Calling all THICK, THICK 3c hair girls or Gurus!!

sterry

Hey Ladies,

I met a little girl who has super, super thick 3c hair that her mother has neglected.
She is have Mexican and Afro American.]
I need some help. She has asked me to do this child's hair.
I have no problem with what I can do with my Emu and Castor oil
, but I am opened for anymore suggestions.
This girls hais is extra, extra dry, thick hair.. I mean "Horse Tail"
Any suggestions for a smooth soft straight press and curl.
Something in expensive. Her mother wants to be able to afford the products for the up keep.
I had in mind to do this.
Wash with Soft sheen's Carson's Break Thru
Deep condition with Regis Hydrating Balm heated with Emu oil and Dabar Vatika hair oil. (will post this one)
Rinse and allow to air dry until just damp.
Blow dry on medium heat to loosen curl
Apply Charles Worthington Leave in Treatment.
Hot press with castor oil.
Open for more suggestions. What I am seeking is soft, frizz free hair and a smooth press. Though I have 4a hair I have had great success with the products meantioned, but everyone is different.

buffalosoldier

I know you have good intentions but I'm wondering wouldnt it be healthier and easier if she wears it curly?
You dont mention how young the girl is but by wearing it curly she could just wash and condtion it really good once a week. Comb thru some conditioner and moisturiser then brush it back with a lite gel if needed in a neat ponytail. Which she could either braid or wear pouffy or curly.
Then ever morning all her mother has to do is wet it comb thru with a large toothed comb and do it over.

Water is the key for thick curly hair and she doesnt have to use expensive products not for a child anyway. pantene, the aussie line, even suave coconut or vanilla florals.

If you mixed Eg.suave coconut with proclaim 7 oil ($2) and smoothed it on her hair damp you probably wouldnt need gel to get nice curls.
The girls hair sounds very low maintenance and I would keep it simple. You will be suprised how different her hair looks wet.
There is a brand for mixed race hair called Curls that you can find on naturallycurly.com they have good tips on there as well.

By the it is really very nice of you to help this child

Mija

Exotical OG
My hair is/was like that (oh if i could do high school over again-lol) but my hair didnt become manageable until I started weighing it down with conditioner. I'd suggest 2 or 3 conditioners and peanut/olive oil over that plus heat. And use the olive oil as an everyday/or other day oil -it smells but it really soaks in. I use a leave-in, homemade shea butter pomade, and Fantasia IC to smooth my edges down. I air dry or dry it first with a 2 ponytail wrap with big bobby pins, a extra-large wrap strip, and a velcro wrap to keep it in place. It takes the poof/frizz out.
Africa's Best Hair Mayonn $3.49, Pantene R&N cond $3-4, Loreal Hydravive or Ceramide conds $3-4, and Dove Intens $3+
are really good. Softsheen Breakthru shamp & cond are good too.

sterry

Thanks girls,

She is 7. And yes I have every intentions to show her how to wear hair naturally.
She has a ballet recital coming and her mother wants a press and curl done. Then worked up into a bun.
To achieve beatiful ringlet when hair is wet I plan to do a wet set by twisting hair and holding for 30 secs. before releasing.

SVT

Re: Calling all THICK, THICK 3c hair girls or Guru

[ QUOTE ]
sterry said:
Hey Ladies,

I met a little girl who has super, super thick 3c hair that her mother has neglected.
She is have Mexican and Afro American.]
I need some help. She has asked me to do this child's hair.
I have no problem with what I can do with my Emu and Castor oil
, but I am opened for anymore suggestions.
This girls hais is extra, extra dry, thick hair.. I mean "Horse Tail"
Any suggestions for a smooth soft straight press and curl.
Something in expensive. Her mother wants to be able to afford the products for the up keep.
I had in mind to do this.
Wash with Soft sheen's Carson's Break Thru
Deep condition with Regis Hydrating Balm heated with Emu oil and Dabar Vatika hair oil. (will post this one)
Rinse and allow to air dry until just damp.
Blow dry on medium heat to loosen curl
Apply Charles Worthington Leave in Treatment.
Hot press with castor oil.
Open for more suggestions. What I am seeking is soft, frizz free hair and a smooth press. Though I have 4a hair I have had great success with the products meantioned, but everyone is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you only want to help, Sterry, but a "smooth" press n' curl? On "extra, extra, dry thick hair"? Using castor oil?

Castor oil is too heavy and I can just imagine that poor child trying to do her recital with castor oil shining up her little face and irritating her eyes.

Sterry have you done a press n' curl before? I'm asking because it sounds like this will be your first time.

If this little girl's hair is as thick as you're describing, then she will have to sit still for at least 4 hours while you run the comb or flatiron through her hair. This is after you've shampooed/conditioned, gently detangled then set all that hair in clips or braids to air dry. You could use a blowdryer to save time but combined with the pressing comb or flatiron is too much heat IMO.

I think the easiest thing would be to work her natural hair into a bun with tendrils down the sides or do a curly puff with tendrils down the sides. I know the mom wants straight hair for the recital, but don't put yourself in the position to get sued if the child's hair ends up damaged. Let the mom pay a professional for thermal straightening services.

I know I sound rather discouraging because that's my intent.
Thermal straightening to get a smooth look is not for novices and I don't want to read about how the mom got angry at you for messin up her daughter's hair. I'm just concerned is all.

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
Mija said:
I air dry or dry it first with a 2 ponytail wrap with big bobby pins, a extra-large wrap strip, and a velcro wrap to keep it in place. It takes the poof/frizz out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please could you explain all this a bit more cos it sounds like something I'd like to try. what are wrap strips and velcro wraps? can you buy them?
Are you putting your hair in 2 ponytails then wrapping it down til it is dry??? sounds like it would help with shrinkage. thanks in advance

Jaquai

hello sterry, maybe you could try just flatironing it without blowing it out first. just plait it and let it dry and then flatiron or press it. it may not get it silky smooth straight but you will be able to comb through it and put it in a nice bun. i dont know about the suggestion of wearing it naturally curly everyday. that may be hard if her hair is prone to tangling. also if it is cold there, you dont want to have wet her head everyday. but you could just plait it up without straightening and only straighten for recitals. my daughter is in ballet and she always wears her hair in plaits which i pull into a bun for class. if she has a recital then i pull into a bun without braids. you can make a bun without using heat. also try pantene conditioner(any one will do) its one of the best conditioners ive found for detangling and softening dry dry hair. also something i recommend if you can find it, is a product called african royale mink oil gel. it isnt really a gel(doesnt make hair hard or offer hold) but it moisturizes really well and softens hair. i think the best thing to do is something simple. but if you do heat style you should add the oil why the hair is still wet, it soaks up better. you dont have to use alot. also use a heat protector. i use aveda damage control and ion lusterizer cream then blow dry then flatiron, on my daughter i cut out the blowdrying part and just airdry then flatiron. i also think that you should be able to get it pretty straight with a blowdryer. but it may be easier on the child if you just let it dry and flatiron. i know my girl hates the blowdryer so i dont use it on her.
hope this helps.