Can having a TWA out in the cold actually break your hair?

Chioniso

I get the protective styling thing but my hair is only a couple of centimetres long (twa). If I go out with it just like that will it get damaged from the cold weather or should I keep it under a lace front wig as I have been doing up till now?

Hair can get damaged by the cold at any length. You don't have to wear a wig but cover up with something if you can!

If you like keep it under the wig. If you want to show your fro put a moisturizing oil or butter in your hands, emulsify and scrunch in your fro to protect it from the cold. So in other words as long as you moisturize and seal you should be good. For example I'd spray some rosewater and rub a little evoo in my hands and gentle pat or scrunch on my hair if it's really cold I'd add a tiny dab of a butter I like for example mango cocoa shea aloe etc.
Some people stay away from coconut oil and glycerin because in some cold places it can make your hair break.
Also you may get ssks if you fro it often without any form of stretching.
When I first bc'ed I found that out the hard way and started doing funky 2 strand twists that were pretty cool and moist.

Last edited:
Keep your TWA moisturized and try to keep it covered when out in the cold. A nice silky/satin, decorative scarf will do.

Hijacking - I know this is the last thing you wanna hear on a long hair care journey but in your avvie you look absolutely gorgeous with that cut. Sorry I don't really have any advice though :(

nope and i used to go outside with damp hair too. i used to wash and go like crazy. but you can just protect your hair with a nice scarf/wrap when you are out. you don't have to tie it tight. just tie it under your chin/around your neck.

Back