Can I retouch hair 3 weeks after permanent color?

pink gator

I'm six weeks post with an underprocessed Phyto II, and I wanted a nice lighter color before I go to St. Tropez (hopefully) next month to match my "future" tan.:grin:

I bought a box of Clairol Textures & Tones Light Golden Brown last night and I'm toying with it because I'm scared. I read some posts that it's better to color a relaxer but not relax a color.

Can I safely color today and get the corrective relaxer retouch in three weeks?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TexturedTresses

I think the rule is generally perm then color. You don't want to perm over the color. It would be best if you relaxed then waited about three weeks to color. Thats the way I've done it in the past. Hopefully, someone else can come along with other ideas. Good Luck.

Platinum

I think the rule is generally perm then color. You don't want to perm over the color. It would be best if you relaxed then waited about three weeks to color. Thats the way I've done it in the past. Hopefully, someone else can come along with other ideas. Good Luck.

ITA! It's best to relax then color. After relaxing, you should deep condition to keep it strong and healthy, I would wait atleast two to three weeks before coloring. Also, a relaxer can strip a permanent color.:perplexed That's why it's always good to relax then color instead of color then relax. Hope this helps.

diamondlady

You relax and then you color as the relaxer can take the color right off your hair when you do two chemical processes in a close time frame. Personally, I will never use two chemical processes on my hair again. But that's me.
Good Luck.

pink gator

ITA! It's best to relax then color. After relaxing, you should deep condition to keep it strong and healthy, I would wait atleast two to three weeks before coloring. Also, a relaxer can strip a permanent color.:perplexed That's why it's always good to relax then color instead of color then relax. Hope this helps.

Ohhhhh... "I see!" said the Blind Man! Got it!

Relaxers strip color! Whoa! I don't want that!

Well, I guess I'll be going with my natural #2 color hair on vacay with a fresh relaxer! Who knows, the sun might lighten it! (Note to pack NTM Silk Touch since it has UV protectant in it...)

pink gator

Squashing the notion...

I returned--well, exchanged--the color today (for a cute pair of little blingy earrings cuz most Asian BSS's won't accept returns) because it looks like it will be October at the earliest when I'll actually be able to color...and since I'm heading into a totally natural-product regimen, I might as well go to the Aveda School by my house and get it done for $25 for the peace of mind I'll have.

In the meantime, I'll still be nursing my hair back to health (did I tell y'all that I already had breakage via neglecting my cornrows under my sew-ins? Dayum, what was I thinking?!)

Thanks for the responses.

I'll post pics when I finally color.

Last edited: