Can Anyone Just *NOT* Use Cheapie Co-Washes?

Since this thread is bumped, I guess I will update on my hair status:

After much testing and trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that my hair dislikes for a lot of cones to be left in the hair. Using and leaving in cone conditioners (Herbal Essences, Organix, etc) and then applying a styler, makes my hair feel dry dry dry.

Lately, I've been co-washing with coneless Suave/VO5 and leaving it in, and my hair feels moisturized! I also dared myself and tried using Fantasia Gel over a cheapie Suave/V05 and my hair was STILL moisturized! It had to have been the cones.

My Paul Mitchell The Conditioner Leave-in failed me, when I thought it was working. When using it with castor oil, it worked wonders. But after using it by itself, it continued to make my hair feel dry. Even though the cones in it are water soluble, that doesn't help the dry feeling after using it as a leave-in. They may rinse off when co-washing, but they remain sticking to the hair after applying it, until rinsing again.

So yeah, that's my update! I wish I didn't have to avoid cones, but now I have to be careful. Little to no cone is what's working for me!

I have the same experience with cheap conditioners. I usually have to add oils or mix with a better conditioner to make it work. Otherwise, I'm piling on the moisturizer and sealant when it's dry.

Since this thread is bumped, I guess I will update on my hair status:

After much testing and trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that my hair dislikes for a lot of cones to be left in the hair. Using and leaving in cone conditioners (Herbal Essences, Organix, etc) and then applying a styler, makes my hair feel dry dry dry.

Lately, I've been co-washing with coneless Suave/VO5 and leaving it in, and my hair feels moisturized! I also dared myself and tried using Fantasia Gel over a cheapie Suave/V05 and my hair was STILL moisturized! It had to have been the cones.

My Paul Mitchell The Conditioner Leave-in failed me, when I thought it was working. When using it with castor oil, it worked wonders. But after using it by itself, it continued to make my hair feel dry. Even though the cones in it are water soluble, that doesn't help the dry feeling after using it as a leave-in. They may rinse off when co-washing, but they remain sticking to the hair after applying it, until rinsing again.

So yeah, that's my update! I wish I didn't have to avoid cones, but now I have to be careful. Little to no cone is what's working for me!

Me, too! I can't cowash with a cone laden conditioner. My hair starts shedding a lot and rebels. :lachen: Scalp gets itchy, too.

The only cheapie I can use is Tresemme. Suave dried my poor coils out! V05 just doesn't do jack. I'm scared to try white rain.

The Suave Humectant is nothing like my Nexxus Humectress, false advertisement! I gave it away to a friend. :sad:

Something about the thickness and richness of the regular conditioners and that is why I use them for my co-wash. I have really coily 4a/b hair and I need something that is going to be just as strong. Therefore, V05 just doesnt cut it for me.

This is an excellent thread!. As I started looking through a few of my of conditioners I was amazed that not just the cheapies have "stearlkonium chloride" but I noticed that the many of the non-cheapies also....... Just to name a few!
Nexus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner
UBH Deep Conditioner
ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer
Affirm FiberGuard ........

Ladies look through your conditioners. No wonder we are having and had sooooo many problems with our hair. We continue to spend and waste our hard earned money on products that make our hair worse off in the long run. They trick us by adding cheap products that SMELL GOOD and for a short time make our hair FEEL good only with further usage eventually damage our hair. We have been robbed of our hard earned money! (Nickeled and Dimed to death)...Think about all the money we have spent over the years trying to correct our "Hair Problems". When quiet as it's kept its due to the products/chemicals/cones we put on our hair. My wastebasket I can see will be full when I'm done throughly checking labels. My eyes have truly been opened ....Thank you!

I must say I like how my hair feels when I use Humecto to cowash it versus using VO5 even though I love VO5 scents. Sometimes I cowash my hair but the con in there and let it sit for an hour. When I wash the con out, my hair is soooo friggin baby soft. It just makes you want to caress it and make babies to it haha lol

This is great thread! I was wondering why the last few times that I cowashed, my hair was horribly dry the day after.:ohwell: I used V05 Moisture Milk but I guess I need to find something else.

The peach-colored LeKair Cholesterol is less than $2.00 at Wal-Mart. I use it for CO washes and my hair does not feel dry... May be worth a try ;-)

I would encourgage you to label read.....I know that for me.....that most of those ingredients in the cheapies - can dry your hair out over time.....

For example: Vo5 Condish ingredients are:

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Steareth 21, Glyceryl Stearate, Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Leaf Extract, Soy Milk, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 20, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 33 (CI 17200)

I researched the bolded a while back and found out that this softener/ humectant was developed as a fabric softener product initially - and started being used in hair products because it is cheap.

Over time, after it seems to moisturize - can turn on your hair and dry it out. :rolleyes: so much for moisture.....

I don't use these products at all.... and I think that co washes with condishes that don't have this ingredient might be helpful to you.

Yeah, I've read up on this too; very disturbing news especially because it's in most of the conditioners out there; even the expensive ones.

This is an excellent thread!. As I started looking through a few of my of conditioners I was amazed that not just the cheapies have "stearlkonium chloride" but I noticed that the many of the non-cheapies also....... Just to name a few!
Nexus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner
UBH Deep Conditioner
ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer
Affirm FiberGuard ........

Ladies look through your conditioners. No wonder we are having and had sooooo many problems with our hair. We continue to spend and waste our hard earned money on products that make our hair worse off in the long run. They trick us by adding cheap products that SMELL GOOD and for a short time make our hair FEEL good only with further usage eventually damage our hair. We have been robbed of our hard earned money! (Nickeled and Dimed to death)...Think about all the money we have spent over the years trying to correct our "Hair Problems". When quiet as it's kept its due to the products/chemicals/cones we put on our hair. My wastebasket I can see will be full when I'm done throughly checking labels. My eyes have truly been opened ....Thank you!

Yes, Georgia, you're absolutely right! And I just found it in my beloved Kenra. :wallbash:

Does anyone have a list of conditioners that does not contain this ingredient (SC)?

One more thing, I've been turned off by the cheapies too cause it simply doesn't moisturize at all; despite the moisturizing ingredients in the list. But what pissed me off is that I found Suave (the blue condish) to have Disodium EDTA; which is a clarifying/chelating agent. Why in the world does that need to be in a conditioner? Maybe that's why the moisturizing products in it aren't even working! :sad:

Back