Calling My Henna Mix Diva's

AtlantaJJ

I am looking for a henna brand or mix that gives a deep stain and is more in the wine red family. I find that Jamila gives a me a brownish red stain and can some times appear almost golden on my gray hair.

What's your favorite henna brand (BAQ), and what color stain does it give you?

Is there anything I can add to my henna mix give me a more wine red stain?

TIA!:gorgeous:

I thought all henna will give you the same color, depending on the current color of your hair? I loved the deep burgandy color I got from my henna, and I only did it once to get the color. My hair was a dark brown to off-black color when I applied it. I get mine from an Indian supplier:

http://www.indian-herbs-exporters.com/henna-tattoos.html

Some tips to make sure you get the color you want are: do not add boiling hot water, only warm/lukewarm. Also, don't add oils to your mixture, it will decrease the amount of color deposited into the hair strand. I would also leave it in for 2-4 hours with saran wrap or a plastic cap. You can also add a little bit of a terp and let the henna sit overnight, a little ACV should do. HTH!

I thought all henna will give you the same color, depending on the current color of your hair? I loved the deep burgandy color I got from my henna, and I only did it once to get the color. My hair was a dark brown to off-black color when I applied it. I get mine from an Indian supplier:

http://www.indian-herbs-exporters.com/henna-tattoos.html

Some tips to make sure you get the color you want are: do not add boiling hot water, only warm/lukewarm. Also, don't add oils to your mixture, it will decrease the amount of color deposited into the hair strand. I would also leave it in for 2-4 hours with saran wrap or a plastic cap. You can also add a little bit of a terp and let the henna sit overnight, a little ACV should do. HTH!
Oh, I add a good bit of oils to combat dryness, I have very fine hair. That may be why my color deposit is diluted...hmmmmm. I wonder how can I avoid the dryness without the oils?:yep:

I prefer Dulhan Henna, which has a deep red dye release.

IDK what color results you'll achieve, but after using henna, my friends say that my hair looks very black.

Oh, I add a good bit of oils to combat dryness, I have very fine hair. That may be why my color deposit is diluted...hmmmmm. I wonder how can I avoid the dryness without the oils?:yep:

I used to add oils to my henna, but stopped b/c I found that it was unnecessary. A day (sometimes, two) before I use henna, I make certain that I deep condition my hair, keep it moisturized and put a little bit of oil on it.

Last edited:
Most all henna types all going to give a red initially I think. My 12 DD got a beautiful burgundy after 4-5 applications (her hair was relaxed, no previous color, sandy-brown). You might mix your henna with merlot (acidic), 100% grape juice (acidic) or the juice from a can of beets to produce more burgundy tones. :yep:

Hey there - I found that repeated application as well as having the henna on for a longer duration produce darker results. However, IMHO I found that these two things alone only intensified the color that was already depositing. I began to mix indigo with my henna and got the deeper color that I was looking for. You can play around with the mix, I never use precise measurements. I aim for a ratios ie. 2/3 henna to 1/3 indigo will give you a dark red -- 50/50 will give you a dark reddish brown -- 1/3 henna to 2/3 indigo will give you dark brown with red undertones. If you're looking for the super black apply the henna let it sit, rinse, apply the indigo, sit, and finally rinse again. I never use oils in my mix because it negatively affects the amount of color and made it harder to rinse the henna. I use ACV to bring "develop" the color in the henna. Also, I usually DC the day after to combat dryness.

I also have fine hair, but henna helps thicken each strand, I dunno how it works, but I luv it :drunk: I do a lot to combat dryness after the henna, which may be a lot to some, but I am very anal about it :spinning: I wash out the henna with a moisturizing AND DETANGLING poo a couple times, till I feel that it is all out. Then I clarifying once, check the lather outside the curtain to make sure it is all white (if the suds are a little pink or red, then there's still henna in your hair!). Then follow up one last time with the moisturizing poo to soften back up my hair. Then I dc overnight with a conditioner that is usually too moisturizing for my hair. Like NTM daily deep or NTM mask usually make my hair too mushy and soft and elastic if I used it for a normal wash session. But when I henna, these really help to bring my hair back up to its normal moistue levels. I use a mix of dominican conditioners and NTM and sleep with this in overnight. Sometimes I put a little oil for a little extra slip.

Someone also recommended deep conditioning your dry hair before hennaing. I haven't tried that yet though, and don't really know how it's done. Hopefully someone who has had success doing it this way can jump in for you.

Back