Tell the truth did your product choice helped with your goals??

guesswho

I'm not talking about anything else but products stick to the topic at hand!

With that said the reason I ask this question is because some ladies use expensive products like aveda and keracare and the list goes on and on and some ladies wouldn't buy expensive products at all by choice and they swear by there's cheapies suave vo5 etc, so is the ladies that purchase expensive products just blowing there money because you use cheapies and it works? Or do these products really matter? What's your take on it, reminder we are not talking about learning to take care of your hair, I want to know how much do you believe in your products and the health of your hair! Lets chat ladies:)

Good question! I'm curious to hear from some Keracare chicas...

*pulls up lawn chair, takes a seat, sips on chamomile tea*

Yes. No matter why styling method I tried, I never noticed any positive improvments in strength, growth, texture, moisture..... until I started using higher quality products. All of my products are not super expensive but there is a noticable difference when I condition my hair with aubrey organics, aveda, or even most expensive drugstore stuff compared to vo5, suave, or more cheap cholesterols and rinses. I still use some cheapies but not as my main conditioners. When I use them, it is only in tandem with other stuff. I think the effects of quality hair products really shows in the long run. I also notice that when I use quality products, I can get away with less. I conditioned last night with aubrey organics island spice and I used less than 2 quater sized drops of it and my hair is buttery soft.

artemis_e. said:
Good question! I'm curious to hear from some Keracare chicas...

*pulls up lawn chair, takes a seat, sips on chamomile tea*

Can I have some tea please *reaches for the tea pot*

gymfreak336 said:
Yes. No matter why styling method I tried, I never noticed any positive improvments in strength, growth, texture, moisture..... until I started using higher quality products. All of my products are not super expensive but there is a noticable difference when I condition my hair with aubrey organics, aveda, or even most expensive drugstore stuff compared to vo5, suave, or more cheap cholesterols and rinses. I still use some cheapies but not as my main conditioners. When I use them, it is only in tandem with other stuff. I think the effects of quality hair products really shows in the long run. I also notice that when I use quality products, I can get away with less. I conditioned last night with aubrey organics island spice and I used less than 2 quater sized drops of it and my hair is buttery soft.

I agree with you and in my search for the perfect product which was aveda by the way I bought some garbage and boy was it garbage, I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for, good things aint cheap and cheap things aint good, don't care how they make those g's on them guess bags or those xo's on those xo bags it aint a LV:)

gymfreak336 said:
Can I have some tea please *reaches for the tea pot*

Girl, you sho' can!! :lol:
*passes Gym the sugar*

I agree w/you. I used Aussie back in the day and thought I'd hit the jackpot, then I did some research and moved to Paul Mitchell and thought I'd never look away from him; he was my baby's daddy :lol: But then he gave me allergies so I had to look elsewhere. And I found Joico! I don't spend a lot like some folks, but what I do get is that high-quality hotness. Joico attracts me by their philosophy and their knowledge...and my hair has never looked or felt this awesome. I personally think that the lower budget products just don't penetrate the shaft like the higher quality stuff just due to the fact of cost of materials and chemical manufacturing (and R & D too)...Now I do still use some cheaper products but when it comes to longevity and reaching hair goals, Joico is it! [for me]

My hair responds phenomenally to Keracare Detangling Poo, Dominican conditioners. The difference is like night and day when I stopped using cheap stuff. Ole saddity mane, it is. ;) That said, I'm EL CHEAPO so I buy it when I can get a coupon for it or someone has some for sale.

Last edited:
Yes the Suave Humectress ($6) keeps my hair well conditioned and insanely soft. The NTM Silk ($7) is the best product I have ever used to rehydrate my hair, plus it absorbs fast and is not greasy. Keraphix ($10) is the best product for a light protien strengthening treatment. Lekair Cholesterol ($5) is a protien but I swear to you it moisturizes and softens my hair. These are my four primary products.

Last edited:
The natural products, especially aloe & jojoba and camellia oil. I've been co-washing with Suave/White Rain/VO5 for 2+ years. I find the cheap conditioners work fine for cowashes, but I use JessiCurl conditioner as a leave-in.

All I can say is what I have been using for nearly a year now has made a world of difference in my hair's suppleness, strength, length, shine, growth and lack of breakage! I alternate between the expensive prepoos (Ojon Treatment) and the less expensive ones (EVOO, extra virgin coconut oil, almond oil). I switched to the expensive Phyto Relaxer and am considering alternating sometimes with something else...maybe. I also alternate between Ojon Conditioners AND NTM conditioners. I pay strict attention to ingredients.

I'm limiting my experimentation more now, because I feel I have found what works for me. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I have 4a/b natural hair and it has always been hell to detangle using cheaper products until I started using Aveda. My detangling process takes way less time by using these products, and my hair is shinier and stays moisturized longer. Yes, I'd have to say products do make a difference.

Well I think it all depends on quality not price of the products. I used to use inexpensive products all the time but they did nothing for my thick tresses, I blame those particular products/company not the cost of the product. I have used expensive products (NEXXUS) and they did nothing for me as well. For me it was about finding quality products regardless of price that worked in conjunction to my specific hair needs. Right now my hair loves the expensive products but there are still some "cheapies" (Elasta QP, Dominican products) that will remain part of the my rotation for years to come.

When my hair was breaking, I tried cheap stuff, mid price stuff, expensive stuff, and the ridiculiously expensive products; and nothing stopped my breakage until I started using Aveda damage remedy. I was not concerned about the cost of the products; I just wanted my breakage to stop. And Aveda was the one that did the job. I don't care if the product cost 1 dollar or 100 dollars as long as it helps me to keep my hair healthy and on my head I will pay the price. My hair has no monetary value; if my hair products cost 10 dollars a month or 300 dollars a month so be it, as long as it gets the job done.:)

Last edited:
It all depends on the specific product. When I found Nexxus Humectress in December, I thought I was in love. But since then Humectress has turned on me, while ORS paks and Motions Moisture Plus do me good each and every time.

Great question!

Here is my take on things. There are a ton of great cheap drugstore (or available) products. There are a ton of outstanding professional or salon quality products.

The problem is they are few and far between BECAUSE there are also a ton of crappy drugstore products and a ton of god awful straight rip off salon products. So, if you can identify the winners in either group, then it doesnt matter if you buy them at JCpenny or CVS. Stick with what works for you.

Standard manufacturing logic is that products that cost a lot (in addition to generating a profit) have to account for high quality inputs. For example, food at an expensive restaurant is expensive because of the quality of the ingredients (like organic grass-fed Harvard educated Beef) they are using, expertise of chef, etc. High priced shoes suggest better stitching, top grade leather, etc.

So a lot of women assume that expensive products are using superior ingredients and drugstrore brands are using lesser ingredients and cheap fillers. The problem is that most consumers have no way to evaluate the "grade" of ingredients in products. So, for example, lets say your hair likes olive oil. Fredrick Frekkai can launch a new line of olive oil products and we really have no idea if he is using this super high quality olive oil or the same exact olive oil as ORS. So, with products, it really is a hit or miss becuase we really aren't privy to the information we need to make the right decisions.

For me, Im not a big ingredient person, I focus on capability. I rollerset weekly and its a lot of manipulation so I need superior conditioning and detangling products. I could care less where they came from-they just need to get that job done.

I have used both. My hair just likes the cheaper products. On top of that I dont "style" my hair, so right now they are effective. I think once it get longer and I start maniuplating it more, then I might need to adjust the quality of products.

guesswho said:
I'm not talking about anything else but products stick to the topic at hand!

With that said the reason I ask this question is because some ladies use expensive products like aveda and keracare and the list goes on and on and some ladies wouldn't buy expensive products at all by choice and they swear by there's cheapies suave vo5 etc, so is the ladies that purchase expensive products just blowing there money because you use cheapies and it works? Or do these products really matter? What's your take on it, reminder we are not talking about learning to take care of your hair, I want to know how much do you believe in your products and the health of your hair! Lets chat ladies:)

I use a mixture of expensive products and cheapies. When I first started taking care of my hair I bought the expensive things but now I mix it up. I honestly think it does not matter whether your products are expensive or cheap. I honestly think what really matters is the ingredients in the products. For instance I have some nexxus conditioner and I have some Suave Professional line humectant conditioner. I read the ingredients on each one and they are practically the same AND they smell the same. They work about the same too.

So now I reach for my Suave humectant instead of my nexxus. For me and I'm not talking about anyone else, I have come to realize that I don't have to use the most expensive products and get this--> I don't have to have a closet full of stuff either to grow my hair. If, you look in my fotki, you'll see all of the products that I have. Ask me how much of that stuff do I really use:confused: It's just a waste of my money. Out of all my products, I use maybe 3 different shampoos, 3 deep conditioners, 4 protein treatments, and although I have a gang of conditioners for co washes. I only use the Suave humectant. I have chilled on taking all those vitamins too. It's not that serious! I was taking about 12 vitamins daily and when someone posted a thread talking about this pill makes you gain weight, that pill makes you gain weight. I was like WHAT!! and I was trying to LOSE weight. Once I stopped taking EPO, Flaxseed Oil,etc. The weight came right off!

Last edited:
macherieamour said:
Great question!

Here is my take on things. There are a ton of great cheap drugstore (or available) products. There are a ton of outstanding professional or salon quality products.

The problem is they are few and far between BECAUSE there are also a ton of crappy drugstore products and a ton of god awful straight rip off salon products. So, if you can identify the winners in either group, then it doesnt matter if you buy them at JCpenny or CVS. Stick with what works for you.

Standard manufacturing logic is that products that cost a lot (in addition to generating a profit) have to account for high quality inputs. For example, food at an expensive restaurant is expensive because of the quality of the ingredients (like organic grass-fed Harvard educated Beef) they are using, expertise of chef, etc. High priced shoes suggest better stitching, top grade leather, etc.

So a lot of women assume that expensive products are using superior ingredients and drugstrore brands are using lesser ingredients and cheap fillers. The problem is that most consumers have no way to evaluate the "grade" of ingredients in products. So, for example, lets say your hair likes olive oil. Fredrick Frekkai can launch a new line of olive oil products and we really have no idea if he is using this super high quality olive oil or the same exact olive oil as ORS. So, with products, it really is a hit or miss becuase we really aren't privy to the information we need to make the right decisions.

For me, Im not a big ingredient person, I focus on capability. I rollerset weekly and its a lot of manipulation so I need superior conditioning and detangling products. I could care less where they came from-they just need to get that job done.

I posted before I read your post, I agree with EVERYTHING you said/typed;)

I think expensive products are a waste of money.

I used to think they were the end-all-be-able because I WANTED to believe that to justify the amount I was spending.

But now that I settled on cheapies (CON shampoo motions conditioner, etc) my hair is in the SAME condition. I stopped fooling myself and making myself broke and kept it real with myself. It's just not worth it for me. I am not about to go broke over some hair with no money in the bank.

As Macherie says "the products don't make the hair." And it doesn't.

macherieamour said:
Great question!

Excellent post!

If I could use hair grease and 1.00 shampoo/conditioner and a 5.00 box relaxer and my hair thrived I would!! (no shame to my game)

Unfortunately my hair is like no no no, I want the good stuff. So I pay a little for what gives me the best results. If I can find it on sale, then ok all good for me, but most times I don't.

To me its not about the name, but what result I get from the product.

60 bucks for a relaxer is steep, but as long as it works on my hair and I don't go natural, I'll be paying it.
Being that I'm the one taking care of my hair, not a stylist, it works out fine costwise.

-A

I believe in quality, but that doesn't necessarily mean expensive. When I first started my journey, I bought everything Nexxus, and for a college student on a budget, that ain't cheap. Now, the only thing I consider a staple is Keraphix. All the shampoos ruined my hair and I've found cheaper alternatives to the conditioners.

So to answer the question, yes I think that my choice of cheaper products has helped my hair.

macherieamour said:
For example, food at an expensive restaurant is expensive because of the quality of the ingredients (like organic grass-fed Harvard educated Beef) they are using, expertise of chef, etc.
:eek: :lachen:

On a per ounce basis my staple products are expensive as all hell, but the combination is a winner.

I cannot effectively detangle my hair without Biolage Ultra Hydrating shampoo ($18.99 if caught on sale for 33 fl oz- lasts 8-10 months).

The only product that I have found that keeps my hair moisturized for longer than it takes to airdry is Aveda Be Curly ($18.50 for 6.7 fl oz -lasts 2-3 months)

Fantasia IC sparkelites gel for color treated hair is hands down the best curl definer/provider of hold on the market and it's $2.99 for 16 oz.

I'm not one to chase expensive brands, but if something works on my hair then I'll spend the money.

To me it don't really matter, But alot of women can't afford to go out and buy these expensive products, I use everything Cheap and have in my 2 years of being Natural I have never had a Problem with Growth,Shedding or Breakage, I take very good care of my hair, I use what works for my hair and my Budget, I don't need a $100 bottle of some product to give me great looking healthy hair, I take care of myself on the inside as well as the Out.

Yes some of you Swear by the more Expensive Brands and that is all good, & Yeah some of you feel like you get what you pay for and that may be True in SOME INSTANCES! But if you can find a Good Cheap Product that works and give you what you need then I don't see a Problem. Expensive don't mean better to me. But hey, if you can afford it and it works for you then go ahead, But I have bought Biolage Daily Leave In Tonic for $14.99 and that was expensive to me LOL!!! But it did work and last a long time and I Loved it and I am gonna buy it again ONLY because it works good for my hair.

I agree with gymfreak. Most cheap products don't like my hair and I've tried almost all of them. I just don't get the same results. I do love to get cheapies that work like mane n tail.

I love everything keracare. The Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo is the only shampoo I've used for over a year now. I think it has helped with my goals, because I experience less breakage with shampooing. Plus you can get this shampoo for a little as $7 in some places (although I've seen it for as much as $14). However, some expensive brands I've tried such as Paul Mitchell, Nexxus, and Aveda are good, but they aren't good enough for me to keep spending money on them so I use cheaper products like profectiv and motions. I find that mane n tails detangling spray is the best I've ever used.

Last edited:
I think this varies from head to head. My hair responds better to salon quality products. I tried using cheapies for a while, and in addition to dealing with breakage, my hair's appearance declined quickly.

NTM is probably the only drugstore line that doesn't wreak havoc on my hair, and I've never even used it consistently. I don't mind using cheapie cons for prepoos, but for shampooing and DCing, my hair needs the better lines. So, I don't consider it a waste of money because there is a significant difference for my hair.

I think its just a matter of what works for your hair. I dont necessarily believe that a product is better becuz it costs more..... I think alot of stuff is the 'name' (same w/ clothes, shoes, makeup, etc). It takes trial and error to find what works for your hair, be it an EXPENSIVE trial or a CHEAP one. Just depends on what your budget can take.

For me, the only expensive product that Ive liked so far has been the Aveda DR, and even that I wasnt 100% about (like 99.99% :look: :lol: ). Everything is basically BSS bought and I think Im doing okay.

artemis_e. said:
Girl, you sho' can!! :lol:
*passes Gym the sugar*

*do we have any milk?*

I've tried cheapies. My problem wasn't with the cost of the product but the ingredients used. It's hard to find cheapies that don't have cones listed as the second ingredient (my hair hates cones) and really hard to find ones with natural ingredients, and you're not finding ones w/ no parabens. :nono:

Back