Can breakage cause hair to be stuck at one length?

sexyeyes3616

My hair has been breaking i have tried aphogee treatment for damaged hair, cb smoothe triple silk, and ors replinishing, and none of those products have helped. I am assuming i will not be able to retain any length due to the breakage so therefore my hair will be stuck at shoulder length do you ladies have any suggestions that will combat this breakage problem?

locabouthair

Yeah your breakage can prevent you from retaining length dependign on how much breagae you are getting and for how long.

When I first started my journey I was shorter than neck length then it grew to shoulder. I got lots of breakage but it grew to a very thin, csee thru SL. So I had to cut it.

What is your regimen like? Tell us everything you do. Maybe you need a trim?

sexyeyes3616

Yeah your breakage can prevent you from retaining length dependign on how much breagae you are getting and for how long.

When I first started my journey I was shorter than neck length then it grew to shoulder. I got lots of breakage but it grew to a very thin, csee thru SL. So I had to cut it.

What is your regimen like? Tell us everything you do. Maybe you need a trim?

I shampoo with CB Smoothe rejuvenating and therapeutic shampoo, then nexxus biotin shampoo, and i use CB Smoothes Triple Silk and 6-in-1 reconstructor creme for deep conditioning. I wash my hair every 2 weeks and i only use heat when i wash my hair.

motherx2esq

My hair has been breaking i have tried aphogee treatment for damaged hair, cb smoothe triple silk, and ors replinishing, and none of those products have helped. I am assuming i will not be able to retain any length due to the breakage so therefore my hair will be stuck at shoulder length do you ladies have any suggestions that will combat this breakage problem?

Yes, I think that is why I have not made it to APL yet.

locabouthair

I shampoo with CB Smoothe rejuvenating and therapeutic shampoo, then nexxus biotin shampoo, and i use CB Smoothes Triple Silk and 6-in-1 reconstructor creme for deep conditioning. I wash my hair every 2 weeks and i only use heat when i wash my hair.

you said reconstructor so that means there is soem protein in there. Have you tried using a moisturizing conditioner? Are you moisturizing your ends regulary?

JustKiya

Shoulder length is the 'danger zone' - how often are you wearing your hair UP, so that it's not touching your shoulders? That's a lot of mechanical damage - everytime you move your head, your hair is brushing against whatever you are wearing - and unless you are in silk 24/7, it's gonna 'snag' and 'rough up' the ends of your hair....

classi123

I think that you should cut out the reconstructor and do that maybe every 6 weeks or when needed (I use it after and before relaxing or using a lot of heat). Replace the reconstructor with moisturizing conditioners and go from there. And to answer your question yes breakage will make ur hair uneven and barely go anywhere. I noticed more length with less breakage.

Cloud06

I've been understanding that good moisture/protein is essential. Maybe your hair doesnt like protein so much. I hate SL hair. My hair has always been SL ever since I been relaxed. Its all trial and error. I'm just making it past SL, its (in between). Whats helping me is to do what the other ladies here do, you wear buns so your ends are protected.
Do you moisturize daily maybe twice a day is needed.
Washing hair w/ conditioner always adds extra moisture without extra product.

Speaking of this I need to find me sum cute updos. . .

Extremus

I would start using a moisturizing conditioner instead of the reconstructor. Too much protein can cause breakage too.

ebonylocs

The title of your thread had me like :look: because isn't that what lhcf is all about - the fact that the reason that our hair doesn't get longer is because it's breaking, not because it's "doesn't grow". That's like the core of everything that's recommended on here.

So yeah, of course if your hair is breaking copiously, it won't get any longer.

I do agree with those that say you need more moisture.

FeelinIt

You may need to get a major cut and start from scratch. I may have to do this because my hair has been at shoulder length for over 5 years.

Tell the stylist to cut off ALL damaged ends and start again. Your hair will grow back to your present length within the year IF you baby your hair.

I would recommend braids (not too small or tight) or a sew in to protect your hair and get you over that shoulder length hump that sucks so much.

This is what I plan to do over the summer. Once May hits Houston, it's going to be Hot as hell and I will not be trying to do my hair.

My hair is so bad at the ends, they have little knots that stick to my clothing. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

MrsWatson

Story of my life....my hair never got past shoulder length because of chronic breakage. I wore my hair down every single day, had no moisture or protein balance, permed every4 or 5 weeks...man i was a mess....in the 3 months since i've started making a conscious effort to regaining and maintaining healthy hair, i've gained a significant amount of length. Protective styling, co washes and stretching relaxers have all contributed to my hair turnaround...

didirose

Shoulder lenghth hair has always been the most sensitive length here on lhcf. When I had hair this length I was wearing it in flipped hair styles when I wore my hair down, buns, and eventually I spent a summer in braids and it got me pass this length. No matter what moisture is key! Maybe it could be a simple style change for you or you may need to reevaluate if your hair is getting enough moisture and/or protein. May do a search and test out a new product to see if any positive changes results. Good Luck!