Can plaits = thin hair

SimplyBlessed

I use to constantly get sew ins and the constant tight braids made my hair very very thin. Now that I'm taking care of my hair (thanks 2 u ladies here) and not getting sew ins, I always have my hair in 2 or 4 plaits under my wigs or half wigs (yea I've been wiggin it :grin:) and I always make sure they are not tight

My hair is still very thin, but it seems to not be getting thicker even though I've started to use castor oil, although I do see growth I do not see thickness....

So I was wondering can plaits be hurting my hair and my journey to thicker hair??

Last edited:

beans4reezy

I keep my hair braided and if anything, it adds to the thickness because I am not manipulating as much.

Have you tried treatments like Henna? These tx's can help thicken your strands. Do you cowash?

Also conduct a search, I think there is a LHCF challenge that focuses on thickening your hair.

Nonie

I don't think so, unless you're pulling your hair tight when you braid.

It's hard to say why your hair never returned to the pre-weave fullness. Do you think you might've experienced follicular damage? Do you have any bald spots? Are your hair strands fine?

It could also be that you forgot how your hair used to be coz you are always wearing fake hair and it's usually fuller so that when you're not it feels thin.

SimplyBlessed

Yea I think I might have follicular damage, my edges are in a mess!! but i'm working on those & I think I did experience traction alopecia so I've been using the EO blend that is recommended for that...I just did not want to add to the damage...so thats why I was wondering about the plaits...

I have been trying to cowash 1-2 a week....is this bad for thin hair??

Henna is really looking like something I will try...what are some good mixes??

Shadiyah

If I am not mistaking you said you were plaiting your hair right? Which different then braiding but some people are not use to this term being different, it depends on where you are from.

I don't think the plaits are hurting your hair but do you still perm your hair or are you perming your hair? Usually if you let the new growth grow in and plaiting only the new growth will be the part that will be thick.

SimplyBlessed

If I am not mistaking you said you were plaiting your hair right? Which different then braiding but some people are not use to this term being different, it depends on where you are from.

I don't think the plaits are hurting your hair but do you still perm your hair or are you perming your hair? Usually if you let the new growth grow in and plaiting only the new growth will be the part that will be thick.

I'm natural sorry for not saying that :ohwell:....

yea plaits lol I'm from the south so here there is def a difference between plaits and braids....I usually wear 4 like Celie from color purple lol :look:

plaits in the south....

(don't know the girl but she had pretty hair)

briads in the south....

Nonie

On the contrary, braiding means the same thing as plaiting. It's just that one word may be used more commonly in one place than the other but they are not different at all. Also, Plaits = Braids. People just seem to use the word "braids" when talking about plaits with extensions and that habit gets people thinking they are different, but that isn't the case. Plaits without extensions are still braids. :yep:

plait http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=60435&ph=off
verb [I or T] (US USUALLY braid)

to join three or more lengths of hair or string-like material by putting them over each other in a special pattern:
She plaited the horse's tail.
a plaited leather bracelet/belt
plait http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=60435&ph=off
noun [C] (US USUALLY braid)

a length of hair or other material which is divided into three parts which are then crossed over each other in a special pattern:
She usually wears her hair in a plait/in two plaits.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=60435&ph=on

And here's another definition:
Quick definitions (plait)
▸ noun: a hairdo formed by braiding or twisting the hair
▸ verb: weave into plaits ("Plait hair")
▸ verb: make by braiding or interlacing

Last edited:
It depends on a number of thing such as
1. how often the hair was braided/sew-in
2. if the person switched hair braiding direction (horizontal sew-ins then vertical etc.)
3. and if the person took a break from braids/sew-in

As for Me, I did the same as the O.P. Although braids/sew-in help my hair grow, I noticed my hair volume was slightly on the thin side (because of the braids and manipulation). So I stop braiding my hair (too time consuming plus my hair was getting too long= potential tangles). LONG STORY SHORT , 4-6 plaits made my hair free and thick- Very VERY Thick:yep:. Keep plaiting your hair, and in time I hope you will have thicker hair.

Shadiyah

On the contrary, braiding means the same thing as plaiting. It's just that one word may be used more commonly in one place than the other but they are not different at all. Also, Plaits = Braids. People just seem to use the word "braids" when talking about plaits with extensions and that habit gets people thinking they are different, but that isn't the case. Plaits without extensions are still braids. :yep:

[/indent]http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=60435&ph=on

And here's another definition:

What I meant is, depending on where you grew up at in the USA or overseas. Plaits and Braids mean 2 different things to girls and their mothers. I am older and my great grand mother was from the south and when you talk about plaiting in our house you are talking about indiviual braids = 1 plait or more over your head or plait your ponytail. but if you are talking about braiding in my house, you were talking about cornrowing your hair connecting down your head.
I was not talking about what the definition as in the dictionary. But those who got it knew what I was talking about. Oh and I am from the north east.

Nonie

What I meant is, depending on where you grew up at in the USA or overseas. Plaits and Braids mean 2 different things to girls and their mothers. I am older and my great grand mother was from the south and when you talk about plaiting in our house you are talking about indiviual braids = 1 plait or more over your head or plait your ponytail. but if you are talking about braiding in my house, you were talking about cornrowing your hair connecting down your head.
I was not talking about what the definition as in the dictionary. But those who got it knew what I was talking about. Oh and I am from the north east.

I'm from Kenya and we used "plait" when I was growing up for singles and cornrows. Heck even wrapping your hair with thread was called "plaiting with thread". :giggle: Then when I was older started to hear the word braids used for extensions (maybe I was in the UK then :scratchch ) and for a while I only called my hair "braided" when I had extensions. Then when I visited the US "braids" became the more common word I heard but not just to extensions. So even for me it was a learning process. Anyway, I think I got to the point where I just can't apply the words to one particular way of weaving hair. As long as hair was crossed over to make a rope pattern whether lying flat against one's head or swinging, it is braided or plaited.

But it's interesting to learn the different ways the words are understood by different folks.

Shadiyah

I'm from Kenya and we used "plait" when I was growing up for singles and cornrows. Heck even wrapping your hair with thread was called "plaiting with thread". :giggle: Then when I was older started to hear the word braids used for extensions (maybe I was in the UK then :scratchch ) and for a while I only called my hair "braided" when I had extensions. Then when I visited the US "braids" became the more common word I heard but not just to extensions. So even for me it was a learning process. Anyway, I think I got to the point where I just can't apply the words to one particular way of weaving hair. As long as hair was crossed over to make a rope pattern whether lying flat against one's head or swinging, it is braided or plaited.

But it's interesting to learn the different ways the words are understood by different folks.

Yup!! Like Purse & Pocketbook