Buying your supplies from the Koreans? Please Watch This

ThursdayGirl

This is a must watch for hair product consumers.

When was the last time you were in a black owned BSS?

Did you know that Korean distributors do not and will not sell
to black BSS owners?

Did you know these same distributors refuse to sell products
by black companies? (No... most of those products you are using that have black faces on them are not from black-owned businesses: case and point : Dr. Miracles.)

This is a good (and relatively short) documentary. If you don't watch the whole thing at least watch Parts 1 and 2.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWeLiXHcSyU

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azfEeDRvdlc

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m67P2kT7TzQ

What can we do to bring the business back into the black community?

JLove74 said:
ummmm...this is like in every forum....

Thanks for telling me, its funny though,... I haven't seen it :ohwell: ... and I usually look at every forum.

Maybe there are other people, like myself, who haven't seen it.

Its important enough to see again... I think.
Esp. in country where there are so many BBS... and we as black women are big consumers. Seems kinda shameful to patronize businesses that not only have a monopoly but are trying edge out the few black people who are left.

Well, I haven't seen it so thanks for posting it. I am still on the 1st one but it is very interesting so far.

Again, thanks for posting it!

KhandiB said:
Can anyone give me the cliff notes, Im at work and cant watch all that ..

TIA!!!

It talks about:

-how black women buy about 30% of all of the hair products in this country.... and about 80% of the hair.

-how black consumers cannot patronize black BSSs because the korean store owners have the industry on lock by:
-organizing distribution companies that refuse to sell products made by
us for us
- making duplicate items that are cheaper but not as good quality
so they don't have to sell our items.
- refusing to sell the products in korean shops
- refusing to wigs and hair to black shops (I know this is a problem
that has been discussed on this board before)
- publishing industry publications in Korean-I mean how are you
going to keep up with what's new in business if you can't read
the industry mags? (how many black folks you know that can
read korean... I think more had better learn)

-there's a new organization of black owned beauty store owners that are trying to raise awareness of regarding the Korean-owed beauty store businesses and how they are slowly eliminating black business owners.

Its our responsibility as consumers to take responsibility for what is happening ... and do something about it with our pocketbooks.

There is room for everyone... but I don't like how black businesses being discriminated against...

Im not trying to be mean but there are a few black BSS's around my way m and they are rude as hell..

Sally's is always my first stop anyways cuz I got a discount card and BSS's are overpriced.. :lol:

Thanks for the information tho :)

I have not shopped at a asian bss in yrs and doubt if i will ever step foot in one again. If there were a black bss in my town I would def check it out. Now, I mostly shop at the vitaminshoppe, wholefoods, ulta and sally's. Their customer service is good, so far.

Thank you so much for posting this. I have not seen this yet on any other site. The black community needs to support their own, if they can be found. Does Kurzuri have a website? I would like to order from them. I will pass this on to family and friends also.

ThursdayGirl said:
Thanks for telling me, its funny though,... I haven't seen it :ohwell: ... and I usually look at every forum.

Esp. in country where there are so many BBS... and we as black women are big consumers. Seems kinda shameful to patronize businesses that not only have a monopoly but are trying edge out the few black people who are left.

I agree :up:

KhandiB said:
Im not trying to be mean but there are a few black BSS's around my way m and they are rude as hell..

Sally's is always my first stop anyways cuz I got a discount card and BSS's are overpriced.. :lol:

Thanks for the information tho :)

Can you say that again? I am NOT going to support any business (black included) that are rude to me and too high.

Most of the black business are too damn high.

ThursdayGirl said:

i posted in one forum along with the new links and then someone else told me there was a thread in the OT forum where i posted the links as well

glad to see that the word is getting out though

I haven't seen this or heard anything about it, my problem is that I have never seen a Black owned BSS b4, if someone can point me to one in Philly maybe I'll give it a try. But so far Sally's is where I've been going lately, w/a discount card you can't beat that. :)

marmcdo1 said:
Thank you so much for posting this. I have not seen this yet on any other site. The black community needs to support their own, if they can be found. Does Kurzuri have a website? I would like to order from them. I will pass this on to family and friends also.

Its Kizuri and they are a very reputable black owned company. The make the best thermal heat products.

After review the tape in the other two forums on this exact topic. I refuse to even buy a bobby bin from them now. I already don't buy products from them anyways cuz of their copycat product saleing/scamming azzez.:mad:

Damn that was good! I've been thinking about this subject for years now. I always wondered how it was possible to have 5 BSS in a one mile radius, all selling the same products, and have them all stay in business. I came to the conclusion that when it comes to black women and beauty, the asian community have discovered that there is room for everyone.

I talked about this to my father a while back, and he said that korean people come from korea just to start nail salons and BSS stores, they have their own associations that provide funding to do this in korea, and once they come over here they have korean assoc. That support them.

Have you ever seen a korean beauty supply store go out of business?

Now, I don't blame them for finding a niche market....they've discovered a glodmine. However, I do not like the way some/most of these store owners treat their core consumer. Someone posted before that the black owned BSS had rude employees....well, there is something to be said about how mei ling all of a sudden needs to reorganize the shampoo bottles in every isle you go. There is a reason for this. This is not becuase of past shoplifter experiences.

I live in a black community where the average family income is 80,000/yr, and houses sell for $800,000-10million. Why the hell would any of these people want to steal a stinkin $3 dollar jar of Blue Magic? Well, it doesn't matter to asian store owners because part of the market research statistics they recieve when they start these BSS include the percentage rate of shoplifting among black people.

Another question, why is it that, eventhough we all know these stores make enough money, most asian owned BSS never clean up? I've noticed it has gotten better over the years, but I remember a time when all the hair was in a pile over here, the shampoo bottles where all smooshed over there, and the carpet look like it was growing hair....and yet we continued to come in droves(then complained about it to our friends while we opened up our new bottle of optimum care)

Lastly, I think that a woman on the documentary made a good point. The black community doesn't know how valuable it is to this country. They make money off of us, which is fine, then treat us unfairly. We create ideas out of necessity, then they take our ideas, make them their own, and don't give credit for these ideas, or atleast include us in the usage.

Did you know that companies are making cleansing conditioners now? They are geared toward caucasians because by doing this it is more market friendly.

And everybody knows that all races wear weaves now. But why are we the only ones that get a bad rep when we sport our weaves? Instead of "her extensions make her hair look so much fuller!", we get "She must be bald headed under there"

Did you know that asian women and some white women relax there hair?

And in europe (spec. germany), cornrowing, microbraiding, hair added individual braids, and dreadlocks among young white people are popular.

I could go on and on (more than I already have;)), but my point is that we should take these types of issues seriously, not just for face value. It's not just an issue of other ethnicities making a boat load off the black community. But more an issue of black people slowly loosing their right and ability to have a voice IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITY.

Last edited:
Well this may be part of the reason why some black BSS are higher priced. Tha Koreans/Asians already dominate the market, and are trying to block us out completely....yet we are still giving them our money.

This ish really pisses me off...I wish we could get it together. There is no reason why a market that specializes in hair care for our hair only should be dominated by asians. I don't see why black bss owners can't get together and do the same thing.

Since I realized that many of the products in bss are trash anyway, I have no real reason to frequent the bss that often. My staples so far are nexxus, neutrogena and scurl...all found in wal-mart. The main thing that I purchase from a bss's now are weaves and such since I like to see them up close. And even then, I try to support the black owned bss.

Last edited:
This is a great documentary and particularly something for the members of this online community to be informed of.

This is an area that we spend millions on every year. This is an easy one for us to be in control of. Who knows our hair better than ourselves?

I don't care if the people are rude, or if I pay a few dollars more... that will all begin to change as the dynamics change.

I have to step out on principle. I will only buy products from black supply stores from now on, even if their distributors and manufacturers are Korean. I hope to also open a supply store of my own or invest in one in the near future.

I cannot wait to watch this.

I haven't given money to an asian bss for years. The corporate office of the main disrtibution center for an asian bss won't even hire you if you aren't korean. You can speak fluent Korean... or even be conversant in korean like I am, and they still will not hire you. I love how they use that language barrier to keep us out of the "in crowd."The products are old, also. So what if the products are cheap, I will not give them my money.

Many of you all have tight budgets. But I really think you should do searches on the internet to find ways to circulate the black dollar. So what if I am paying higher money, I enjoy giving my money to the poor and black owned busineses.

Really you dont care about customer service?

aprilbiz said:
This is a great documentary and particularly something for the members of this online community to be informed of.

This is an area that we spend millions on every year. This is an easy one for us to be in control of. Who knows our hair better than ourselves?

I don't care if the people are rude, or if I pay a few dollars more... that will all begin to change as the dynamics change.

I have to step out on principle. I will only buy products from black supply stores from now on, even if their distributors and manufacturers are Korean. I hope to also open a supply store of my own or invest in one in the near future.

What difference does it make, because in the end 90% of the money we are giving to these so-called 'black companies' who make our hair products are white.

Let's get to the root of it first. We don't make half of the stuff that's marketed to supposedly make our hair look better and healthier. ;) Some white man in a lab coat, some white man in a suit etc.

Patrick Alès, is the founder of Phyospecific, "curl minimizer" as he calls it, he's a white frenchmen. But yet he gets $60 a pop a few times a year from a lot of us here.

This is the phytospecific man:
patrick.jpg

Where I live there are no black bss near me. There is a sally's very close to me, but I have to go to another sally's about 15 mins away because the girl at the one near me told me to go to the other sally's because they carry more black products.
There is a bss that is owned by asians but all of their employees are black and they are the nicest ppl you ever want to meet. Everytime I go there the owner's wife gives me a bag of free stuff, or discounts whatever I buy. This bss is the closest to a black bss that we have around here.
Most of the products that ppl talk about on here, they sell it there.

An Indian man created Avlon/Keracare
http://www.avlon.com/president.html

and some of their products are far superior than most I have ever tried

1QTPie said:
What difference does it make, because in the end 90% of the money we are giving to these so-called 'black companies' who make our hair products are white.

Let's get to the root of it first. We don't make half of the stuff that's marketed to supposedly make our hair look better and healthier. ;) Some white man in a lab coat, some white man in a suit etc.

Patrick Alès, is the founder of Phyospecific, "curl minimizer" as he calls it, he's a white frenchmen. But yet he gets $60 a pop a few times a year from a lot of us here.

This is the phytospecific man:
patrick.jpg

All in all, there is not ONE BSS near me and I live 10 minutes from DC.:perplexed

Last edited:
I really have a hard time watching something so outrageous as that. I mean, the amount of spending power we possess is monumental. Imagine if just the ladies of LHCF stopped purchasing products for one month! I'm sure there would be a significant drop in most of the hair companies' bottom lines. Not to be preachy, but we as a people must do better with being conscious spenders. There are more black-owned beauty companies now than ever before, who actually use GOOD ingredients (Carol's Daughter, Qhemet, Jane Carter, Anita Grant) and we need to take the initiative to create and SUPPORT our own enterprises.

I understand that everyone may not have the finances to afford the $2-$3 markup that black BSS's charge and also that some of us have been turned off by the poor service we've received at some black-owned stores. But this apathy as to where our money goes is heartbreaking. We must do better.

Thank you so much for posting this. I have never seen this b4 and plan to share this with my friends and family. There are no black owned suppliers where I live, but I will try purchasing from shops that are online (Qhemet, etc.) Its' definitely making me want to consciously support black owned businesses more.

To those of you who were moved by it also, do try to support our businesses wherever and whenever you can.

The black consumer has to be educated on what to use and what not to use to make their hair strong healthy and styled.Have you looked at the magazine racks and read the magazines on black hair care it is apparent the koreans are publishing or buying the ad in the magazines so the black consumers think thats it is black owned products they are buying. the style books they sell in the korean supply stores show mostly weaves to get you to buy their products.

MizaniMami said:
Can you say that again? I am NOT going to support any business (black included) that are rude to me and too high.

Most of the black business are too damn high.

Well to be fair...the reason that a lot of the black owned businesses are higher is because they have to buy the products from the producer at a higher price than the Koreans as the Koreans own a lot of the businesses that produce these products.

However, I do have to agree about rudeness being a factor, although it is not exclusive to the black community (one of my friends was followed around a store buy a Korean)...just like some salons that become rude once they get popular, some store owners, hair braiders, etc. can also be as equally rude. I went in once to an African hair braiding salon in GA to have my hair braided and the woman was BEYOND rude...humph, I showed her my naturally black but as I bounced out the door and up the street to another woman...people need to be very careful...

Back