice a week for the last 3-4 years and i haven't had any problems.

exoticmommie

As long as it's sulfate free and moisturizing (elasta qp creme conditioner is what I use), you should be fine. I co-wash every 3-4 days. Depending on how I feel, sometimes 2-3.

Just make sure you listen to your hair, as someone already mentioned, what may be good for most is not good for all.

ETA: I actually shampoo 2x a week at the most.

Last edited:

augiemoment

co-washing and shampoo washing are two different things
if you co-was9with only conditioner 0 then you should be fine, but washing twice a week with shampoo even if it is sulphate free may be too much especially if you are relaxed.

LushLox

I personally can tolerate washing my hair with a SLS free shampoo twice a week. Albeit I've not done it for a while because I'm only washing once a week, but to shampoo any more than that might cause a problem. Maybe just shampoo once a week and then you can do co washes.

levette

I think it may also be due to the fact that I take Zumba classes between 1-2 times per which which makes my hair so sweaty and I always wash it afterwards- but I will try to just co-wash versus using shampoo.