Can we have a discussion on the Significance of Passover in Christianity?

PinkPebbles

For the past few weeks Pastor T.D. Jakes and Paula White has been talking about the significance of Passover in the Christian religion. I always looked at Passover as a Jewish holiday but I recently learned that it has underlying spiritual meaning in the Christian faith.

From my understanding, the angel of death was going to smite the first born in the land of Egypt both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt so that the God of the Israelites can execute judgment and show that He is Lord. (Exodus 12:12).

The Israelites were asked to roast a lamb and take the lamb's blood and post it agaisnt their house door post, so that the angel of death can passover their household.

This is significant to Christians because the blood of the lamb represents what Jesus did on the cross. He was blameless, without any sin or spot. It's the same way God told the Israelites to get a lamb without a blemish....Exodus 12:5 - "Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year; you shall take it from the sheep or the goats." Exodus 12:13 - "The blood shall be for a token, a sign to you upon the door posts of the houses where you are. When I see the blood, I will pass over you and no plague shall be upon you to destroy you when I smite the land of Egypt. You shall keep it as a feast to the Lord throughout your generations, keep it as an ordinance forever."

As a result of my understanding, when I pray and declare that I'm covered with the blood of Jesus, it's like God is protecting me and allowing things to pass over me like He did for the Israelites.

My question to you ladies - have your Pastor talked about the significance of Passover? What have you learned from it?

BeautifulFlower

Is this the same as Communion?

I neglected it for years but I am recently making sure I go to church at night (when its served) and participate in this lengthy process. Its served on the 4th Sunday of every month.

Many people asked my pastor, why does he not do it at the other services during the day. His responses was this process it too precious to be rushed and participating in it requires a right heart and mind. Many unbelievers attend the 8am, 10am, and 12p services and them participating in this will eat and drink judgement unto themselves. If you are consciously taking the time out of your Sunday evening to participate, it is expected that you know why you are participating. Of course he talks about all of this before we get started.

1 Corinthians 11: 17 - 33

Conduct at the Lord’s Supper

17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. 19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you. 20 Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper. 21 For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

Institution of the Lord’s Supper

23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken[c] for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

Examine Yourself

27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood[d] of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner[e] eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s[f] body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.
33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

Last edited:

Ms.Honey

The passover was a sign of things to come, of how the Father intended to sacrifice His only begotten Son Jesus for the remission of our sins.

Jesus represents the ram in the bush that was sacrificed in the place of Isaac and Aarons scapegoat. The passover's spreading of the blood over the mantle was a precursor to Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and His spreading of His blood over the mantle of our hearts. His blood covers us as death approaches and takes away it's sting and victory.

There are other Passover similarities between the OT passover and Jesus' passover.

PinkPebbles

Thanks ladies for your responses!

What intrigued me is the Jewish Passover that is in Exodus 12 that is celebrated on April 8th. (I hope that I didn't get the date wrong).

What God did for the Israelites in Exodus ( the sacrificial lamb), I realized that He did the same thing on the Cross with Jesus.

msa

At my church we don't celebrate "Easter"...but we do have passover service and a resurrection service. Then again, we also use the Hebrew names (Yeshua instead of Jesus, etc.) and Hebrew studies.

PinkPebbles

At my church we don't celebrate "Easter"...but we do have passover service and a resurrection service. Then again, we also use the Hebrew names (Yeshua instead of Jesus, etc.) and Hebrew studies.

MSA - If you don't mind me asking, what is your denomination?

msa

MSA - If you don't mind me asking, what is your denomination?

We're actually nondenominational. My church is bible based and my Pastor believes that you can't truly understand the bible unless you look at the Hebrew and Greek versions because the meanings are so different. Since we're committed to study, our services are like school lol...everyone has out their bibles, and Strong's, Hebrew translations, etc. And we also have Hebrew classes every week and the 1st Sunday of the month. The kids are also taught Hebrew in Sunday School.

PinkPebbles

We're actually nondenominational. My church is bible based and my Pastor believes that you can't truly understand the bible unless you look at the Hebrew and Greek versions because the meanings are so different. Since we're committed to study, our services are like school lol...everyone has out their bibles, and Strong's, Hebrew translations, etc. And we also have Hebrew classes every week and the 1st Sunday of the month. The kids are also taught Hebrew in Sunday School.

Thanks for your response. Also, you said that you don't celebrate "Easter" but isn't Easter the celebration of the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ? Or is it that you prefer to call it "Resurrection Service?"

msa

Thanks for your response. Also, you said that you don't celebrate "Easter" but isn't Easter the celebration of the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ? Or is it that you prefer to call it "Resurrection Service?"

Well we don't celebrate Easter because that's a made up holiday. We have Passover service (during the week, whenever the first day of Passover is), and then we have Resurrection service that Sunday. Sometimes that falls on "Easter" and sometimes it doesn't, so that's why I said we don't celebrate "Easter". This is the first time I'll be home for it in like 5 years so I'll try to remind myself to come back and talk more about it after it happens.

PinkPebbles

Well we don't celebrate Easter because that's a made up holiday. We have Passover service (during the week, whenever the first day of Passover is), and then we have Resurrection service that Sunday. Sometimes that falls on "Easter" and sometimes it doesn't, so that's why I said we don't celebrate "Easter". This is the first time I'll be home for it in like 5 years so I'll try to remind myself to come back and talk more about it after it happens.

Ok, I understand now. Thanks for sharing.

PinkPebbles

MSA post made me dig deeper and I came across a couple of online articles. I had no idea about the origins of "Easter" :nono:.

I copied and paste below yahooanswers because it was well written.( Didn't want to paraphrase and mess it up.)

Christ was of the tribe of Judah and Levi, hence king and high priest.

EASTER A BRIEF HISTORY

The name “Easter” comes to America from Ostera or Eostre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. The origin goes back to 2000 BC in Babylonia honoring the goddess of spring Ishtar. Ishtar the mother/wife of their god Tammuz brought him back from the underworld. In Phoenecia she became Astarte, in Greece Eostre, and in Germany Ostara. Consider also a Phrygian honoring Attis and Cybele or a heretic Israelite honoring the Canaanite Baal and Ashtoreth. All of these are fertility celebrations of death and resurrection.

EASTER IN THE KING JAMES

The word “Easter” occurs in the King James Bible ONE TIME and is mistranslated. It should be translated PASSOVER.

Acts 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Easter G3957 pascha (pas'-khah) Of Chaldee origin (compare [H6453]); the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival or the special sacrifices connected with it): - Easter, Passover.

H6453 pesach (peh'-sakh) From H6452; a pretermission, that is, exemption; used only technically of the Jewish Passover (the festival or the victim): - passover (offering).

H6452 pasach (paw-sakh') A primitive root; to hop, that is, (figuratively) skip over (or spare); by implication to hesitate; also (literally) to limp, to dance: - halt, become lame, leap, pass over.

THE ORIGINAL PASSOVER A SHADOW

Exo.12:23 For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when He seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you. Exo.12:24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever. Exo.12:25 And it shall come to pass, when ye be come to the land which the LORD will give you, according as He hath promised, that ye shall keep this service. Exo.12:26 And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service? Exo.12:27 That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD'S Passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when He smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

What did it say in Exo.12:26? What mean ye by this service?

What did it say in Exo.12:27? It is the SACRIFICE of the LORD'S Passover.

This was a shadow, that is a silhouette or likeness, of Christ’s crucifixion. Israel was in bondage to the Egyptians. We were in bondage to sin.

CHRIST OUR PASSOVER

I Cor.5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? I Cor.5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: I Cor.5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Christ our Passover is SACRIFICED for us.

As with most Christian holidays, Easter has been secularized and commercialized. We have Easter bunnies, eggs, baskets, bonnets, parades and etc.

Knowing now the origins of Easter, the fallacy of Easter and the sacrifice Christ made for us; I am truly ashamed of myself. We should not be celebrating Easter. We should be celebrating Christ our Passover with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Almaz

It was a Pesach period nothing really different

The passover was a sign of things to come, of how the Father intended to sacrifice His only begotten Son Jesus for the remission of our sins.

Jesus represents the ram in the bush that was sacrificed in the place of Isaac and Aarons scapegoat. The passover's spreading of the blood over the mantle was a precursor to Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and His spreading of His blood over the mantle of our hearts. His blood covers us as death approaches and takes away it's sting and victory.

There are other Passover similarities between the OT passover and Jesus' passover.

Ms.Honey

I haven't studied it out yet but I've always considered this to be the FIRST passover. God sacrificing the animals (sacrificial lambs) in place of Adam and Eve because of their sins and clothing them in the skins (clothing them in His righteousness) He made for them.

Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

For christians, it was a sign of things to come : the sacrifice of JESUS-CHRIST for the remission of our sins.

As far as Jesus celebrating in some different way, no, it wasn't. It was Jewish, same old Pesach, Passover. Jesus was an obedient Jew. For meanings, yes, christians or that different sect of judaism as it was back in that day, would have seen a new meaning in it.

Crown

As far as Jesus celebrating in some different way, no, it wasn't. It was Jewish, same old Pesach, Passover. Jesus was an obedient Jew. For meanings, yes, christians or that different sect of judaism as it was back in that day, would have seen a new meaning in it.

I can only speak as a christian! And Yes it was a sign about JESUS-CHRIST.

divya

I believe that Passover deserves deep and extensive study, as does entire ceremonial law/sacrificial system within the Scriptures. It is significant in pointing towards the Messiah. I have yet to study in depth but plan to start soon.

1 Corinthians 5:7-8 - Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Praises be to Jesus Christ, our Paschal Lamb. The New Testament refers to Him as the Lamb over 30 times. Passover was fulfilled when Christ gave His life for us. The Lord's Supper is a new covenant ordinance. It looks to the past (Matthew 26:26-28) and to the future.(Matthew 26:29).

PinkPebbles

GV - I'm going to put what you are saying and what we meant by the remission of sins. Hopefully, this will make sense. You are correct by saying Jesus was celebrating the Jewish passover but it's a twofold outline in Matthews 26:17-32

Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto Him, where do You wish us to prepare for You to eat the Passover supper? He said, go into the city to a certain man and say to him, the Master says: My time is near; I will keep the Passover at your house with My disciples. The disciples did as Jesus had directed them and they made ready the Passover supper (Jewish tradition). And as they were eating, He said, solemnly I say to you, one of you will betray Me. They were exceedingly pained and distressed and deeply hurt and sorrowful and began to say to Him one after another, surely it cannot be I, Lord, can it? He replied, he who has just dipped his hand in the same dish with Me will betray Me. The Son of Man is going just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would have been better for that man if he had never been born. Judas, the betrayer said, surely it is not I, is it Master? He said to him, you have stated the fact.

Now as they were eating, Jesus took the bread and praising God, gave thanks and asked Him to bless it to their use, and when He had broken it, He gave it to the disciples and said, Take, eat; this is My body. And He took a cup and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them saying, drink of it, all of you; For this is My blood of the new testament (covenant), which is being poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.(remission of sins) {Exod. 24:6-8} But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

PinkPebbles

I believe that Passover deserves deep and extensive study, as does entire ceremonial law/sacrificial system within the Scriptures. It is significant in pointing towards the Messiah. I have yet to study in depth but plan to start soon.

1 Corinthians 5:7-8 - Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Praises be to Jesus Christ, our Paschal Lamb. The New Testament refers to Him as the Lamb over 30 times. Passover was fulfilled when Christ gave His life for us. The Lord's Supper is a new covenant ordinance. It looks to the past (Matthew 26:26-28) and to the future.(Matthew 26:29).

Thanks Divya- I was typing Matthew 26 the same time you posted!

PinkPebbles

Yes, thank you for expounding! Those passages are so beautiful...

Thanks, the Holy Spirit led me to Matthews. I asked the Lord for clarification of what GV was stating. And Matthews helped me to understand more in depth now about the Passover!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Did I say any different? Some have asked what the difference in the Last Supper was. It was Pesach, a Jewish mandate. Jesus, a Jews, lent new meanings toward it. That's all. I didn't contradict you.:look: I was expounding from Almaz.

I wonder how many have looked at an Haggadah? You can find them online and study comparison. It'll give you an idea how Pesach is put together.

http://judaism.about.com/b/2008/03/30/online-family-haggadah.htm
http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1735/jewish/The-Haggadah.htm

It's kind long but this is the service of the Pesach. This is just to give a meaning of Pesach that you are not quite finding in the New Testament. It was written to Jews, people would have known about Passover. So, for those who don't know, it's good to look at the original texts...you'll find many great surprises.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not trying to lead anyone anywhere else. If I wish to know something, I go to the source and study it. Theologians do it all the time.:yep:

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Thank you. When I think about the cost Jesus endured for us....how he died on the cross:nono:...I can weep because it was such a dear price. He agonized in Gethsemane....

Matthews 26:37-38 And Jesus took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. Then he said unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death. Stay here and keep awake and keep watch with Me.

Matthews 26:39 And He went a little farther and fell on his face, prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Matthews 26:42 He went away again the second time and prayed saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

Matthews 26:55 In the same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, have you come out with swords and staves as you would against a robber to capture Me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and you laid no hold on me. But all this was done that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him and fled.

PinkPebbles

Oh Cool do you celebrate Pesach also? How do you get ready?

I (my church) celebrate the Passover that's in the New Testament the one I explained in Matthews:grin:! It's also known to be "communion" as well on first sundays of the month at my church.

However, it was a pleasure talking about the roots of the Passover....

Well, I'm about to log off now...enjoy the rest of your weekend!