I need thick hair - Castor Oil??????

Islandgurrl

My hair is growing again after a brief hiatus it seems, but it's getting thin. Many of you have said you've added castor oil in your products. What products do you put it in - shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, grease, moisturizer? Is this the black castor oil or regular clear castor oil? My goal is thick, bra strap length hair. I am maybe 3-6 months away from bra strap but I would to have the thickness as well. have quite a while to get there and I do not want to cut my hair at all :look: :look:, but undersand a few inches may have to go again (I did this 3 months ago). I do not have the time like most, to take care of my hair and that is a problem that I need to rectify. I work 3 jobs and I go to school online, and my hair is suffering. Any help with products, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

hOnii

Are you taking any vitamins? A biotin/b5/pantothenic acid combo should help increase the diameter of your hair as well.

scorpian

Protein treatments like ultra sheen duo tex followed by a moisturizing cond may help. Duo tex is easy to do and doesn't take much time.

sugarose

Mix castor oil with your current leave-in (try a little first to make sure you like the mixture results). I use regular castor oil and it works really well for thickening my hair.

Neroli

I use regular castor oil to seal after applying leave-in, focusing on ends. I use very sparingly as it is a heavy oil. Sometimes, will mix castor with a lighter oil, like jojoba.

la flaca

I'd also say Henna and/or Cassia. Even if you add 1 tsp. to your conditoner every other week, you will feel the difference.

Islandgurrl

I have just started takimg my vitamins once more about 3 days ago. I'll try adding castor oil to my soon to be found regimen :perplexed

Country gal

My hair is super thick. I give big credit to castor oil. I oil my scalp with it. I use the regular clear kind from the grocery store. Check out my album to see my pre natural hair in comparison with the natural hair.

growingbrown

la flaca said:
I'd also say Henna and/or Cassia. Even if you add 1 tsp. to your conditoner every other week, you will feel the difference.

Do you add Cassia already mixed or straight out the bag?

la flaca

growingbrown said:
Do you add Cassia already mixed or straight out the bag?

Straight out of the bag works better for me. I add some melted honey to warm conditioner, then the cassia and it mixes very well, looks like a relaxer.

kiesha8185

I agree with La Flaca, henna made my hair soooo thick. Also, no heat made my hair thicker as well. I also add castor oil to my conditioners, pre-poos, and use it to seal in moisture.

Islandgurrl

I've seen a lot of posts about henna and have even seen it at the health food store, but did not pay much attention to it. Is it a hair color or a treatment? How is it applied? How often is it used?

Last edited:

kiesha8185

Islandgurrl said:
I've seen a lot of posts about henna and have even seen it at the health food store, but did not pay much attention to it. Is it a hair color or a treatment? How is it applied? How often is it used?

Henna is a plant which has a natural red-orange dye to it. When applied to the hair (depending on your original hair color) it leaves a burgandy "rinse" color. It is permanent color, and since it is natural, many women prefer it to things with ammonia or other potentially damaging agents. The color is only one benefit from henna; for some, it helps thicken the hair and also adds a really nice shine.

I use it as a moderate protein treatment and it really strengthens my hair, makes it thicker, and makes it shine. You can apply it as often as you want. Oh, and I think it's important to say that not all henna is created equal. Since this is natural, the only ingredient in it should be "Lawsinia Inermis". (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Henna should not contain any metalic substances because once that touches relaxed hair, it can literally melt your hair, so it is vital that you get your henna from a reputable source and use only BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna. You can go to my fotki and see my henna regimen and pics of what my hair looked like after I hennaed it. HTH!

SelfStyled

la flaca said:
Straight out of the bag works better for me. I add some melted honey to warm conditioner, then the cassia and it mixes very well, looks like a relaxer.

What a great idea.....Does this cause your hair to dry out? Do you add it to you DC or regular conditioner?

newflowers

Islandgurrl said:
I do not have the time like most, to take care of my hair and that is a problem that I need to rectify. I work 3 jobs and I go to school online, and my hair is suffering. Any help with products, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Have you considered altering your routine a bit. When you come in from work, put the deep conditioner in your hair, put on the bag, and sit down to the computer. By the time you finish some lessons and some homework, you can wash and condition again or just rinse in the shower. Maybe take a quick shower and leave the conditioner in your hair for the time it takes to do your studying and homework and then rinse.

I know it can be hard to schedule yourself, your pesonal care, when you are crazy busy with other things, but I can tell you from learning the hard way, you can add in hair and skin time in little increments when you don't have the full three or four hours (or however long it takes you) to spend at one time.

ladytq

la flaca said:

I agree with La Flaca. I also do recommend using alma oil in the batch and oiling you scalp with alma oil 2x per week.

la flaca

SelfStyled said:
What a great idea.....Does this cause your hair to dry out? Do you add it to you DC or regular conditioner?

The first time I tried it, my hair got really hard but after I GOOD moisturizing DC, you'll be fine.

I mix it with Elasta Qp or any regular conditioner, then rinse and then DC:)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I had made this long post about my hair-thickening regimen, only to press "post" and the board was already undergoing maintenance. :( So, here's what I do to make the long story short:

At least 10 people over the last several weeks have commented on my hair getting thicker. Here are the 3 things that I would recommend:

1. Castor oil of any kind is great. I mainly use it in my leave-in conditioner, then coat my ends with it. A little goes a long way. I wear my hair up a lot in protective styles. I get my castor oil from Sam's www.sams247.com

2. Take B vitamins: Pantothenic Acid (B5), B-50 or B-100 Complex, and Biotin. I get my Biotin from Puritan's Pride, www.puritan.com. I get my other vitamins from vitacost.com for CHEAP!!! Make sure that you drink TONS of water! That's very important.

3. Henna treatments are da bomb!! As the ladies here have already attested. I do them for condition/strengthening only and not for color. I want to try hennalucent as well. Henna is awesome!

Good luck! ;)

dillard

I just ordered some castor oil, i'm going to give it a try too! i've been taking a b50 complex and biotin. i've noticed faster hair growth (i feel new growth at 3 weeks whereas i used to notice it at 6 or 7 weeks post), but not thicker.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Dillard is right and has the GORGEOUS, healthy head of thick hair to prove it! I can definitely tell a difference with my hair, taking B-Complex 50 and Biotin. I also take Pantothenic Acid or B5. I take all B vitamins together, plus Country Life Multivitamin which has a ton of good stuff in it. ;)

Thanks, La Flaca for the cassia/henna link! :kiss: