can flat ironing or presessing help with going natural?

levette

Paging the naturals-

did any of you continue to straighten your hair without the chemicals with a flat iron or straigtening comb. bc for me is absolutely a no-no as i look awful with short hair. but i am considering transitioning.

kristina

It can BUT (big but) overreliance on pressing can really mess up your natural texture (causing permanantly straightened hair) and can cause serious dryness and/or breakage. Whether this happens will depend on how your hair handles heat. I transitioned with braids (actually it wasn't an intentional transition, I just was a braid addict). I would get my hair pressed in between and it held up fine but I wasn't pressing once a week or anything.

shiningstar84

yes it is possible. very possible. you have to find the right person to do it, or watch an expert do it for "relaxer-like" results. i have 2 friends that made the transition. however they only wear their natural hair out once in a blue moon, so i couldnt tell you how damaged/healthy their hair is.

if u sweat alot like me, then i would discourage u from pressing your hair. at least not until the winter rolls around again.

products to try:

keracare silknseal blow dry complex
beyond the zone flat iron protectant (it's orange)
regular old grease

and please dont do this more than every 3 weeks.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I transitioned by keeping my hair flat ironed and slowly trimming away the relaxer. I didn't have hair boards then so I probably didn't go about it in the best way possible. My hair turned out fine though and it grew longer.

locabouthair

kristina said:
It can BUT (big but) overreliance on pressing can really mess up your natural texture (causing permanantly straightened hair) and can cause serious dryness and/or breakage. Whether this happens will depend on how your hair handles heat. I transitioned with braids (actually it wasn't an intentional transition, I just was a braid addict). I would get my hair pressed in between and it held up fine but I wasn't pressing once a week or anything.

i transitioned by alternating between wearing braids and pressing the roots. my hair was already short so it didn't take long for me to transition. i would cut the ends off every month or so. i agree pressing can sometimes permanently straighten your hair and can make your hair dry.

babyblue

this is exactly how i transitioned. If i had to do it all over i wouldn't because too much pressing does alter your natural texture.

Even when all my relaxer was gone and i had a full head of virgin hair i did have sections especially in the front where the strands remained straight from too much pressing which i had to chop off over time because it messed up the look of my wash and go's and puffs.

if your main goal in transitioning is to wear your real natural texture i would say avoid pressing. but if your transitioning because you want to go from chemically straight hair to wearing heat straightened hair 99% of the time then i guess it wont make a difference.

Lucia

I used to press my hair, but i also deep condintioned alot, it's prob. a good idea not to press too often. Like wearing hair pressed for 1-2 weeks then deep condition. I used to press for really cold months then wear a curlypouf or bun for summer. My hair was long and healthy.

Netta1

Nope I didn't press. I don't think its a good idea either IF you want to keep your natural hair..natural

peace

ChocoKitty

Pokahontas said:
I transitioned by keeping my hair flat ironed and slowly trimming away the relaxer. I didn't have hair boards then so I probably didn't go about it in the best way possible. My hair turned out fine though and it grew longer.

I did the same exact thing. :yep:

OneInAMillion

levette said:
Paging the naturals-

did any of you continue to straighten your hair without the chemicals with a flat iron or straigtening comb. bc for me is absolutely a no-no as i look awful with short hair. but i am considering transitioning.

I like this question. Has anyone ever transitioned to natural by getting blowouts? I see that pressing could possibly cause permanent heat damage, but is the same true for blowdryers? Also, would the hair break too much? I'm strongly considering this, I just want to lay off chemicals if possible.