BREAKAGE...Again

Frustrated

Ladies I'm having breakage problems again and need help! I had surgery in August and heard that the anesthesia could cause breakage, so I waited until Sept to relax. Well, I'm having what you would call my normal shedding for the season but I've noticed alot of small pieces of her coming out on my clothing. Here is what I'm doing to my hair any suggestions would be appreciated. I have made significant progress and I don't want to start over.

I've been washing my hair with biosilk silk therapy shampoo, DCing with ORS replenishing pak, using lacio lacio and infusium 23 leave-in and rollersetting. Last night I co-washed with ORS mayonaise, washed with garnier frutose length and strength shampoo. I use the GF conditioner and I left it in overnight and have a wash n go today. I will be rinsing and using my lacio lacio to rollerset today.

Sorry so long I just wanted to let you know everything that I'm doing just in case something is wrong. THANKS LADIES :grin:

janeemat

Your hair is pretty. So, you just did your relaxer. Have you done a protein treatment since then (Aphoghee, Emergencee)? Of course either of these treatments will need to be followed by an deep moisturizing cond with heat.

Frustrated

Thank you for the compliment! I did a protein treatment with keraphix and I've been DCing with ORC replenishing pak weekly with heat. Do you think I need to do a stronger protein?

janeemat

Thank you for the compliment! I did a protein treatment with keraphix and I've been DCing with ORC replenishing pak weekly with heat. Do you think I need to do a stronger protein?

Keraphix is really good but I consider it a light protein. It's still one of my staples. But if you are seeing breakage I would do a strong protein. Aphogee being my choice because I know it stops breakage immediately. I'm not familiar with the ORC replenishing pak but it sounds like it is more on the moisturizing side. I will share with you that when my hair was damaged and breaking, I did for 4 wks straight Aphoghee treatments followed by Keraphix and Redken Heavy Cream mixed together with heat under a hooded dryer (plastic cap). This turned my damaged hair completely around and then I found this forum.

Frustrated

Thanks alot for that info I will try that. The ORS replenishing pak is for moisture, that's what I DC with after my protein treatment.

silverlotus

hmm, actually i think it might be too much protein. lacio lacio has protein and i believe so does infusium 23. ors mayo is a medium protein, also. not sure about the GF, but from the name "length & strength," i would guess it has some protein too.

how often are you washing? i would try cutting out the infusium 23 for a while and see if that helps. what do you moisturize with during the day?

Brownie518

If you are using that Infusium too much, it could be too much protein. You might have to give that a break and start using more moisture in your regimen. I had terrible after-effects from anesthesia one year. I had to really crank up the moisture since it really dries you out. My skin and scalp were so dry, it was pitiful. Definitely try to amp up your moisture. Oil rinses, prepoos and moisturizing DC's will probably help a lot. You should also get a nice moisturizing leave in. Keep us updated on your situation. You will find something that will help. Never fear :yep:

Frustrated

I've been uses ORS carrot oil and also the garnier frutis cream moisturizer. I've been sealing with EVOO. I tried to baggy at night, but I sweat in my head and my hair comes out soaked.

I also dilute the Infusium 23 with water because I love my rollersets with this. I will stop using it, should I also stop using the lacio lacio to roll in, because I do have the fermodyl 619 leave-in that I can use instead? Ladies I really do appreciate all your help, you guys are the reason that I've made the process that I have so far!

sareca

If you are using that Infusium too much, it could be too much protein. You might have to give that a break and start using more moisture in your regimen. I had terrible after-effects from anesthesia one year. I had to really crank up the moisture since it really dries you out. My skin and scalp were so dry, it was pitiful. Definitely try to amp up your moisture. Oil rinses, prepoos and moisturizing DC's will probably help a lot. You should also get a nice moisturizing leave in. Keep us updated on your situation. You will find something that will help. Never fear :yep:

ITA. I think it's moisture time too . :yep: ORS RP, ORS Mayo and Infusium are protein treatments. I actually think of them as heavy protein treatments. :eek: Lacio Lacio is light protein, but still protein.

Protein overload can sneak up out of no where. Over the years blamed all kinds of stuff ...new products, hard water, hormones, heat and each time it was plain ol' garden variety protein overdose.

I'd put a moisturizing conditioner on your hair when it's dry, bag it, and sit under the dryer for half an hour, then rinse. Like Brownie said you could also try an oil rinse. I love those!

sareca

hmm, actually i think it might be too much protein. lacio lacio has protein and i believe so does infusium 23. ors mayo is a medium protein, also. not sure about the GF, but from the name "length & strength," i would guess it has some protein too.

how often are you washing? i would try cutting out the infusium 23 for a while and see if that helps. what do you moisturize with during the day?

Oh! Is ORS mayo meduim? It's been a long time since I used it.

Last edited:

Frustrated

ITA. I think it's moisture time too . :yep: ORS RP, ORS Mayo and Infusium are protein treatments. I actually think of them as heavy protein treatments. :eek: Lacio Lacio is light protein, but still protein.

Protein overload can sneak up out of no where. Over the years blamed all kinds of stuff ...new products, hard water, hormones, heat and each time it was plain ol' garden variety protein overdose.

I'd put a moisturizing conditioner on your hair when it's dry, bag it, and sit under the dryer for half an hour, then rinse. Like Brownie said you could also try an oil rinse. I love those!

What moisturizing conditioner do you recommend, and what is an oil rinse? Also what do you I use to rollerset now since both products I was using are protein, or is the lacio lacio ok?

silverlotus

about the ors mayo i think it is medium. it's comparable to motions cpr. it's been a while since i used it too, so i may be wrong. also, ors rp does have protein in it, but it's considered moisturizing.

OP, you might want to try clarifying. i know for me, after a while the ors pak causes cone buildup on my hair.

another thing, i would stay away from baggying for now. it works well for some people, but constantly keeping the hair wet causes breakage for others.

i'm in class right now, when i get home i'll be back with a couple more suggestions.

sareca

What moisturizing conditioner do you recommend, and what is an oil rinse? Also what do you I use to rollerset now since both products I was using are protein, or is the lacio lacio ok?

I think lacio lacio is silk protein and it's fine as long as you didn't use a hard protein and a meduim protein right before it. :yep:

I like nexxus humectress as a moisturizing conditioner. It's easy to find at not too expensive. Suave Humecto is supposed to be comparable, but I haven't tried it yet. I love Aveda Brilliant, but if you search the forum for 'moisturizing conditioner' I'm sure you'll find hundreds.

Oil rinse thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

Deep conditioning dry hair with heat thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=154073

Deep conditioning dry hair method will cause an immediate change in your hair if moisture truly is the issue.

HTH

sareca

about the ors mayo i think it is medium. it's comparable to motions cpr. it's been a while since i used it too, so i may be wrong. also, ors rp does have protein in it, but it's considered moisturizing.

OP, you might want to try clarifying. i know for me, after a while the ors pak causes cone buildup on my hair.

another thing, i would stay away from baggying for now. it works well for some people, but constantly keeping the hair wet causes breakage for others.

i'm in class right now, when i get home i'll be back with a couple more suggestions.

I was thinking that same thing. My hair doesn't like being wet and crumpled into a small space with no air. It cause breakage no matter what products I use.

Frustrated

I think lacio lacio is silk protein and it's fine as long as you didn't use a hard protein and a meduim protein right before it. :yep:

I like nexxus humectress as a moisturizing conditioner. It's easy to find at not too expensive. Suave Humecto is supposed to be comparable, but I haven't tried it yet. I love Aveda Brilliant, but if you search the forum for 'moisturizing conditioner' I'm sure you'll find hundreds.

Deep conditioning dry hair with heat thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=154073

Deep conditioning dry hair method will cause an immediate change in your hair if moisture truly is the issue.

HTH

Sareca,

I already have the Humectress at home so I am going to try the the oil rinse and condition with that tonight when I get off before I rollerset and give you an update. Thanks so much for all your help!

silverlotus

HTH

Agreed w/ the bolded.

The only other thing I can think of that wasn't mentioned is check the ingredients list on your daily moisturizers for protein & how high up they are.

Good luck, OP. I'm sure your hair will turn around soon. :yep:

Frustrated

Ladies I went home and DC'ed with my humectress and did an oil rinse, needless to say the breakage has gotten significantly better already :yay::dance7::clap:. I will definitely add this to my routine. Thank you so much once again you have come to my rescue!

sareca

Ladies I went home and DC'ed with my humectress and did an oil rinse, needless to say the breakage has gotten significantly better already :yay::dance7::clap:. I will definitely add this to my routine. Thank you so much once again you have come to my rescue!

:yay:

It'll get better and better each passing week. I used to see about 11 broken hairs/day. I didn't think 11 was bad. It was certainly a thousand times better than when I first started my journey. Now it's more like 2-3 per week. :eek: That's completely unreal to me. Even if I pull hard on my ends I'm more likely to snatch the whole strand out from the root than to break it.

:love3: ...oh sorry... where was I? Oh yea, protein is important so you'll have to work on a balance, but I would skip the protein (except lacio lacio) for a few weeks. It'll take a few humectress session to restore the moisture level.

Last edited: