Can you Relax and use Aphogee in the same day?

Monilove122

Hey Ladies,

A friend of mine asked me this question and honestly I don't know the answer. I am transitioning and not perming anymore and I use my aphogee in between braids and weaves. I was thinking that it may not be a good thing to do and I know several people have said you should use products with silk in it after perming to protect your hair but her shedding is out of control. Aphogee worked WONDERS for me and she wants to use it but needs a relaxer too.

Thanks,
Moni

No I don't think you can. The Aphogee bottle says not to relax before you give yourself that treatment. It would seem like it would burn the heck out of your scalp

I'm assuming your talking about the BIG protein treatment that makes your hair hard. If so, I have in the past and got great results (especially if self-perming and leaving it on longer than the recommended time). I've started using the Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor after rinsing the relaxer and before neutralizing so I've gotten away from using the BIG one on relax days. But either way, some sort of protein (silk, keratin, etc) on your relaxer day is beneficial since the relaxer breaks down most of the bonds and the protein helps to rebuild it.

It will burn if your relaxer has burned your scalp. My bottle actually recommends using during other chemical processes so I don't see why using during a relaxer would be different. I've never seen a bottle that said do not use after relaxing.

Is she shedding or experiencing breakage?
If shedding, when was the last time she had a trim? Some people experience seasonal shedding like our pets do (winter vs. summer coats), so it may just be her season to shed. Shedding is where one end of the hair that has come out has a little white bulb on it. A good hair vitamin may also help.

If its breakage (different lengths of hair coming out especially when combing), then she may want to try the Aphogee a week before she gets her perm. But she needs to do a wet-assessment to determine if she needs protein or maybe more moisture. Most times its moisture unless she has recently over conditioned. Check out the 'sticky' on hair breakage in the thread where the favorites are or do a search on SistaSlick. I learned to balance my protein-moisture and reduce my breakage from her. Hope this helps!

Also, make sure your friend is using a good comb. Bone combs are a good investment but watch out for the fakes.

Last edited:
I would use the one that gets hard under the dryer b/c it will burn your scalp. I recommend using it a week before or a week after the relaxer.

From what my stylist says, NO. You could possibly have severe burning. A week after would be okay.

My hair dresser gives me the DRC 28 protein treatment immediately after my relaxer i have no problems. I get it every 6-7 weeks. (APGHOGEE is the same just the DRC-28 is for professional use/licensed although I have some of my own) But no its great for your hair (its like being in the dessert and getting a glass of water to drink, tearing something down then building it right back up):D .

Last edited:
toyztoy said:
My hair dresser gives me the DRC 28 protein treatment immediately after my relaxer i have no problems. I get it every 6-7 weeks. (APGHOGEE is the same just the DRC-28 is for professional use/licensed although I have some of my own) But no its great for your hair (its like being in the dessert and getting a glass of water to drink, tearing something down then building it right back up):D .

I have had DRC before too after a relaxer. I think that drc and duo-tex which are both strong protien treatments are designed to be a better bet than aphogee after a relaxer.

It's probably ok but she is going to need a big deep moisturizing treatment afterwards because she might experience dryness. The balancing moisturizer that comes with the treatment is not good enough, she will need to use something else. I've used NTM DDC, NTM mask, and the ORS Replenishing pack before with good results. If she experiences any breakage after the relaxer/protein treatment, she should continue to use heavy moisturizing treatments until the breakage halts, then return to using reconstructors.

I wouldn't do it. I was hardheaded once and tried to do it and it burned the mess outta my scalp. I rinsed my head immediately.

nelli711 said:
I wouldn't do it. I was hardheaded once and tried to do it and it burned the mess outta my scalp. I rinsed my head immediately.

I agree. Aphogee is strong and could possibly really burn someone right after a relaxer. Waiting a week is really best to be on the safe side.

Last year, I emailed the Aphogee company about their treatment for damaged hair (the stinky, hardcore one). I was specificially asking them about "protein reversion." Here's part of the email they sent me:

Thanks for your e-mail. Good questions!
The pH of Aphogee Treatment is 3 The pH of the Keratin Reconstructor is 5
You shouldn't use the ApHogee Treatment within 24 hours of a relaxer, but not because of reversion, rather because they are at opposite ends of the pH scale.
ApHogee Treatment, with the heat applied, too close to a relaxer could result in irritation, depending on sensitivity and if the relaxer was applied "on the scalp". If the hair is questionable to relax...do the Treatment the week before to strengthen. if the relaxer is overprocessed...wait 24 hours to use the Treatment.

HTH. The product chemists there are very knowledgable and will answer anything you ask in a very timely manner. Very down-to-earth and patient people b/c I know I was asking them a boatload of non-frequently asked questions. :lachen:

Sistaslick said:
Last year, I emailed the Aphogee company about their treatment for damaged hair (the stinky, hardcore one). I was specificially asking them about "protein reversion." Here's part of the email they sent me:

HTH. The product chemists there are very knowledgable and will answer anything you ask in a very timely manner. Very down-to-earth and patient people b/c I know I was asking them a boatload of non-frequently asked questions. :lachen:

This is great info! I've been meaning to email the manufacturers of my staples to ask what the pH is of each product. You've scratched 2 off my list!

Ladies,

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I copy and pasted all of your responses and she has decided to wait a week after she relaxes to do the treatment. Someone offered up advice re: whether this is shedding or breakage and after speaking with her, I think it's a combination of both. Can that be possible? She says some of the hair has white bulbs on the end but someone of it is hair of different lengths.

What should she do?

Moni

Monilove122 said:
Ladies,

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I copy and pasted all of your responses and she has decided to wait a week after she relaxes to do the treatment. Someone offered up advice re: whether this is shedding or breakage and after speaking with her, I think it's a combination of both. Can that be possible? She says some of the hair has white bulbs on the end but someone of it is hair of different lengths.

What should she do?

Moni

Start with SistaSlick's Hair Breakage 101
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Back