How long does it take to recover from excess shedding?

Austro-Afrikana

I have been on a high protein diet for the past couple of months. Last month I though my hair was feeling extra thin but I just brushed it off as my hair always being that thin. Well yesterday I was putting my hair into plaits for a braidout and the plaits look so thin! Like they were never like that!

I always thought that high protein would mean faster growth not hair loss! I'm pretty annoyed and upset and I'm going to stop with the protein supplements now but, how long will it take for my hair to get back to normal thickness?

Anyone who has experienced post partum shedding or any excess shedding how long did it take?

melissa-bee

I don't think you should worry too much.
Have you ever heard of seasonal shedding?
I'm not sure how true it is, but it could be that.

blessedandlucky

Bumping. Not to high jack, but I'm having the same problem. It's excessive in that every single time I comb my hair lots of hair, more than usual shedding comes out. It is finally taking a toll I attributed it to seasonal shedding but now I'm alarmed.

Op, did yours stop? How are you managing it now??

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

nappytherapy

My edges are just coming back from loss after I had my son and he is now 16 months. I started taking kelp, use castor, DC every week, and recently started putting egg in my conditioner. I had to be patient because it was traumatic to see the shedding but through it all I was able to reach my BSL goal, but still caring for my hair.

HTH

Austro-Afrikana

Bumping. Not to high jack, but I'm having the same problem. It's excessive in that every single time I comb my hair lots of hair, more than usual shedding comes out. It is finally taking a toll I attributed it to seasonal shedding but now I'm alarmed.

Op, did yours stop? How are you managing it now??

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I've only just "discovered" it today really so from today I'm going to stop with the protein shakes and bars. I'm just going to eat normally like I used to and take some hair vitamins and hope for the best.

leiah

My son is 6 months old and I think my shedding has finally stopped within the last month or so. The changes I made were going from absolutely no protein in my hair to using it once or twice a week, and always wearing it in a bun. After maybe 6 weeks of this consistently, I see less shedding than usual. I have always had very heavy shedding

But it's also possible that I was only going to shed for those few months and what i'm doing had no effect on it. I thought my hair was unusually thin too, but now it seems thicker maybe because i'm not so paranoid about the shedding any more

Losing weight, no matter how gradually or healthily, always affects my hair and I think my postpartum shedding had a lot to do with the huge amount of weight I lost (60 lbs in about 4 months!). If you are on a high protein diet and choosing protein over other nutrients (carbs) with the goal of losing weight, it will absolutely affect your hair. Protein is good for you and your hair, but a balanced diet is important.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Or have you tried garlic conditioners like Nutrine or Alter Ego? Lots of users on LHCF found those helpful.

Eating for healthy hair is a good LONG TERM strategy, so I wouldn't just stop because you haven't seen short term results.

Tiye

Thanks. Dumb question though...what is black tea? I only have herbal teas in my house.

Regular tea from the tea bush. Go to the tea and coffee aisle in your supermarket and you can't miss it. If you're in britain then just look for the stuff they claim the queen drinks.

twatombl

For the ladies that are experiencing shedding, what do you consider an alarming amount? I thought I was shedding heavily as well until I showed a friend that works as a natural hair stylist and she told me the amount I was shedding was a little more than normal but nothing to be alarmed over. She also mentioned tea to combat shedding, I hadn't heard of black tea and will be trying this to see if this will work.

blessedandlucky

For the ladies that are experiencing shedding, what do you consider an alarming amount? I thought I was shedding heavily as well until I showed a friend that works as a natural hair stylist and she told me the amount I was shedding was a little more than normal but nothing to be alarmed over. She also mentioned tea to combat shedding, I hadn't heard of black tea and will be trying this to see if this will work.

I pay close attention to my hair and the shedding that I am experiencing now is beyond the regular shedding. I've tried alter ego (worked briefly) and upped my protein treatments, clarified, deep conditioned...i don't know what I haven't done. I'm hoping it will subside. I thought it was seasonal, but this has been happening since the late fall/early winter and increased this year..bunning it up for now and minimizing manipulation..